Bristin92

Questions about Affidavit of Support/Co-sponsor

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hey guys,

I have some questions, hopefully you all can help me out.

I am the petitioner and I don't make enough money to support my fiancee according to the guidelines, however, I am completely confused about the Proverty Guidelines for the Household size.

I live with my family/parents still but I don't support the household. So would I still use the guideline for Household size #7 because I have 7 people living under the same roof as me (including my fiancee when she comes here)? Or would I use guideline 21 since its just me supporting myself with my job and then I would support my fiancee when she comes to USA?

Also, I don't have to support her on my own can I? I read from other forums here that you can have a co-sponser, how does that work exactly? Can i get my brother to support her? Or my father? However, my father is 100% disabled and gets income from the Government since he is a retired Vetern, can he still Co-Sponser with me for my fiancee?

Please help, I am just confused. lol.

Thanks.

Krisitn&&Britt.

Britt&&Kristin<3

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Household size is not based on who lives in the same house. If you have no children and claim no one else on your taxes, then your household size is 2, you and your fiance(e).

You fill out the I-134 and provide most recent tax transcript, letter from employer and/or most recent pay stubs. Co-sponsor fills out their own separate I-134 and provides the same types of documentation, plus proof of being a USC or LPR. Any USC or LPR residing in the US that meets the income requirement for their own household size plus the foreign fiance(e) can be the co-sponsor. If the father meets the requirement, then he can co-sponsor. You just need to make sure he provides solid proof of his income.

How to count household size >

Your household size includes yourself and the following individuals, no matter where they live: any spouse, any dependent children under the age of 21, any other dependents listed on your most recent Federal income tax return, all persons being sponsored in this affidavit of support, and any immigrants previously sponsored with a Form I-864 or Form I-864 EZ,

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Ok household size doesnt mean the number of people living under one roof. Household size is the number of people the sponsor has to support. You dont support your parents right? Then they are not included in YOUR household size. You only count those people you support in your household size. If its just you and your fiance, then your household size is just 2.

Yes typically you can use a co-sponsor, and they need to meet the poverty guidelines as well. You need to have 125% of the poverty level for your household size, the same applies to your co-sponsor if you use one.

K-1
NOA1: 04/08/2014; NOA2: 04/21/2014; Visa interview, approved: 07/15/2014; POE: 07/25/2014; Marriage: 09/05/2014

AOS

NOA1:  09/12/2014;  Biometrics:  10/06/2014;  EAD/AP Received:  11/26/2014;  Interview Waiver Letter:  01/02/2015;  

RFE:  07/09/2015;  Permanent Residency Granted:  07/27/2015;  Green card Received:  08/22/2015

ROC

NOA1:  05/24/2017;  Biometrics:  06/13/2017;  Approved without interview:  09/05/2018;  10 Yr Green card Received:  09/13/2018

Naturalization

08/09/2020 -- Filed N-400 online

08/09/2020 -- NOA1 date

08/11/2020 -- NOA1 received in the mail

12/30/2020 -- Received notice online that an interview was scheduled

02/11/2021 -- Interview

Timeline

Household size is not based on who lives in the same house. If you have no children and claim no one else on your taxes, then your household size is 2, you and your fiance(e).

You fill out the I-134 and provide most recent tax transcript, letter from employer and/or most recent pay stubs. Co-sponsor fills out their own separate I-134 and provides the same types of documentation, plus proof of being a USC or LPR. Any USC or LPR residing in the US that meets the income requirement for their own household size plus the foreign fiance(e) can be the co-sponsor. If the father meets the requirement, then he can co-sponsor. You just need to make sure he provides solid proof of his income.

Your household size includes yourself and the following individuals, no matter where they live: any spouse, any dependent children under the age of 21, any other dependents listed on your most recent Federal income tax return, all persons being sponsored in this affidavit of support, and any immigrants previously sponsored with a Form I-864 or Form I-864 EZ,

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS INFORMATION!! THIS IS GREAT NEWS!! :) Such a relief!!

Ok household size doesnt mean the number of people living under one roof. Household size is the number of people the sponsor has to support. You dont support your parents right? Then they are not included in YOUR household size. You only count those people you support in your household size. If its just you and your fiance, then your household size is just 2.

Yes typically you can use a co-sponsor, and they need to meet the poverty guidelines as well. You need to have 125% of the poverty level for your household size, the same applies to your co-sponsor if you use one.

Thank you!!!! :) this is awesome news!!

Britt&&Kristin<3

Timeline

So, if my father meets the requirements than he can Co-sponsor, so does the fact that his income comes from the Government and not from a job matter at all?

Britt&&Kristin<3

Timeline

So, if my father meets the requirements than he can Co-sponsor, so does the fact that his income comes from the Government and not from a job matter at all?

Income is income. His disability income is not a means-tested public benefit. He is not on welfare. If his income meets the requirement for his household size plus the foreign fiance(e), then he can be the co-sponsor. Have him provide proof of his disability pay.

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Hey guys- Britt here.

Other question. Kristin doesn't make enough and co-sponsor is going to make that alright? Cause I read different opinions on that. Can someone give me a straight answer?

Thanks!

found this after I posted this:

http://www.***removed***/affidavit-of-support/joint-sponsor.html

you guys all agree with this or is this a BS website? tongue.png

and then I find this:

Joint Sponsor

A joint sponsor is someone who is willing to accept legal responsibility for supporting your family member with you. A joint sponsor must meet all the same requirements as you, except the joint sponsor does not need to be related to the immigrant. The joint sponsor (or the joint sponsor and his or her household) must reach the 125% income requirement alone. You cannot combine your income with that of a joint sponsor to meet the income requirement

found that on USCIS.gov so I guess that says it all, right?

Edited by Bristin92

Britt&&Kristin<3

Timeline

That site was speaking about joint sponsors for an I-864. Not sure what info you think sounds incorrect there. For the I-134 with the K-1 visa, a co-sponsor can be used, BUT not all consulates allow co-sponsors. Sometimes a CO decides whether or not a co-sponsor is allowed on a case by case basis. Ask your consulate directly if they accept co-sponsors for a K-1 visa. For the I-864, after you are married and filing for adjustment of status, a joint sponsor that meets the requirements is always accepted.

The USC petitioner is always the primary sponsor, even if they have zero income. No, you cannot have someone else act as the primary sponsor instead of the USC. The USC petitioner fills out the I-134 and then you have one qualifying co-sponsor fill out their own separate I-134. There is no combining of incomes with the I-134. The co-sponsor must meet the income requirement on their own. They need enough for their own household size plus the foreign fiance(e), as I stated before.

When it comes time for AOS, then the USC petitioner/sponsor fills out the I-864 and if the USC spouse does not meet the income requirements, then a joint sponsor can be used and will fill out their own separate I-864. If the USC spouse has a qualifying household member that is willing to help sponsor the foreign spouse, then they can fill out an I-864A and combine incomes with the USC spouse/sponsor. A household member filling out an I-864A is not the same as a joint sponsor. This is all jumping ahead though. Right now you only need to worry about the I-134 for the K-1 visa interview.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

That site was speaking about joint sponsors for an I-864. Not sure what info you think sounds incorrect there. For the I-134 with the K-1 visa, a co-sponsor can be used, BUT not all consulates allow co-sponsors. Sometimes a CO decides whether or not a co-sponsor is allowed on a case by case basis. Ask your consulate directly if they accept co-sponsors for a K-1 visa. For the I-864, after you are married and filing for adjustment of status, a joint sponsor that meets the requirements is always accepted.

The USC petitioner is always the primary sponsor, even if they have zero income. No, you cannot have someone else act as the primary sponsor instead of the USC. The USC petitioner fills out the I-134 and then you have one qualifying co-sponsor fill out their own separate I-134. There is no combining of incomes with the I-134. The co-sponsor must meet the income requirement on their own. They need enough for their own household size plus the foreign fiance(e), as I stated before.

When it comes time for AOS, then the USC petitioner/sponsor fills out the I-864 and if the USC spouse does not meet the income requirements, then a joint sponsor can be used and will fill out their own separate I-864. If the USC spouse has a qualifying household member that is willing to help sponsor the foreign spouse, then they can fill out an I-864A and combine incomes with the USC spouse/sponsor. A household member filling out an I-864A is not the same as a joint sponsor. This is all jumping ahead though. Right now you only need to worry about the I-134 for the K-1 visa interview.

Thank you for this information!

Britt&&Kristin<3

• 2 years later...

Hi I Just have a question.

Hi I quit my old job on March 2015. Went to the philippines On April 2015, Got married and Went back to california on September 2015 I started my new job on october 2015. I make $10 an hour. I know that's not enough. So can I make my dad as joint sponsor? He makes more than 30k- 40k in a year

so I made around $5k last year.

My mom works too so is my Older sister.

My younger sister is my dads only dependent.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.