PauPau

Help!! Possibilities of extending K1 visa validity, delaying medical and interview, or re-issue of K1 visa?

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am writing to consult about our case. My packet 3 was already delivered to the US Embassy on 19th June but I haven't done my medical yet and I'm still waiting for the packet 4 that contains my interview date.

I am in an awkward situation now whereby my position at work is being made redundant and my employment is ending on September 2014. However, my boss is offering me a contract position and they are willing to extend me until April 2015. If our visa gets approved anytime in the next few months, our plan is for me to fly to US in January 2015 which means I am unemployed from October to January with nothing much to do. To be completely transparent, if I take this offer, it will let me and my fiancé save more money to support my move to the US. And it will only be like extending for just another 4 months from our original plan if I fly sometime in May 2015.

In no way we would like this to have a negative impact on our K1 visa application so we are seeking your advice. Here are our questions and concerns:

I am very much willing to complete this process but I read that K1 visas can only have a maximum validity of 6 months from the date of the medical, is that correct? If I get approved, are there any possibilities to extend the validity beyond 6 months given my situation? Or what are the chances that my K1 visa will be re-issued? Do I have to pay for another visa fee and undergo a new medical? Understandably, we are hoping to avoid to restart the whole K1 process again.

Alternatively, is there a way to extend our petition approval? Our letter states that it is valid until 11 September 2014. Can I have my medical and interview done at a later time?

I hope you will be able to advice on the next best course of action to accommodate our situation. Please let us know if you think there will be any negative impact in our visa application and we will coordinate and work things out.

As always, thanks in advance for your helpful insights!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am not familiar how the the K1 visa process works there in Singapore because you have the packet 3 and now waiting for the packet 4 which has your interview schedule? In the Philippines, interview schedule will be done by the applicant..and you are right, visa expiry starts on the first day of your medical and it is valid for 6 months..

Check with the embassy or others who've gone through Singapore before you. For Ireland, the visa expires 6 months after approval, not after medical exam. Also, there are ways to stall, like not having your medical exam yet, and I think you can also reschedule your interview. the embassy can extend the petition in 4-month increments. Also, if you're worried about being unemployed when you get here (you will be), get married in a courthouse once you arrive. Your EAD card could be in your hands in about 2 and a half months from filing for AOS. Get here earlier, start working here earlier. You have options. :)

K1 Visa timeline:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/01/2014 - mailed our petition

07/25/2014 - Johan arrives in Los Angeles! 

*See updated timeline for specific dates.*

AOS timeline:~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

08/02/2014 - AOS, EAD, AP applications mailed. 

11/17/2014 - K2 gets an interview waiver letter in the mail (dated November 12th) (K1 has never gotten this letter)

08/24/2015 - Green cards are FINALLY in hand after nearly 13 months of waiting. 

ROC timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

05/01/2017 - ROC application sent 

05/02/2017 - CSC receives our package

05/03/2017 - Official NOA1 date

05/10/2017 - MO cashed at our bank

05/12/2017 - NOA 1 is in the mailbox.

05/20/2017 - Biometrics letter in hand

05/31/2017 - biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

06/19/2018 - ROC still pending with no news but that wonky glitch back in February, so we went ahead and filed for citizenship

N-400 timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

06/19/2018 - N-400 application filed online

06/20/2018 - NOA1 received online for Naturalization application

06/25/2018 - Biometrics notification online (PDF Document)

07/12/2018 - Biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

I am not familiar how the the K1 visa process works there in Singapore because you have the packet 3 and now waiting for the packet 4 which has your interview schedule? In the Philippines, interview schedule will be done by the applicant..and you are right, visa expiry starts on the first day of your medical and it is valid for 6 months..

Hello! Thanks for your message! Yes here in Singapore the Embassy schedules our interview appointment which is written in the packet 4 that they will mail to us. The validity is same here, it starts from the medical.

Check with the embassy or others who've gone through Singapore before you. For Ireland, the visa expires 6 months after approval, not after medical exam. Also, there are ways to stall, like not having your medical exam yet, and I think you can also reschedule your interview. the embassy can extend the petition in 4-month increments. Also, if you're worried about being unemployed when you get here (you will be), get married in a courthouse once you arrive. Your EAD card could be in your hands in about 2 and a half months from filing for AOS. Get here earlier, start working here earlier. You have options. :)

Hi Tina and Johan, thanks for your message and advice! I think I got too worried last Friday when I found out that I am being made redundant. Thankfully I am getting a severance package which will help a lot on the wedding and on the months that I will be unemployed. All things considered, we have decided not to delay the visa application. You are correct, the earlier I get to US, the earlier I can start with my new life there!! The Embassy also replied to me and looks like I am putting our application at risk if I decide on delaying it because there's no guarantee. I'll post their reply below for the benefit of other readers who maybe faced in the same dilemma. Thanks again!! :)

Hi all,

For the benefit of anyone who may face the same dilemma in the future, here's what the Singapore US Embassy replied to me when I sent them the above query. All things considered, my fiance and I have decided NOT to delay the application process. I have written back that we will continue with the application now so I am just waiting to know when my interview schedule will be. Wish us luck!! :)

Hope this helps anyone in the future!!

Dear Madam,

K Visas are valid for a maximum of six months subject to the validity of the applicant’s medical report. Once your visa is issued, we will NOT extend the validity of your visa and neither will we reissue your visa. So, you need to consider when you will be travelling before requesting for an appointment.

You may still be scheduled for an appointment even after your petition expires. In such an event, the petitioner will need to furnish a new signed letter of intent to marry. The Consular officer will then determine whether the validity of the petition can be extended.

Please contact us nearer to the time that you are ready for your appointment. Appointment slots are subject to availability.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Immigrant Visa Unit

U.S. Embassy Singapore

6476-9100

singaporecon@state.gov

Hello! Thanks for your message! Yes here in Singapore the Embassy schedules our interview appointment which is written in the packet 4 that they will mail to us. The validity is same here, it starts from the medical.

Hi Tina and Johan, thanks for your message and advice! I think I got too worried last Friday when I found out that I am being made redundant. Thankfully I am getting a severance package which will help a lot on the wedding and on the months that I will be unemployed. All things considered, we have decided not to delay the visa application. You are correct, the earlier I get to US, the earlier I can start with my new life there!! Thanks again!! :)

You're welcome. I'm glad you're moving forward with the application. Good luck at your interview. :)

K1 Visa timeline:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

02/01/2014 - mailed our petition

07/25/2014 - Johan arrives in Los Angeles! 

*See updated timeline for specific dates.*

AOS timeline:~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

08/02/2014 - AOS, EAD, AP applications mailed. 

11/17/2014 - K2 gets an interview waiver letter in the mail (dated November 12th) (K1 has never gotten this letter)

08/24/2015 - Green cards are FINALLY in hand after nearly 13 months of waiting. 

ROC timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

05/01/2017 - ROC application sent 

05/02/2017 - CSC receives our package

05/03/2017 - Official NOA1 date

05/10/2017 - MO cashed at our bank

05/12/2017 - NOA 1 is in the mailbox.

05/20/2017 - Biometrics letter in hand

05/31/2017 - biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

06/19/2018 - ROC still pending with no news but that wonky glitch back in February, so we went ahead and filed for citizenship

N-400 timeline: ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

06/19/2018 - N-400 application filed online

06/20/2018 - NOA1 received online for Naturalization application

06/25/2018 - Biometrics notification online (PDF Document)

07/12/2018 - Biometrics appt (Oxnard, CA)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.