The Nature Boy

Roll Call of Fallen Commrades

2,825 posts in this topic

Expecting moderators to be someone's "editor" is a little much. He knows what he can say and not say I'm sure.

And I'd be willing to bet if you saw it, you would agree with me. Moderators edit posts all the time if someone complains about a term they find offensive. I'm stating this as this thread is supposedly providing feedback, it has nothing to do with who it involves. I see it as an inconsistency, so I am simply noting it.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Just sayin' if I had to comb through one of his novels after a report and had no interest in the context, I'd delete it too. I wouldn't waste time censoring the post. But then I wouldn't do any of it for free.

And that is exactly what everyone has been complaining about, rash moderator decisions and inconsistency. It's the principle involved, not the user.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Hmmmm...I think there has to be a reasonable compromise. We can't expect Mods to be perfect. Can't expect Mods to stay busy cleaning up poster's TOS violations.

Poster has to bear some responsibility.

I read the post. The abbreviated version for Lesbian is an old & well known slur.

Poster bears full responsibility when the violation is this clear & egregious.

Hate speech is a Zero Tolerance violation. (a clean sweep of the entire post might inhibit future violation)

Edited by Crashed~N2~Me

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

And that is exactly what everyone has been complaining about, rash moderator decisions and inconsistency. It's the principle involved, not the user.

Well I think the real complaints were because of suspensions, bans, and lack of transparency. Maybe that's just me though. If someone uses derogatory language, I think it's fair the offending post would be removed with a note of why. The offending user can then repost with non-derogatory language. A repeat offense would be a thread ban with a moderator note explaining. What's wrong with that? Rewriting the post the correct way may be a "lessons learned" for the offender.

Timeline

Oh Ok. Guess it is just me.

No, maybe I explained it wrong. I am signed up so that if one of my posts gets quoted, I get an email telling me who quoted it and it shows the reply along with a link to go to the post. Kip's post got deleted, but I had already been notified and I can read the post in my email. I just got back home and checked the thread. Now I'm going to read the email so I can see what he posted. Also, when you get a chance, take a look at the moderator response in the upper forums that I linked to earlier today and see what you think. I think we need more replies like that one. Here it is again. Since they are following this thread closely, I think it would be good if we gave them some feedback.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/497511-front-loading-at-us-embassy-lagos/?p=7029416

Hmmmm...I think there has to be a reasonable compromise. We can't expect Mods to be perfect. Can't expect Mods to stay busy cleaning up poster's TOS violations.

Poster has to bear some responsibility.

I read the post. The abbreviated version for Lesbian is an old & well known slur.

Poster carries responsibility when the violation is this clear.

But they do clean up TOS violations. A lot. Not too long ago that term probably wouldn't have raised an eyebrow here. What I'm getting anyway is, we don't know what's ok and no ok to post in many cases. Slang didn't seem to be a big deal here until AJ's abbreviation of Chinese Communist. There was a whole thread on what was ok or not. Some terms are obvious, others not so much, IMO. Until gay immigration started, just about anything concerning gays was ok to post. Now that we have gays in the forum, it's not ok to post some of that. But IMO, if it's not ok now, which it isn't, it never should have been ok.

I agree that poster owns it with a clear violation, but I have seen similar posts never get touched, yet alone deleted. Some do get edited, even in Current Events. I'm not in any way saying this to bash moderation. I am trying to provide some feedback, that's all. This place has been in an uproar, and I think this thread has provided a positive place for some venting and suggestions. Obviously Admin is allowing Penny and Kip to post or they would have been nuked at once. It seems to me that our voices are at least being heard. Maybe nothing will change, but it's better to provide constructive feedback than just bashing moderation all the time.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline

Howdy Kathyrn. :star:

Thanks for letting us blow off steam. This thread was epic.

As for me I am about to go get drunk and party and look at hot Asian babes. (Wedding party) Try to remember to take pics.

For the record - As lead moderator, I am the only moderator with the ability to 'edit' a post, and no, I do not 'edit' posts all of the time, only when there is a reported post and there is reason to keep some of the content which may be relevant to the discussion visible. I will remove that part which violates the Terms of Service or is in some way inappropriate to the context while trying to keep the valid part of the post in context with the poster's response.

Members are expected to understand and obey the Terms of Service, which includes posting with appropriate language. If I am the one responding to a report, then depending on the value of the post to the discussion, I may edit it and return the useful part to the thread. If another moderator responds to the post, then the whole post will generally be removed.

Yes, we are aware of this thread and we have been doing our best to allow you the opportunity to discuss this situation without it becoming some sort of a power struggle between moderation and members. If you keep 'pushing' at issues like this, it will be difficult for us to continue to ignore the comments in order to allow fruitful discussion of what is of concern to us all.

We are all interesting in trying to find the win-win solution to these concerns, so we ask for your continued assistance and co-operation while administration and the Moderation Team review and discuss the different issues and concerns that have been raised.

Really, guys, we are all on the same team! We want Visa Journey to be a positive, informative and supportive environment for everyone involved. We have an incredibly diverse membership population which is both one of our strengths and one of our challenges. If we are all willing to take responsibility to help keep Visa Journey a safe, informative and supportive site, we will all benefit, so please, we ask for your understanding, your assistance and your patience.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

For the record - As lead moderator, I am the only moderator with the ability to 'edit' a post, and no, I do not 'edit' posts all of the time, only when there is a reported post and there is reason to keep some of the content which may be relevant to the discussion visible. I will remove that part which violates the Terms of Service or is in some way inappropriate to the context while trying to keep the valid part of the post in context with the poster's response.

Members are expected to understand and obey the Terms of Service, which includes posting with appropriate language. If I am the one responding to a report, then depending on the value of the post to the discussion, I may edit it and return the useful part to the thread. If another moderator responds to the post, then the whole post will generally be removed.

Yes, we are aware of this thread and we have been doing our best to allow you the opportunity to discuss this situation without it becoming some sort of a power struggle between moderation and members. If you keep 'pushing' at issues like this, it will be difficult for us to continue to ignore the comments in order to allow fruitful discussion of what is of concern to us all.

We are all interesting in trying to find the win-win solution to these concerns, so we ask for your continued assistance and co-operation while administration and the Moderation Team review and discuss the different issues and concerns that have been raised.

Really, guys, we are all on the same team! We want Visa Journey to be a positive, informative and supportive environment for everyone involved. We have an incredibly diverse membership population which is both one of our strengths and one of our challenges. If we are all willing to take responsibility to help keep Visa Journey a safe, informative and supportive site, we will all benefit, so please, we ask for your understanding, your assistance and your patience.

Thanks for the feedback Kathryn.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Timeline

If y'all blow the thread up before I get back I want to say that I have enjoyed myself. Please don't give mods a reason to come here. If still up I will post pic of a hot babe that is family friendly tomorrow.

Kathryn Rocks.

Thanks for the feedback Kathryn.

For the record, I didn't bring up the deleted post to bash moderation. My intent was to use it as an example of hopefully constructive feedback, even if it didn't change anything. I have always appreciated that you give explanations for what takes place on the other side of the fence. I also appreciate TBone's detailed explanations too. We might not agree on everything, but it's nice to know where you guys are coming from and I for one appreciate the explanations.

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Howdy Kathyrn. :star:

Thanks for letting us blow off steam. This thread was epic.

As for me I am about to go get drunk and party and look at hot Asian babes. (Wedding party) Try to remember to take pics.

That answers my question -- the wife was saved from the dog house.

Get the pics before you get wasted. :)

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Kip, one of your posts has been removed due to hate language. Your new ID run has been a good one. I'd suggest you don't slip up again.

Holy ####### Amnesty

Lets show the mods some love !

Timeline

Yeah she is happy to be out of that dog house and looking hot in her little black dress. I plan on taking the pics early and then get serious at the open bar soon after.

That answers my question -- the wife was saved from the dog house.

Get the pics before you get wasted. :)

Speaking of TOS, I ran across this post in the upper forums. I think this is a good moderator response, definitely on the right track. What do you think?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/497511-front-loading-at-us-embassy-lagos/?p=7029416

yeah TboneTx generally acts like he is dealing with adults and acts accordingly. Others could take note of the way he handles people.