emcia_81

Beneficiary's criminal background checks.

12 posts in this topic

Hello ya'll

I have a little ''dilemma''. I understand that as a beneficiary I need to submit at the US embassy my criminal record statements from all the countries that I used to live for more than a year. I have one from Ireland (dated May 26 2014) and from Poland ( dated October 22 2014). Our case has been approved just last Friday so we still are quite far from the embassy appointment ( most likely it will happen at the end of January and beginning of February ). My question is how long these certificates are valid for? I heard that they are ok for 12 months. Do you guys think that it's better to request more up-to-date ones or I will be fine with the ones I have now? If i use the old ones will they question me why these documents are so old even though their period of validity is 12 months. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Most police certificates are valid for one year, and they are accepted at the embassy. You will need to post this question in your embassy group to see if your consulate only accepts those obtained 6 or 12 months prior to interview.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

If the beneficiary lived in the US for one year during the period that we have to submit the records for, does that mean we have to separately request one from the US or is that already taken care of with the USCIS/ FBI background check?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

for me I can get one here easily from Turkey, but it's dangerous and hard to go back to Syria to get a new one, I've already had an old one from Syria and I don't know if the officer at the embassy will accept it or not?

You need to check the specific requirements for your embassy. For example, UK allows them up to 12 months but Morocco only allows them for 6. It should be on the embassy website.

Immigration Timeline

June 2013: Met whilst working at a summer camp in Michigan 

K1

November 1st 2014: I-129f submitted for K1 visa

February 24th 2015: Visa in hand!

February 26th 2015: POE at Las Vegas airport, then onwards to Oregon! 

March 6th 2015: Marriage (with a "real" wedding to follow next year on 7/6/2016)

March 9th 2015: AOS, EAD & AP submitted

September 22nd 2015: Interview

January 14th 2016: Two year Green card received -phew!

ROC

August 8th 2017: 90 day window begins! ROC time!

September 28th 2017: Biometric Appointment in Portland, OR

March 5th 2018: Case received by local office

August 18th 2018: 18 month extension letter mailed

December 2018: Case moved to another office

February 2019: I was emailed that I was approved and my card was in production the same day of my N400 interview 😂

N400

August 8th 2018: Window opens to submit naturalization application

August 13th 2018: N400 Application submitted online 

August 14th 2018: NOA1

September 6th 2018: Biometrics

February 6th 2019: Interview Date! APPROVED!

February 6th 2019: I was asked to return later the same day for my Oath Ceremony! :dance:

❤️ Our Visa Journey is finally complete ❤️

I am the Beneficiary

If the beneficiary lived in the US for one year during the period that we have to submit the records for, does that mean we have to separately request one from the US or is that already taken care of with the USCIS/ FBI background check?

No you don't need one from the US. That's what is on US embassy page here in Poland. Check the US embassy page of your country.

ll immigrant visa applicants aged 16 years or over must submit a police certificate from their current country of residence and/or nationality if they have lived there for six months or more. Police certificates are also required from all other countries where the applicant has resided for at least one year (except the U.S.).

Edited by emcia_81

You need to check the specific requirements for your embassy. For example, UK allows them up to 12 months but Morocco only allows them for 6. It should be on the embassy website.

Thanks for your feedback :)Yes, here in Poland it also says that certificates are valid for 12 months from the date of issuance. I was just a tad concerned that they can ask me why they are so old :)

Filed: Other Timeline

USCIS knows everything about you. They request all information by their own.

for me I can get one here easily from Turkey, but it's dangerous and hard to go back to Syria to get a new one, I've already had an old one from Syria and I don't know if the officer at the embassy will accept it or not?

Since there is so many Syrian refugees living in Turkey there should be a Syrian consulate or embassy. I'd contact them and see if they can obtain a new one on your behalf. How old is the old one?

If your certificate is for a country you lived in but are no longer resident in, its valid indefinitely (i have researched this, as I have same issue) so long as it was issued after you ceased being resident and you have not resumed residency there.

If you are resident in the country, then I know the US embassy in UK says that it accepts them for 12 months, but other countries may vary.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Since there is so many Syrian refugees living in Turkey there should be a Syrian consulate or embassy. I'd contact them and see if they can obtain a new one on your behalf. How old is the old one?

thanks my dear I really appreciate this

but for me as oppositionist for the Syrian regime they won't me put a foot inside of the consulate, what do you think about a regime who have killed more than 250000 people because they have said NO

it's Ok, I think I can call one of my relative inside of Syria to get me a new one.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.