inlovebutstressed

Happy Couples ....

36 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I know it happens, I've seen it. That doesn't make it right. I believe that if one has a tendency to do this they aren't going to stop just because they were told that MENA men don't like this. Grown adults really shouldn't have to be told not to yell at, berate or "correct" anyone in public. I don't believe in correcting my husband ever as he's not a child.

true agree

Edited by RFQ

RFQ [uSA] & SIMA [EGYPT]
Sima Applies for B2: 12/2012
5yr B2 approved: 02/2012
Married: 03/09/2012
NAO1: 04/25/2012
NAO2: 07/26/2012
8/8/2012: NVC Case Received
NVC #: 8/29/2012

1/24/13: AoS and 230 accepted
01/31/13: Rec'd checklist (expectedly)
02/14/13: Item @ NVC

CASE COMPLETE: 2/24/13
03/15/13: Interview date received
03/17/13: Medical
INTERVIEW: 4/03/13
"Approved Pending AP"
11/07/2013: Request for Updated Documents (via Egyptian consulate AP page)

12/20/2013: Request for return of Passport to Embassy (phone call)
01/13/2014: Passport returned to embassy

01/15/2014: Status Changed (CEAC) Visa Printed
VISA RECEIVED: 1/17/14 dancin5hr.gif

POE: JFK on 3/12/14 CLEARED!
Baby1 1/2015 Baby2 8/2106 isA

2016 Beginning naturalization process later this year, isA

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Fuul public service announcement - refried beans are made from pinto beans, fuul is made from fava beans. You can find canned fuul mudamas/fava beans in any Mid Eastern market or section of most grocery stores. They don't taste the same so it's not a proper substitute. The only similarity is texture and even that isn't exact. Egyptian fuul mudamas usually includes cumin, salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon. I also add garlic powder. I mash the beans with a heavy, heat proof cup/glass before serving.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yep! Happily married now for 6yrs this past Sunday :D Hubby has been here for 4 1/2 yrs and is waiting on his oath ceremony letter.

We drive into Houston occasionally to buy the mid eastern groceries like fresh pita bread, fuul, a certain cheese he likes, basterma, lamb or beef sausage, egyptian rice, and other little things they have. He does like refried beans but not the same way as his fuul. He actually made homemade bread last night & we ate boiled eggs, beets and the bread he made. Adam & I do work alot but whenever we are together we spend it going places together- restaurants, mall, movies, or whatever. We always have a great time in whatever we do. If we are home just relaxing, he has his arabic tv through https://www.elafnettv.com// I told him yesterday that one day Im just going to learn awhole bunch of arabic so I can understand what the movies are always laughing or singing about in arabic. It seems like every show he watches they laugh like crazy or they break out in singing mode. I love it!

Since we moved to Texas 3yrs ago we live very close to alot of my family. Most all of my family works alot but when we come together we all have a great time whether we go out shooting pool, playing card & board games at our moms house or going fishing down in galveston. Hubby loves fishing and so does my mom & grandfather. I just like to get a tan :D

I really enjoy my life with my husband and he definitely is a blessing in my life!

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Timeline

Wael and I are still hanging around! Married almost 6 yrs. He's been here for 4 1/2 yrs and became a citizen last year.

Having just obtained his MBA in May, he now has a position as a Sr Financial Analyst with a firm in Scottsdale, AZ!

I'm happy, he's happy! :thumbs:

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/355679-has-marriage-life-been-what-you-expected/page__st__15 I think I meant to send you this topic. Sorry about so many posts. I am Scatter brained today, up since 3 am :P

Oh you guys are the cutest and I agree totally my man is the sweetest too, I am happy to get your post thanks a million !!! Love the video !!!

Filed: Timeline

Fuul public service announcement - refried beans are made from pinto beans, fuul is made from fava beans. You can find canned fuul mudamas/fava beans in any Mid Eastern market or section of most grocery stores. They don't taste the same so it's not a proper substitute. The only similarity is texture and even that isn't exact. Egyptian fuul mudamas usually includes cumin, salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon. I also add garlic powder. I mash the beans with a heavy, heat proof cup/glass before serving.

online on amazon ..none the less

http://www.amazon.com/Foul-Medammas-Cooked-Beans-Cortas/dp/B000LQN5XW/ref=sr_1_5?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1343573524&sr=1-5&keywords=canned+fava+beanshttp://www.amazon.com/Foul-Medammas-Cooked-Beans-Cortas/dp/B000LQN5XW/ref=sr_1_5?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1343573524&sr=1-5&keywords=canned+fava+beans

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Welcome to VJ MENA inlovedbutstressed! Are you Egyptian? I've only known three Egyptian females on this site. Two were born and raised in the States and one came from Egypt. If you're Muslim there are plenty of those on here too that could offer advice on dietary requirements. Through my Egyptian spouse I've discovered that only the vegetarian refried beans in a can are acceptable because we don't know what kind of lard they say they use in the regular brand. Most of the time we get pinto beans in raw from in the bag from the store. They are much cheaper than the Egyptian beans and the taste is similar I hear. We make batches of it ourselves. If you go out to eat at Mexican food places here they often cook their rice and beans with the leftover lard from bacon they cook in the morning to make them more tasty. So be sure to ask if they do this before you eat it. Also some of the chocolate here carries pig lard. You have to read the labels on things and if it says "natural ingredients" in fine print then know you may be taking a risk because you don't know what those natural ingredients are unless you call the company and ask. There are many stores that sell halal items you just have to see if one is avaliable in your area. Also try googling what the local mosque or islamic center will be in your area that you're going to live. They may have an email you can write them at and they can direct you the women's group and they are very helpful with tips. They may even have a facebook page like our Islamic center does and even our women's group for our city and a facebook page from muslim women in the city. Those would probably be the most helpful with adjustments to the States, cooking questions, making friends, and find items and stores in your area. The Islamic centers I've visited have a diverse group of immigrants and married couples from various Muslim countries. I know many happy long term Egyptian couples in the States that are also not on VJ. Unfortunately often times the horror shows online here get the most attention and are talked about the longest while many of the long term happily married couples, who are finished with the process or mostly finished with the process, move on with there lives from the years of being online, and waiting to be together to being together in person, and more offline. Sometimes more senior members like this will check in from time to time but you have to stick around awhile to see it.

As for the obeying and dominate husband topic that seems to be a touchy subject as you've seen by some of the replies already. I get it though. The Wife obeying the Husband is kind of a cultural thing in Egypt and if you're a good muslim husband and wife it will mean something different to you then if one is a muslim and the other is another religion or no religion. The Arab men have a pride of being the leader of the family and that doesn't mean without respecting their Wives too. The men have their duties such as providing for the Wife and family while the women have their duties such as cooking and cleaning and taking care of the home. It's more a traditional way of thinking than a progressive or liberal western society way of thinking. I think when they talk about obeying the husband just wants love, trust and respect and in return he gives that to his wife and family. They don't like to be told no in public because it seems disrespectuful, but you will have an ear for discussion about an issue in private. I suspect it also comes from a more ancient patriarical society where the men are the leaders and elder of the tribes and they have a brotherhood and make the important decisions for the community. Some men who may have ignorance, corruption or evil in their hearts will take this message out of context and manipulate it for bad purposes. Some version of this can also happen in every society.

Timeline

I'm not sure if there was supposed to be a reply to the above? ^

Thanks for the link to the Amazon fava beans. I'll let others know about it. The recommendation for pinto beans in place of fava beans doesn't come from me actually but from Egyptian communities in three different States. It seems they've all found that fava beans in the import stores are way more expensive and difficult to find at the regular grocer. The pinto beans are far less expensive and easy to find, they are the same beans used in refriend beans in a can, and they can add the same spices to them to where they taste similar. YMMV.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I pay 79-99 cents a can for fava beans. Same price or less than I would pay for a can of refried beans. How is this expensive?

BTW - the use of fava beans/fuul is not exclusive to Egyptians.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Filed: Timeline

I'm not sure if there was supposed to be a reply to the above? ^

Thanks for the link to the Amazon fava beans. I'll let others know about it. The recommendation for pinto beans in place of fava beans doesn't come from me actually but from Egyptian communities in three different States. It seems they've all found that fava beans in the import stores are way more expensive and difficult to find at the regular grocer. The pinto beans are far less expensive and easy to find, they are the same beans used in refriend beans in a can, and they can add the same spices to them to where they taste similar. YMMV.

Unsure why it so expensive there. Every grocery store I go to, I find them to range from 69 to 99 cents a can. They are widely used in Morocco as well with many dishes. My husband buys them dried and uses them in soups as well. We have a international store here in Cincinnati and its amazing. It's called Jungle Jims and they are the largest international store I have ever seen. I have never seen so many different isles of countries in my days of shopping, they have something for almost every one. They most likely ship if you really cant find them cheaper. Just last week, I bought fava beans and chick peas mixed for 59 cents there. My husband was so impressed that we could go and buy so many different things from Morocco there that would be so hard to find anywhere else. I wish everyone had a Jungle Jim in there hometown as you would just love it.

Take and look its amazing...

http://www.junglejims.com/

Edited by foreverwaiting

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Sorry this is so short - it's late, and I really need to get to bed. I just happened to see your thread, and wanted to chime in. My husband and I are very happy. We've been together for more than 6 years now (he's been here more than 5-1/2 of those). We both hated when (small minded) people assumed he was just with me for - well, first the visa, then the green card, then citizenship - just because he was from a MENA country. Now that he's been a citizen for more than a year, those people have finally shut up!

heehee

I wish I had time to read though what everyone else has to say (hopefully another day, soon). I just remember how scary it was at times, hearing the worst of what could happen, and loving to hear the happy stories. Now we are one of the happy stories!

Best of luck to all!

venusfire

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.