JKD_88

Is this a crazy idea?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Ok, just hear me out, I know this is probably crazy but I'm desperat over here.

I was thinking...

My fiance came to visit me in February, then I visited her in May. She then tried to come visit me again in July but was denied. We finally started the K-1 process, the VSC received our 1-129F on Oct. 9, we've received our NOA1 and are now wiating the 6 month process. My idea is this, the last time she was here, at the airport they gave her a 6 month stay, that is the amount of time it takes for our proccess to finalize. Do you think that if we're honest with the agent and say that we are in the process for the K-1 visa and everything and would just like her to come wait it out with me here in the US during the 6 months which is the usual time they give anyway, do you think she would be approved?

:blush::help:

October 9, 2007- VSC received I-129F

October 17, 2007- I received I-797C (NOA1)

January 11, 2008- TOUCH

January 14, 2008- Request for more evidence

January 15, 2008- TOUCH

February 26, 2008- RFE arrived at VSC

February 28, 2008- TOUCH

February 29, 2008- TOUCH

March 7, 2008- NOA2 e-mail !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 9, 2008- TOUCH

March 10, 2008- TOUCH

March 14, 2008- Received at NVC

March 15, 2008- I received NOA2 Hard Copy

April 9, 2008- Fiance received Packet

April 10, 2008- I received Packet from consulate

May 16, 2008- Went to Brazil to be with my fiance and do the interview with her

May 30, 2008- INTERVIEW (APPROVED)

June, 9, 2008- Visa Arrived

June 17, 2008- Fly home together

September 6, 2008- Marriage Ceremony

September 9, 2008- Got Legally Married on paper

September 18, 2008- I-94 expired

January 15, 2009- Sent AOS papers to Lawyer

January 23, 2009- Received more papers from Lawer that needed to be signed

February 6, 2009- Filed AOS

February 10, 2009- AOS NOA1

February 14, 2009- Received appointment paper for Biometrics

March 5, 2009- Biometrics appointment

April 25, 2009- Received I-131

April 29, 2009- Received EAD

May, 2, 2009- Received appointment paper

I was thinking...

My fiance came to visit me in February, then I visited her in May. She then tried to come visit me again in July but was denied. We finally started the K-1 process, the VSC received our 1-129F on Oct. 9, we've received our NOA1 and are now wiating the 6 month process. My idea is this, the last time she was here, at the airport they gave her a 6 month stay, that is the amount of time it takes for our proccess to finalize. Do you think that if we're honest with the agent and say that we are in the process for the K-1 visa and everything and would just like her to come wait it out with me here in the US during the 6 months which is the usual time they give anyway, do you think she would be approved?

Personally, I think you'd be fine. My fiancée came to the USA on a B-2 visa while the K-1 process was (is) still pending. Several reliable websites cite the following allowances for this (N11.1-1 of the Foreign Affairs Manual):

(1) Simply to meet the family of his and/or her fiance;

(2) To become engaged;

(3) To make arrangements for the wedding; or

(4) To renew a relationship with the prospective spouse

In our case, she got the B-2 visa for the purpose of coming here to make wedding plans while the K-1 was pending, and there was no problems. One of the USCIS customer service reps (though they admittedly don't know much) told me that since the K-1 process is in progress, port-of-entry officials will fear marriage less, since we're being up front. My fiancée showed them the pending I-129f petition and supporting documents when she entered and had no problems at all.

I also sent her an invitation letter explicitly stressing that I would NOT marry her while she was here on a visitor visa, so that may have helped also. I also stressed in the invitation letter that I would cover all medical/travel expenses etc.

She was able to spend the summer here with me in the USA, which really helped with the sadistic wait we have to go through. Luckily, you're at the VSC, which is faster for processing these cases. My case is at the CSC (I saw another poster refer to the CSC as the "molasses in January center").

Anyway, good luck to you and your fiancée!

Love timeline:

??? 2003 -------> Started chatting regularly, became good friends

Nov 2004 -------> Fell in love

Jan 2006 -------> Met (in person) for first time

Apr 2008 -------> Wedding

Jun 2008 -------> Closed on house together

K-1 timeline:

Jun 11, 2007 -------> I-129f sent

Mar 20, 2008 -------> Visa in hand

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

Apr 26, 2008 -------> Wedding

Apr 28, 2008 -------> Filed (forms mailed)

Apr 30, 2008 -------> Forms received by USCIS

May 06, 2008 -------> Cashed check posted to account

May 10, 2008 -------> NOA1 received for EAD, AP, and AoS

May 10, 2008 -------> Biometrics appt date received

May 28, 2008 -------> Biometrics for EAD & AoS

Jun 11, 2008 -------> AoS case transferred to CSC

Jul 05, 2008 -------> AP Approval

Jul 09, 2008 -------> EAD approval

Jul 14, 2008 -------> EAD and AP received

Jul 17, 2008 -------> AoS approved (card production ordered)

Now for my obnoxious signature Meez©:

0605_10033471973.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was thinking...

You said they denied her visit in July, so I can't follow how you think she can come now on a 6 month visa given in February. They aleady denied her once in July when she would have still been within the 6 month timeframe, and now you think they would approve her because you are processing a K-1 and the 6 month authorization is expired. It would have expired in August anyway...hard to follow your line of thinking here.

JDK, obviously you are not giving up on this! LOL

All you can do is try. Buy the plane ticket and see how it goes. If she is denied...you are out that money.

If she does get in, just remember she has to return home for the interview and she must have someone in her country who can forward her mail from the USCIS to her in the states.

Good Luck!

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was thinking...

Personally, I think you'd be fine. My fiancée came to the USA on a B-2 visa while the K-1 process was (is) still pending. Several reliable websites cite the following allowances for this (N11.1-1 of the Foreign Affairs Manual):

(2) To become engaged;

In our case, she got the B-2 visa for the purpose of coming here to make wedding plans while the K-1 was pending, and there was no problems. One of the USCIS customer service reps (though they admittedly don't know much) told me that since the K-1 process is in progress, port-of-entry officials will fear marriage less, since we're being up front. My fiancée showed them the pending I-129f petition and supporting documents when she entered and had no problems at all.

I also sent her an invitation letter explicitly stressing that I would NOT marry her while she was here on a visitor visa, so that may have helped also. I also stressed in the invitation letter that I would cover all medical/travel expenses etc.

She was able to spend the summer here with me in the USA, which really helped with the sadistic wait we have to go through. Luckily, you're at the VSC, which is faster for processing these cases. My case is at the CSC (I saw another poster refer to the CSC as the "molasses in January center").

Jesse,

I am not following this either because the guidance specifically says if the US Governement determines that the, "fiancé(e) intends to return to a residence abroad soon after the marriage."

9 FAM 41.31 N14.1 Alien Fiancé(e)s

9 FAM 41.31 N14.1-1 Fiancé(e) of U.S. Citizens or

Permanent Resident Aliens

(CT:VISA-798; 03-23-2006)

An alien proceeding to the United States to marry a U.S. citizen is

classifiable K-1 as a nonimmigrant under INA 101(a)(15)(K). (See 22 CFR

41.81.) The fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR)

may, however, be classified as a B-2 visitor if you are satisfied that the

fiancé(e) intends to return to a residence abroad soon after the marriage. A

B-2 visa may also be issued to an alien coming to the United States:

(1) Simply to meet the family of his or her fiancé;

(2) To become engaged;

(4) To renew a relationship with the prospective spouse.

Timeline

I was thinking...

(2) To become engaged;

Thank you so much, you gave me sooooo much hope, I think I'm going to give it a try.

January 11, 2008- TOUCH

January 15, 2008- TOUCH

February 28, 2008- TOUCH

February 29, 2008- TOUCH

March 9, 2008- TOUCH

March 10, 2008- TOUCH

Timeline

I was thinking...

(2) To become engaged;

Oh and could you please give me the links to some of those reliable websites please, thank you :thumbs:

January 11, 2008- TOUCH

January 15, 2008- TOUCH

February 28, 2008- TOUCH

February 29, 2008- TOUCH

March 9, 2008- TOUCH

March 10, 2008- TOUCH

B)-->

QUOTE(Bill B @ Oct 28 2007, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jesse,

I am not following this either because the guidance specifically says if the US Governement determines that the, "fiancé(e) intends to return to a residence abroad soon after the marriage."

9 FAM 41.31 N14.1 Alien Fiancé(e)s

9 FAM 41.31 N14.1-1 Fiancé(e) of U.S. Citizens or

Permanent Resident Aliens

(CT:VISA-798; 03-23-2006)

An alien proceeding to the United States to marry a U.S. citizen is

classifiable K-1 as a nonimmigrant under INA 101(a)(15)(K). (See 22 CFR

41.81.) The fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (LPR)

may, however, be classified as a B-2 visitor if you are satisfied that the

fiancé(e) intends to return to a residence abroad soon after the marriage. A

B-2 visa may also be issued to an alien coming to the United States:

(1) Simply to meet the family of his or her fiancé;

(2) To become engaged;

(4) To renew a relationship with the prospective spouse.

Right. This case might be a bit more difficult since she was denied in the past (not sure what factors were there)....

My interpretation of what you cited is that getting married on the B-2 is "ok" if the new spouse doesn't intend to stay here in the USA afterwards. The last sentence before the list says "A B-2 visa may also be issued...." Thus, if you're coming for one of those four reasons and don't get married on the B-2, the "return to a residence abroad soon after the marriage" clause doesn't apply. I'm admittedly not an expert on these things, though, but I know this worked for our case so far (our K1 case is still pending).

I'm assuming the original poster wasn't planning on getting married until the fiancée was here on a K-1 (is this true?).

Like others have pointed out, since they turned her down before, they might have reason to do so again, but I say it's worth a try. If you want, I can dig up a copy of the invitation letter I used.

Good luck !

Love timeline:

K-1 timeline:

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

0605_10033471973.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well if they let her in on the tourist visa i'm sure she could stay the 6 months.

but she would have to return back for the interview and then turn around and come back again.

*edited because i realized i asked a stupid question*

Edited by freecake

K1 Timeline!

I-129F Sent - May 9, 2007

Recieved hard copy NOA1 - May 19, 2007

NOA2 !!! - August 10, 2007

Interview scheduled for Nov 6th, 2007 APPROVED weeee

Entry 11/24/07

Marriage: 1/14/08

(see timeline for full list of dates/info)

AOS

Sent package to Chicago - 1/23/2008

Recv'd - 1/25/2008

Notice Date for I-485, I-765, and I-131 - 1/30/2008

Transfer notice to Cali - 2/12/2008

Biometrics - 2/21/2008

EAD Card Production ordered 3/19/08

and again on 3/24/08 ??

AP approved 3/19/08

AP document received 3/25/08

Touched 3/27/08

Called to check case status 12/15/08 were told we are still in processing time

RFE email notice 1/9/09

Medical appointment 1/31/09. husband loses RFE paper same day.

New RFE paper requested on 2/4/09.

New RFE paper received 2/28/09..gee good thing that RFE isnt due til beginning of April!!!!!!

Send RFE reply 3/3/08

EAD Approval was NOT updated online. We had an infopass meeting for 3/6 and then the EAD shows up in the mail on 3/5!!!! cancelled appointment,

all i have to say is #######.

STILL WAITING in March 09

Timeline

Yes, my idea is that since the usual time the airport people(sorry I don't know their official title) gives is 6 months, it's perfect, she can stay here legally on a tourist visa while we wait for the K-1 visa to finalize, once it's finalized then and only then do we get married. This would be great not only because we would be together but because we can plan our wedding.

Well if they let her in on the tourist visa i'm sure she could stay the 6 months.

but she would have to return back for the interview and then turn around and come back again.

Yes, I realize that and thank God that is not a problem for us, is this the only issue? If it is I'm going to give it a try.

And Jesse, yes a copy of your invitation letter would be great, and if you could give me the links to thos reliable websites you mentioned in your first post I'd greatly appreciate it.

Edited by JKD_88

January 11, 2008- TOUCH

January 15, 2008- TOUCH

February 28, 2008- TOUCH

February 29, 2008- TOUCH

March 9, 2008- TOUCH

March 10, 2008- TOUCH

Yes, my idea is that since the usual time the airport people(sorry I don't know their official title) gives is 6 months, it's perfect, she can stay here legally on a tourist visa while we wait for the K-1 visa to finalize, once it's finalized then and only then do we get married. This would be great not only because we would be together but because we can plan our wedding.

Yes, I realize that and thank God that is not a problem for us, is this the only issue? If it is I'm going to give it a try.

And Jesse, yes a copy of your invitation letter would be great, and if you could give me the links to thos reliable websites you mentioned in your first post I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sure thing, I have that document (invitation letter) at work and I'll send it to you tomorrow. As for the web sites, I'll dig them up too, but I should clarify that I only think they're reliable because a friend who went through this said they were, so "reliable" isn't a horribly strong assertion.

Love timeline:

K-1 timeline:

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

0605_10033471973.gif

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You haven't mentioned why she was denied. This is a critical detail. I surmise she was denied because she tried to re-enter too soon after exiting. The B2 visa is not intended for residence. It is intended for visits. So, how long was she here the last time she did visit and what was the reason given for the denial of entry?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

As pushbrk noted above, the reason for her denied entry is critical. Did they stamp a reason code in her passport? You must address these issues before shelling out money for a plane ticket. There is no guarantee any time she comes here that she'll be allowed entry, but with a previous denial it becomes less likely.

Timeline

Sure thing, I have that document (invitation letter) at work and I'll send it to you tomorrow. As for the web sites, I'll dig them up too, but I should clarify that I only think they're reliable because a friend who went through this said they were, so "reliable" isn't a horribly strong assertion.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. And don't worry any information is valuable at this point lol

You haven't mentioned why she was denied. This is a critical detail. I surmise she was denied because she tried to re-enter too soon after exiting. The B2 visa is not intended for residence. It is intended for visits. So, how long was she here the last time she did visit and what was the reason given for the denial of entry?

In February she was here for 2 weeks then when she tried again in July it was denied, the guy didn't even look at her, he saw one piece of paper and said she didn't have enough proof she was coming back.

January 11, 2008- TOUCH

January 15, 2008- TOUCH

February 28, 2008- TOUCH

February 29, 2008- TOUCH

March 9, 2008- TOUCH

March 10, 2008- TOUCH

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
In February she was here for 2 weeks then when she tried again in July it was denied, the guy didn't even look at her, he saw one piece of paper and said she didn't have enough proof she was coming back.

What do you see as different now? What transpired to cause the CBP officer to look at proof she would return?

Please help us help you.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.