fhorta

parole in place for veteran

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hope I'm posting in right area. I'm a veteran of armed forces and wantt to complete I 131, travel document for my wife. I'm not sure how to complete this form though because this is a travel documnet and my wife does not plan to traveling anywhere; we simply want to get i131 approved and eventually su mit for adjustment of status.

We just received notification of apprived I 130 but prefer to pursue parole in place because it doesn't require leaving the country. I appreciate any input I can get . Thanks.

You may want to post this over at http://immigrate2us.net, they are more versed in programs like PIP.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello. Just wanted to see if anyone has had experience with pip in which they are petitioning for wife. I am a veteran of us armed forces. I had submitted i130 and was approved. Shortly after approval the new pip rule came out and I sub mitted i131 accordi g to pip instructions so that my wife could apply for adjustment of status without goi g out of the country. We just received respo se to i131 to go finger print. What comes next? If anyone can share experince it would be great.

Where is your wife now? I-131 is not applied for by itself, it goes with an I-485.

Edit: I just read more about "Parole in Place" so it seems like you are on the right path. Not sure if it has come up before here though, so I don't think people will have much experience with it.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Hi. We are in the process of having our parole in place petition/waiver approved. The law is so new though, I honestly had a hard time trying to find someone that could help me. It was passed 11/15/13 and I was at USCIS office on 12/2/13 trying to get info. At that time no one could tell me anything except for to talk to an immigration attorney. So I did, and was told same thing: "Its too soon, the change is too new, we haven't been given any formal direction on how to file the petition." I was frustrated and figured that I didn't have anything to lose, so I decided to try to do it myself.

So, I scoured the internet and found a website for immigration attorneys. The site said to fill out an I 131 travel doc and write in certain things on the I 131 petition. I also included a pdf copy of the memorandum from 11/15/13 regarding Parole in place and highlighted sections that applied to me (Veteran), wrote a hardship letter and included a bunch of docs (copies) marriage license, birth certificates for me and him, (if anything is not in English, it has to be translated to English), if anyone has ever been divorced, those will be needed too, my DD214, my texas driver's license, (has veteran stamp on it), first page of his passport, 2 color passport style photos and a bunch of docs to support we are married (bills together, insurance card, bank statement, church docs, etc.).

I sent the entire package to the local office. About a week later I received the entire package back stating that they don't accept petitions there, but that I need to make an info pass appointment and bring the entire package (application and docs) that I previously sent. When we went, someone at the window reviewed the docs and told us that before Nov 15th, there was a similar parole in place but it was only for active duty people that had deployment orders and they were granted the I 94 usually same day. However, with the memorandum change, the process is longer now. My hubby was given a Biometrics/fingerprint appointment letter that was scheduled for 2 weeks later. It didn't cost a thing. He just had his Biometrics appointment a week ago.

Supposedly it takes about 3 weeks for USCIS to get the results back. We were told that when they have the results, they will call us in for an interview. I don't know if that means with a particular date or if we have to schedule an info pass again. When he is called in for the interview, it will be determined then if our case qualifies for the I 94. it is my understanding that after he has his I 94 card, we can go ahead and file the adjustment of status here. After AOS is filed (supposedly) he will get his temp ss card and work permit after 90 days.

I am all new at this and I am not an attorney. I am telling you how the process has worked for me so far and what I was told to expect. I have also read over and over that each USCIC office has discretion to handle cases differently. Hopefully someone else reading this may be able to contribute their experience as well. I will update the forum when I have more info. I will also post the webpage that I got my information from on how to file the I 94... (I just have to remember where I found it.)

Good luck. :)

Timeline

OOPS I meant I would post the websites on how to file the I 131 to get approved for the I 94.

https://cliniclegal.org/resources/articles-clinic/parole-place-administrative-relief-military-families

http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/events/legal_assistance_military_personnel/ls_lamp_cle_nov11_session3_parole_in_place.authcheckdam.pdf

On Form I-131, under “Part 2, Application Type,” there is no box to check that indicates the
applicant is applying for parole in place.

It is suggested that applicants check off box 1d (“I am applying for an Advance Parole
Document to allow me to return to the United States after temporary foreign travel”
)
under
“Part
2, Application Type,”
and write “Parole in Place” in red ink
next to the description.

Then, under Part 4, Information About Your Proposed Travel, Question 1a, Purpose of Trip, the applicant would write “Parole in Place (PIP)” again on this line.

To answer Part 4, Question 1b, List the countries you intend to visit, the applicant should write “N/A.”

(Applicants should be sure that the USCIS office adjudicating the I-131 understands that the applicant is submitting a parole in place request.)

Timeline

Hello. I submitted the parole in place for my husband (I am a veteran) to the local USCIS Office as well. He had his Biometrics appointment on 2/7/14. The whole Biometrics literally took 10 minutes to complete. Now, we just sit back and wait. I was told at the original infopass appointment in January that after the Biometrics appointment, the results would be forwarded to the local office and reviewed by a supervisor. We would be notified to come back into the local office and would be given a decision in approximately 3 weeks.

I don't know at this point how that will work, if we will be notified from USCIS via a letter with a specific appointment time and date, (like the Biometrics appointment notice) or if we have to make another infopass appointment to get the decision.

I found out after several phone calls to USCIS that info regarding PIP requests/status is independent from a pending or approved I 130 petition. Case info for both processes appears not to be LINKED. And calling USCIS for an estimated processing time didn't seem to do any good because the operator that I talked to was discussing the normal processing times for an I 131 in general, not for a PIP. I think it is still a very new process.

I was told by someone from USCIS that after NVC receives my husband's petition, if the I 94 does get approved, then USCIS will notify NVC that it was approved and the case will be transferred back to USCIS for processing. I was told NOT to pay any fees at NVC if the I 94 gets approved. I would file an I 485 and the other docs associated with that petition and a copy of the approved I 94 to adjust status here.

I am not an attorney, I am just telling how my experience has been so far. Hope this helps! smile.png

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline

@mnlescobar I too am a veteran and applied for i131 for my spouse and stepson. we did ours at the local office in Houston. after fingerprinting we received a letter to appear at the local office after six weeks. We were missing our final divorce decree from both of our previous marriages, so we went back today 2/18/14, took our info waited about 2 hrs and granted pip docs. hang in there

Timeline

@mnlescobar I too am a veteran and applied for i131 for my spouse and stepson. we did ours at the local office in Houston. after fingerprinting we received a letter to appear at the local office after six weeks. We were missing our final divorce decree from both of our previous marriages, so we went back today 2/18/14, took our info waited about 2 hrs and granted pip docs. hang in there

Awesome!!! So, are you saying that after the Biometric appointment, it took about 6 weeks to get a response from the local office and the response was telling you to schedule another infopass appointment? (Maybe only because your application was missing some docs?) I am curious because when we went to the local office we did a lot of running around that same day trying to gather all of the needed docs and turned everything in to USCIS before we were given printout for Biometrics appointment.

I read on another forum that after another applicant turned in their supporting docs and finished biometrics appointment, they received a phone call from their local office that the PIP was approved and was sent the I-94 it in the mail, without doing the followup infopass appointment. Could you post the dates/ timeline of when you submitted the package, Biometrics appointment and actual I 94 in hand? Thank you for your post :)

Timeline

Awesome!!! So, are you saying that after the Biometric appointment, it took about 6 weeks to get a response from the local office and the response was telling you to schedule another infopass appointment? (Maybe only because your application was missing some docs?) I am curious because when we went to the local office we did a lot of running around that same day trying to gather all of the needed docs and turned everything in to USCIS before we were given printout for Biometrics appointment.

I read on another forum that after another applicant turned in their supporting docs and finished biometrics appointment, they received a phone call from their local office that the PIP was approved and was sent the I-94 it in the mail, without doing the followup infopass appointment. Could you post the dates/ timeline of when you submitted the package, Biometrics appointment and actual I 94 in hand? Thank you for your post :)

Timeline

Yeah. We went on the 11 of dec to deliver paper work at local office. Recieved Letter to for an appointment on 19. Then recieved call to appear on the 13 day of feb. Still needed more docs. Was informed by agent to return on Tuesday with docs. Waited 2 hrs pip docs given to us. No need for another info pass

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.