daniel2013

Most challenging visa quiery to date!!? Please help!!

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Portugal
Timeline

I'll try to be concise, but it's a long story.

I am a US citizen with a US passport (as well as an English passport and Canadian citizenship card). My girlfriend/fiance is Portuguese, living in Portugal. We want to be together in Washington State without a time limit and we're willing to do whatever it takes.

Her visa history is complicated. As I have a criminal history here in the States and not much in the way of money (or a history of good credit) we thought it best to keep me out of the picture. So she tried for a 6 month tourist visa in the US embassy in Lisbon, Portugal. We were naive and unprepared and of course she got denied. A couple of weeks later she was in London (where we had lived together) and went for another 6 month tourist visa at the US embassy there, this time thouroughly prepared, but unfortunately to no avail. By this time we were several hundreds of dollars worse off with very little hope.

In the mean time she flys over to Canada where I meet her and we spend a couple of months together. On a whim we decide to try crossing the border and, go figure, it works, she crosses from BC to Washington without a problem! She legally enters with the typical 3 month visa waiver (or whatever the equivalent is on the Canadian border). After her time is up she leaves as not to add overstaying to our laundry list of problems.

We need advice on how to proceed. We're considering either the fiance visa or spouse visa (we can get married when I go back to Europe in the spring if thats the best option), or any visa that can get her over here. She is not longer eligible for the 3 month visa waiver now that she has been denied. We're worried that the two visa denials will also taint any future visa requests and make our marriage look suspisious (even though we've been together for years!).

Please help! This bureaucratic system is a nightmare!

Thanks,

Dan

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I don't see how her past tourist visa denials can affect a K1 or spouse visa application. Unless she lied/misrepresented herself on the tourist visa forms. A denial because of lack of strong ties will not affect a K1 or spouse visa.

Your criminal history is another story. Google Adam Walsh Act.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to What Visa Do I Need - Family Based Immigration, from K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures- Duplicate thread has been removed.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

The previous non-immigrant visa denials are not an issue. It's your criminal history and lack of money that I would be worried about.

barata-gif-3.gif

+1 other posts. To bring an immigrant spouse or fiancé, you'll need to be able to financially sponsor them or have a joint sponsor who is willing to do so. Look up the I-864 instructions and poverty guidelines to get an idea of the values involved (although if you go down the fiancé route you'll hit the I-134 first).

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Did you cross the Canadian / US border by land or air? If by air, did she obtain a new ESTA authorisation declaring her two previous visa denials, as required?

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Timeline

She will have no probs if U petition her, unless she lied on any apps, or when she was allowed across the bordder

As to your crime if it dont fall under the Adam Walsh law...it don't matter as U R the USC`...just make sure she knows

all about your criminal past and bad credit when she interviews...U may need a co-sponsor for taxes

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The only problem I can see with you filing for a K1 or spousal is the fact you are sponsoring her and have to be 125% over the poverty line, if you are not - you will be denied and out even more money.. unless you can have someone help sponsor her to make a combined income over 125% over the poverty line...It sounds like your case is extremely risky because of the fact she has tried to get so many visas and all of which denied. Also, entering into the usa with intent to marry illegally is fraud and can be taken very seriously, with a ban of your girlfriend for a long time. My advice would be to hire a lawyer, do a K1 visa...She would not be able to live in the USA until her K1 is approved. Mine took roughly 7 months. It's the right way to do things and that way there is no issue with being deceitful. You can message me with questions if you want!

Good luck,

Kate

Also, entering into the usa with intent to marry illegally is fraud and can be taken very seriously, with a ban of your girlfriend for a long time.

It's not fraud to enter the USA as a visitor and get married to a US citizen. I think you're referring to the act of entering the country with the intent of adjusting status after the marriage instead of going home to do the CR-1.

Edited by Ketsuban

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Timeline

It's not fraud to enter the USA as a visitor and get married to a US citizen. I think you're referring to the act of entering the country with the intent of of adjusting status after the marriage instead of going home to do the CR-1.

It is fraudulent with entering with the intention of marrying. It's another thing if she arrived and he popped the question. Arriving with intentions to stay permanently on a visitor visa is fraud. You're essentially applying for a visitor visa to cutt corners on doing things the proper way in accordance to the law.

Katie and Ray, you're wrong. It's not illegal to intend to get married and then get married in the USA on a tourist visa. It only becomes illegal if you intentionally get married and then try to adjust status intentionally...

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

It is fraudulent with entering with the intention of marrying.

Wrong. That is not fraud.

It is fraudulent to enter the US with intent to marry AND THEN STAY on an incorrect visa type. It's the undeclared *immigrant intent* that is the issue, not getting married.

Entering with the intent to marry is entirely legal. See Vegas.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Timeline

It is fraudulent to enter the US with intent to marry AND THEN STAY on an incorrect visa type. It's the undeclared *immigrant intent* that is the issue, not getting married.

My apologies, my lovely lawyer told me different when we were searching for easiest ways to marry.

My apologies, my lovely lawyer told me different when we were searching for easiest ways to marry.

Katie and Ray, you're wrong. It's not illegal to intend to get married and then get married in the USA on a tourist visa. It only becomes illegal if you intentionally get married and then try to adjust status intentionally...

Is there a way you can get married unintentionally? hahaha Maybe in Vegas.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

It only becomes illegal if you intentionally get married and then try to adjust status intentionally...

What does this mean?

Why would you do either of these things unintentionally?

Do you mean, get married intending to stay and adjust status? In other words, you can intend on getting married, just not intend on getting married and adjusting status.

Edited by DJ&L

USCIS / VSC
3/08/2013: Sent I-129F to Dallas Lockbox
3/12/2013: NOA1 Issued
3/15/2013: NOA1 Received (VCS)

7/10/2013: Transferred to TCS

7/25/2013: RFE

7/31/2013: RFE Response Received
8/07/2013: NOA2

NVC

8/16/2013: Sent to NVC
8/21/2013: NVC received
8/26/2013: Case number

US Consulate Guangzhou

8/28/2013: P3
9/14/2013: P3 Sent
9/16/2013: P3 received by GUZ

9/24/2013: P4 received via email

10/22/2013: Interview - Approved

10/24/2013: Visa Issued

10/30/2013: Passport available for pickup.

USCIS California

6/17/2016 I-751 Sent

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.