jcr7519

Is 6 months continuous PHYSICAL residency required for DCF eligibility?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

I have a Chinese Residence Permit that's been valid since May 9th 2013. Does this mean that since November 9th 2013 I've been "authorized to be continuously residing within the jurisdiction of the consular office for at least the previous 6 months"? I think so but am not positive. Or do I have to be PHYSICALLY residing continuously in China to be eligible for DCF?

Reason I'm asking this is because I have a business trip to the US planned in Feb. 2014 --- do we have to apply for my wife's DCF visa before my trip to be eligible?

Preferably we'd apply for DFC in March/April after my trip to the US in Feb for a couple of reasons. 1) so the Visa timing would probably align with the end of my assignment work assignment in China in Oct '14 and we wouldn't need to take an additional trip back the the US...we'd just travel to the US together October '14 and 2) I could obtain a certified copy of our marriage certificate while in the US in Feb as we don't currently have one with us in China.

I just don't want to jeopardize DCF visa eligibility. This is really important to us - we've messed up with her AOS and are trying hard to develop a prudent strategy for my wife and I to reside together in China until end of my work assignment in Oct '14 and then return together to the US to reside, her entering as a LPR and obtaining her GC.

I'm referencing this part of the Consular Processing USCIS page:

"Although immigrant petitions are filed with USCIS, In some cases, an I-130 petition may be filed for an immediate relative (spouse, child, or parent of a U.S. citizen) with a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad. Situations where this may be applicable include:

• If the U.S. citizen has been authorized to be continuously residing within the jurisdiction of the consular office for at least the previous 6 months"

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/consular-processing

If your trip is just for a quick business trip, and you're not abandoning residency, it doesn't mean you have to start counting from scratch when you get back. Same as if you just went on vacation - it doesn't mean you stopped living where you came from. :)

I'm not familiar with residency paperwork for China, but I assume you have something that proves your residency? They'll be wanting to see something that shows your legal residence and when you took that up.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

You can either send a family member to get you a copy of marriage certificate or see if you can get copies from here (based on your local office location in your profile): http://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/marriage.htm

Pretty much all states have a department dealing with vital records and you can obtain documents from them.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

You can either send a family member to get you a copy of marriage certificate or see if you can get copies from here (based on your local office location in your profile): http://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/marriage.htm

Pretty much all states have a department dealing with vital records and you can obtain documents from them.

Hi Milimelo,

I found out I can request to have certified copies of our marriage certificate mailed from the NYC Clerks Office.

http://www.cityclerk.nyc.gov/html/marriage/records.shtml#bymail

I'll have them sent to a family member in the USA who can forward them to me in China.

Thanks!

Justin

Timeline

If your trip is just for a quick business trip, and you're not abandoning residency, it doesn't mean you have to start counting from scratch when you get back. Same as if you just went on vacation - it doesn't mean you stopped living where you came from. smile.png

I'm not familiar with residency paperwork for China, but I assume you have something that proves your residency? They'll be wanting to see something that shows your legal residence and when you took that up.

Thanks for your feedback. I do have a Residence Permit for China that proves 1 year continuous residency in China. I took it up over 6 months ago so my wife should be eligible to apply for a DCF visa.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

If you not have to get a new residency permit after returning from your out-of-china business trip, then the residency is seen as continuous by USCIS BeiJing and Guangzhou.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.