JoeMama

INTERNATIONAL MARRIAGE BROKER?

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

A fiance visa could be granted or denied on the discretion of the consular office based for instance on how much time the two of you have spent in each other's personal company. So the actual designation of what kind of website you met on becomes even less important to their decision. Since all visa applicants are background checked in the same way anyway, the discretionary power of a particular consular officer regarding how you met (as opposed to how your relationship matured) is such that he or she either has prejudices against particular websites or does not.

I don't think you will want to say that the two of you decided to get married before you met in person regardless of whether you met on an IMB or not. In fact, if you go to the scammer boards, almost all of the American men currently being scammed out of thousands of dollars are on Match.com or Yahoo. Regardless of IMBRA's sole concentration on the idea that the man might be bad, the consular officers are trained to spot whether the woman is on the level or not. These people have saved many a man their house and bank account.

If, on the other hand, you've been to the Ukraine 4 times to see the same woman over the course of 18 months and you have summer winter and spring photographs to prove it...it also will not matter what you put down as where you met. The decision will be made on the viability/credibility of the relationship.

Now I realize that finances might make taking 4 trips impossible...so good luck on those two weeks of being with her in person and, IF you still feel the same after the two weeks, by all means go for your happiness and hers.

Edited by MidnightinMoscow

Timeline

Here is a question that I actually do not know the precise answer to: if two people met on Match.com (exempt from IMBRA) and want to get married before they have ever met in person...and then meet each other in Moscow and apply for a visa two days later...

regardless of IMBRA, do or don't they have to tell the consular office how they met and how much time they have spent in person?

Or does the fact that Match.com is exempt mean that neither party to the visa application has to admit that they met online at all?

In any event, an applicant has to say how long they have known each other in person. They have to show photographs and email records to prove a relationship over time, however little that time may have to be.

If it is expected that the applicants would explain in the interview that they met over Match.com or other exempt website, then checking IMB or not will only really serve the "survey" function written at the end of the IMBRA law where the DHS is supposed to track "IMB marriages" for what happens later on.

Edited by MidnightinMoscow

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
regardless of IMBRA, do or don't they have to tell the consular office how they met and how much time they have spent in person?

That question is usually asked regardless of if someone met online (i.e., they could have met while on holidays somewhere).

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Timeline

That question is usually asked regardless of if someone met online (i.e., they could have met while on holidays somewhere).

So if the consular officer has a problem that the two of you met at Hot or Not dot com, it won't matter that Hot or Not dot com is exempt from IMBRA because it has mostly Americans on it. If you've shown that you met on a non-serious platform and then rushed into marriage, you are on thin ice. :dance:

The IMB question is, QED, there for survey purposes because they are going to be asking you how you met in the interview anyway.

Now another question that I do not know the precise answer to is more important: how much extra time does the background check take and is it true that such background checks were already being done on Americans since 2002?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I *think* they were - but the information was not required to be disclosed to the foreign fiancee. And concern was sparked when a few foreign brides showed up in the US to move into violent households and turned up murdered not long after at the hands of their previously-convicted-for-domestic-violence husbands.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I want to know how the USCIS defines as a "INTERNATIONAL MARRIAGE BROKER" in I-129F? I met my fiance on a personals website, RussianEuro.com. I do not know if this site is deemed as a "International Marriage Broker" service as defined by the USCIS. I paid for a year-long membership with unlimited membership contact. They do not monitor or censor letters, instant messenging, etc. She contacted me first with a positive message through this website. We immediately moved to using Yahoo Instant Messenging because I can log our chat sessions. But I did not know this would come in handy later on as our relationship had progressed to love and the discussion of marriage.

If anyone has a detailed description from USCIS that defines an "INTERNATIONAL MARRIAGE BROKER", I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks for your time! ;-)

I am not sure and I don't think USCIS is either. If i were youI would say yes and list it. It reallyisn't a big deal unless you have a serious criminal record.At first it slowed everone down because immgrations wasconfused but i think it moves quickly now

filed 129 with vermont 4/19/06

first notice 5/3/06?

IMRA RFE 6/19/06

snail mail RFE 6/22/06

returned 6/22/06

email they recieved 6/26/06

second RFE email 7/11/06

recieved 7/22

returned 7/24

touched 7/25

APProved 10/02/06

NVC sent to Moscow 10/17/06

package from Embassy 11/17/06

interview 01/11/07

approved visa 01/11/07

arrived 02/7/07

married 04/13/07

filed AOS 05/13/07

biometrics 06/06/07

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

So I am in a similar situation. Met her on arablounge.ocm. I paid for the service and she did not. She could have and she chose to be a free member where she can flirt and just reply to messages very similar to match.com and the like. arablounge members are mixed from the US and abroad. It does not cater specifically for Americans meeting people outside the country. I am struggling with the IMBRA question but do feel like i fall under exception B above.

I call USCIS and they advised me to as an IO via infopass...

any thoughts?

also, what are the disadvantages of checking the imbra box?

thanks

I-130:

05/26/07: Mailed USPS; 05/31/07: Priority Date established
09/13/07: Received NOA1 (PD 5/31, RD 5/31, ND 9/10, PM 9/11)
11/15/07: Case Approved
11/20/07: Received NOA2 by mail (PD 5/31, RD 6/9, ND 11/15, PM 11/19)

I-129F:
06/27/07: Mailed USPS; 07/09/07: Received NOA1 (PD N/A, RD 7/2, ND 7/6, PM 7/6)
11/20/07: Received NOA2 by mail (PD N/A, RD 7/6, ND 11/15, PM 11/19)
12/10/07: NVC Received case (12/24/07: Received Packet 3 in the mail)
01/02/08: Email from consulate. Interview scheduled on 01/23. Interview letter in the mail.
01/23/08: Interview in Vancouver Approved
01/24/08: K-3 Visa granted

I-485/I-765 (AOS/EAD):
02/22/08: Mailed USPS; 03/03/08: Received both I-797C NOAs by mail (RD 2/24, ND 2/29, PM 2/29)
03/19/08: Biometrics
05/07/08: EAD card received
07/28/08: Interview Notice Received. (ND 7/23)
09/29/08: Interview - Approved Class CR6

10/18/08: Received welcome letter; 10/23/08: Received Conditional Permanent Resident Card (PM 10/21)

I-751 (Remove Condition)

07/01/10: Mailed USPS
07/16/10: Received I-797C NOA by mail (RD 7/12)
07/29/10: Biometrics Appt Scheduled for 08/19/10 (ND 7/26)

09/16/10: Condition lifted and Permanent Resident Card Printed

09/25/10: Permanent Resident Card received

N-400 (Citizenship):
03/03/14: Mailed USPS
03/15/14: Received I-797C NOA by mail (PD 3/6, RD 3/06, ND 3/10)
03/17/14: Biometrics Appt Scheduled for 03/27/14 (ND 3/13)

04/03/14: Placed inline for interview scheduling

06/04/14: Interview Notice Received with Interview scheduled for 7/8. (ND 6/4)

07/08/14: Interview + RFE. Response Mailed 7/12. Website updated on 8/21 that response received. 8/25 Placed in queue for oath.

09/05/14: Oath Ceremony Letter Received (ND 9/2)

09/17/14: Oath Ceremony / Naturalized

PD = Priority Date, RD= Receipt Date, ND = Notice Date, PM = Post Marked

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
So I am in a similar situation. Met her on arablounge.ocm. I paid for the service and she did not. She could have and she chose to be a free member where she can flirt and just reply to messages very similar to match.com and the like. arablounge members are mixed from the US and abroad. It does not cater specifically for Americans meeting people outside the country. I am struggling with the IMBRA question but do feel like i fall under exception B above.

I call USCIS and they advised me to as an IO via infopass...

any thoughts?

also, what are the disadvantages of checking the imbra box?

thanks

There really is no disadvantage of checking the box and providing the website information. On the other hand, if you say you didn't meet via an IMB and they think you did, well there is a potential for a problem.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

You're reading things into then definition that are not there. The IMBRA definition says nothing about intentions.

Sheesh...excuse me for not quoting exactly, however if the INTENTION of the company is to facilitate these types of services between the two, then it is one (refer to the scanned defenition after your last post).

By the way, I chose to be honest and not try to skimp by hoping to get a bye because of the complicated definition. I claimed an International Marriage broker and it never was an issue throughout the entire process! Visa received this week!

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.gif3dflagsdotcom_colom_2fawl.gif

You can visit us at: www.BradAndVicky.com

CR-1 Process (I-130)

06/02/06 - I-130 received @ USCIS Texas Service Center

06/26/06 - NOA1 received, Dated 6/22 & check cashed

08/29/06 - Approved by email - 91 DAYS!!!

09/05/06 - NOA2 received by mail

09/20/06 - NVC assigned Case #

10/02/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Generated

10/04/06 - DS3032 Shortcut Emailed & AOS Fee Bill Shortcut Sent

10/06/06 - Received email acceptance of DS3032

10/18/06 - Received & Returned IV Fee Bill

10/20/06 - I-864 Package Generated, Shorcut Sent

11/01/06 - DS-230 Package Generated, Shortcut Sent

12/01/06 - Case Complete!!!

12/07/06 - Case sent to US Embassy, Bogota

01/15/07 - Received packet from Bogota!

01/30/07 - Bogota Interview - Approved! (visa received same day)

02/08/07 - Welcome to the E.U. mi Amor!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
You're reading things into then definition that are not there. The IMBRA definition says nothing about intentions.

Sheesh...excuse me for not quoting exactly, however if the INTENTION of the company is to facilitate these types of services between the two, then it is one (refer to the scanned defenition after your last post).

By the way, I chose to be honest and not try to skimp by hoping to get a bye because of the complicated definition. I claimed an International Marriage broker and it never was an issue throughout the entire process! Visa received this week!

No mention of intention there. This is a legal definition, and in legal definitions exact words matter.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I was recently told by the US consulate in Guangzhou that whether or not the place you met is a marriage broker or not is determined by USCIS, not the consular officer at the interview. Which means that no matter how you met you furnish the same proof of a real relationship at the time of interview. Whether or not it was an IMBRA institute only matters for getting the I130/I129f approved in the first place.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I can say for sure and it is. If you paid for addresess or the ability to contact people and it is not a religious based organization then it is considered to be an International Marriage Broker. If you contact her from a free site it is not or if it is one primarily operated for US citizens it is not. If you look around this section you will find the legal definion but it really boils down to if you paid for anything, it is an IMB

Religious based organizations are not the only exception. I'm amazed at how often this little section gets overlooked.

"The Non-Primary Business with Comparable Rates": a domestic dating service or other primary service whose principal business is NOT international dating and which charges comparable rates for comparable services to all individuals, men and women, domestic and foreign."

My read is that websites where one posts their own profile and pays a single or monthly membership fee whether they meet somebody next door, nobody or a foreign national, are not IMB's. Anecdotally, it doesn't seem to make much difference how you answer the question. If you have a criminal record, and the website doesn't obtain it and supply it to your fiance, (That's their part of the law.) then the result is the same. Either the record or non record will be disclosed at interview or not. All indications so far point to NOT. You just follow the procedures the same whether you check yes or no.

There really are true IMB's out there who do a lot more than post profiles and allow contact for a single fee. They are "marriage brokers" not internet dating websites.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

How about ICQ?

12/14/09 - I-751 mailed

12/23/09 - Check cashed

12/28/09 - NOA1 (dated 12/21/09)

01/03/10 - I-797 NOA received for biometrics appt

01/26/10 - Biometrics appt.

01/27/10 - Touch

04/29/10 - Approved

reminder for myself: apply for citizenship in november 2010

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
How about ICQ?

Without joining the site, I can't tell for certain but it certainly doesn't look like any IMB to me.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

ICQ is just a free site for people to chat. If you meet someone on ICQ, it would not be considered an International Marriage Broker. The IMB is an organization that charges for people to meet, use translation services and arrange other things for a fee. ICQ is a lot like AOL except it's free.

I don't think anyone would consider meeting on ICQ as a marriage broker arrangement.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.