jsumner86

Proving domicile in the US

16 posts in this topic

Hi all

My wife (US Citizen) filed our i-130 back in May 2013. I'm hoping there will be some news regarding this soon, so I've started research what happens after this is approved. One of my concerns is proving domicile.

Current scenario:

- We married in December 2011

- My wife was back and forth between the US and the UK from December 2011 to November 2012. Each time she entered the UK, it was as a "tourist".

- My wife obtained a temporary UK visa to live and work in November 2012- this expires in 2015, although in theory it could be made permanent at that point if she was still living here in 2015. She has been living and working here since, although she recently quit her job here in preparation to move back to the USA.

- The sole purpose of my wife getting a temporary UK visa to live and work was to be with me while I finished up with my job here in the UK and during the application process. It was always our intention to move back to the US in the near future.

- We don't own any property in the UK or in the US, we currently live in a rented premises and my wife lived with her parents prior to moving to the UK

- My wife has a valid Florida driving license, which she renewed while in the UK and voted in the last US general election

- My wife does not have a job lined up when we move back to the US, and we plan on living with her family for a month or two until we are both employed over there. At that point, we plan on renting until we know where in the US we want to live.

My concern is that we may have issues surrounding proving domicile. I'm really hoping the fact that my wife has only been living and working in the UK under a temporary UK visa for one year now will be enough for them, as there a little else we can provide as evidence. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Edited by jsumner86

I-130 STAGE
-------------------------------
16th May 2013- I-130 PD Date
30th Dec 2013- Transferred to TSC
13th Mar 2014- I-130 Approved
20th Mar 2014- Cased shipped to NVC.

NVC STAGE
--------------------------------
28th Mar 14 Case received at NVC
28th Apr 14 Case # & IIN assigned

13th May 14 AOS package scanned into the system
14th May 14 DS260 available/completed.
20th May 14 IV package scanned into the system

12th June 14 AOS checklist- NVC error-

13th June 14 Supervisor review, said she would remove it when spoke to her. (Up to 30 business days).

28th July 14 CASE COMPLETE!!!!

19th August 2014- Medical

5th September 2014- Interview @ London

05th Sep 2014-Interview

05th Sep 2014- APPROVED! Visa Status Issued same day!

10th Sep 2014- Visa in hand

18th September 2014- POE ORLANDO FL! DISNEY!! :dancing:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

advanced search tool, upper right hand corner.

Search term -> 'domicile'

That's it. Read all. Then refactor the plan after reading.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

advanced search tool, upper right hand corner.

Search term -> 'domicile'

That's it. Read all. Then refactor the plan after reading.

*sigh*. I guess I need to add a disclaimer regarding this each time I post, as it's not the first time I've had a similar response.

I've already done this, it's what I've just spent the last two hours doing. I've read as much documentation as I can right now. It's actually doing this that prompted me to post. I don't make a forum post without researching a considerable amount before hand, and never have done.

What I'm looking for are other people in similar circumstances to ours, and alternative interpretations of what the documentation says.

Edited by jsumner86

I-130 STAGE

NVC STAGE

13th June 14 Supervisor review, said she would remove it when spoke to her. (Up to 30 business days).

05th Sep 2014-Interview

Did you file as DCF or inside the US?

Finished for now!!

NOA1 4-1-13

NOA2 11-14-13

NVC case # 12-9-13

Case complete 1-21-14

Interview 3-3-14

Visa Received 3-6-14

US Entry 03-09-14

Well anyways.. If your worried about proving domicile in the country then you probably can't..

My suggestion is to determine truely where you want to live.. I can sense both of you thought of staying in UK but also going to US..

1. Make a decision where to live

2. If you choose the US then the citizen needs to prepare legally. (Lease agreement, job offer, bank accounts, financial responsibilities, ect) This is usually easier if you are in the US.

3. Not only try to gather documents to show "reestablishing domicile" but also proving "proof of domicile" to guaranty no problems.

Some people have no problems with very little and some have problems unless they actually live here.. Remember they want proof (written contracts) not promises like Obama gives or stories how you was shot with Cupid's arrow and can't spend few months away from each other to prepare..

Finished for now!!

NOA1 4-1-13

NOA2 11-14-13

NVC case # 12-9-13

Case complete 1-21-14

Interview 3-3-14

Visa Received 3-6-14

US Entry 03-09-14

In case your search did not turn this up, London provides the following information in regards to domicile: http://london.usembassy.gov/faq_i864_domicile.html

Particularly interesting to you is likely:

As the sponsor, will I have to travel to the United States ahead of my relative to establish residence?

No, it will not be necessary for you to travel to the United States ahead of your spouse/children. However, you will be required to furnish evidence confirming the steps taken to re-establish your residence in the United States, e.g., a letter of employment, rental agreement, purchase of property, a letter from an estate agent in the United Kingdom showing the valuation of your property. Note: Your relative may not enter the United States to take up residence prior to your return to the United States. He or she may travel with you, or follow to join you at a later date

If you lack the ability to show this stuff, then your wife is probably going to need to move back to the USA ahead of you. That's the only real option.

It sounds like your wife is making the steps necessary that might match the requirements London expects (and to be honest, I've not heard of many folks having too much difficulty showing their intent to re-establish domicile with this embassy).

She should consider having the family member who is intending to have you stay with them write an affidavit attesting to that fact, and also gather up paperwork such as her P45 (for the job she's quit in anticipation of moving back) and any paperwork like jobs she's been applying for in the USA, information about movers she's contacted getting quotes for shipping your stuff back, her voters record and her driving licence (good you have that, make sure you have the paperwork). If you have kids, any documentation about finding them a new school is also really good.

Edited by lost_at_sea

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Did you file as DCF or inside the US?

We filed inside the US, despite currently residing outside of the US. We did this because the London USCIS field office website states that we can do either. In hindsight, I'd have filed it with London as they only have a 30 day backlog. It was impossible to predict the 7 month+ backlog at the NBC at the time.

Well anyways.. If your worried about proving domicile in the country then you probably can't..

My suggestion is to determine truely where you want to live.. I can sense both of you thought of staying in UK but also going to US..

1. Make a decision where to live

2. If you choose the US then the citizen needs to prepare legally. (Lease agreement, job offer, bank accounts, financial responsibilities, ect) This is usually easier if you are in the US.

3. Not only try to gather documents to show "reestablishing domicile" but also proving "proof of domicile" to guaranty no problems.

Some people have no problems with very little and some have problems unless they actually live here.. Remember they want proof (written contracts) not promises like Obama gives or stories how you was shot with Cupid's arrow and can't spend few months away from each other to prepare..

Neither of us had any desire to permanently stay in the UK at any point. We're currently in the UK solely because of unusual circumstances with my job here. Since May, we've been in a position to move to the US, hence filing the i-130 in May 2013.

I-130 STAGE

NVC STAGE

05th Sep 2014-Interview

Further USCIS information can be found here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3183.html#3

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Non-DCF, temporary work visa, and trying to prove domicile... Interesting.. I'm going to need read up on this and I'm curious now..

Edited by TimandAna

Finished for now!!

NOA1 4-1-13

NOA2 11-14-13

NVC case # 12-9-13

Case complete 1-21-14

Interview 3-3-14

Visa Received 3-6-14

US Entry 03-09-14

Non-DCF and trying to prove domicile... Interesting.. I'm going to need read up on this and I'm curious now..

Any sponsor for an immigrant who lives outside the USA has to show domicile. It's part of the I-864 requirements. Most just don't come across the requirement, as the sponsor is in the USA. See the instructions (Part 4, Item number 5): http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

My husband was also in the UK on a temporary work visa, so we had to show that it was exactly that - a temporary relocation.

Edited by lost_at_sea

26th August 2016 - NOA1

7th June 2017 - Oath

Any sponsor for an immigrant who lives outside the USA has to show domicile. It's part of the I-864 requirements. Most just don't come across the requirement, as the sponsor is in the USA. See the instructions (Part 4, Item number 5): http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

My husband was also in the UK on a temporary work visa, so we had to show that it was exactly that - a temporary relocation.

She shows evidence of only being "temporary"

2. You are living abroad temporarily.

If you are not currently living in the United States, you must show that your trip abroad is temporary and that you have maintained your domicile in the United States. You can show this by providing proof of your voting record in the United States, proof of paying U.S. State or local taxes, proof of having property in the United States, proof of maintaining bank or investment accounts in the United States, or proof of having a permanent mailing address in the United States. Other proof could be evidence that you are a student studying abroad or that a foreign government has authorized a temporary stay.

So really just need to move back and wait after the NOA2.. Then don't have to prove anything because she will be "currently" living in the US at the NVC stage.. Which is only 3-4 month wait till together again..

Finished for now!!

NOA1 4-1-13

NOA2 11-14-13

NVC case # 12-9-13

Case complete 1-21-14

Interview 3-3-14

Visa Received 3-6-14

US Entry 03-09-14

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

*sigh*. I guess I need to add a disclaimer regarding this each time I post, as it's not the first time I've had a similar response.

I've already done this, it's what I've just spent the last two hours doing. I've read as much documentation as I can right now. It's actually doing this that prompted me to post. I don't make a forum post without researching a considerable amount before hand, and never have done.

Excellent !

So, you know the difference in the evidence pile, for

1. maintaining USA Residency and

2. re-establishing USA Residency

and have a great idea already for which path to take and know all of the evidence required for the path to take.

I'll posit this - if you are asking questions about the validity of the evidence to submit, then usually you not have either enough or the right type, based on the path chosen.

Luckily, thankfully, for path #2, evidence can be generated before the IV Unit Interview without leaving that foreign country.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

AOS, ROC, N-400, & PASSPORT, FOR HUSBAND TO USC

[02/23, 2012]  - DAY 001  (day 0001) (AOS) Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[06/01, 2012]  - 
DAY 099  (day 0099) 2-year Conditional GC in hand
[05/05, 2014]  - DAY 001  (day 0802) (ROC) Mailed package to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

[05/14, 2014]  - DAY 009  (day 0811) Received NOA1 (GC Extended for 1 year)

[01/14, 2016]  - DAY 620  (day 1421) 10-year GC in hand

[02/22, 2017]  - DAY 001  (day 1826) (N-400) Mailed package to Lewisville, TX, via USPS overnight

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 323  (day 2149) (N-400) Naturalization Oath Ceremony (5 years, 10 months, 19 days)

[01/10, 2018]  - DAY 001  (day 2149) (US Passport) Applied for US Passport, regular processing

01/25, 2018]  - DAY 015  (day 2164) (US Passport) Passport in hand (5 years, 11 months, 3 days from start of Journey.)

AOS, N-400, & PASSPORT FOR DAUGHTER [OF HUSBAND TO USC]

[06/14, 2013] - DAY 001 Mailed package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS overnight
[11/21, 2013] - Day 153 SSN and 10-year GC in hand

09/01, 2021]  - (day 3001) (US Passport) Passport in hand (8 years, 2 months, 18 days from start of Journey.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain. Psalm 127:1

In case your search did not turn this up, London provides the following information in regards to domicile: http://london.usembassy.gov/faq_i864_domicile.html

Particularly interesting to you is likely:

If you lack the ability to show this stuff, then your wife is probably going to need to move back to the USA ahead of you. That's the only real option.

It sounds like your wife is making the steps necessary that might match the requirements London expects (and to be honest, I've not heard of many folks having too much difficulty showing their intent to re-establish domicile with this embassy).

She should consider having the family member who is intending to have you stay with them write an affidavit attesting to that fact, and also gather up paperwork such as her P45 (for the job she's quit in anticipation of moving back) and any paperwork like jobs she's been applying for in the USA, information about movers she's contacted getting quotes for shipping your stuff back, her voters record and her driving licence (good you have that, make sure you have the paperwork). If you have kids, any documentation about finding them a new school is also really good.

Thanks lost at sea, this information is very helpful and I feel a little less concerned about the situation now.

I-130 STAGE

NVC STAGE

05th Sep 2014-Interview

She shows evidence of only being "temporary"

2. You are living abroad temporarily.

If you are not currently living in the United States, you must show that your trip abroad is temporary and that you have maintained your domicile in the United States. You can show this by providing proof of your voting record in the United States, proof of paying U.S. State or local taxes, proof of having property in the United States, proof of maintaining bank or investment accounts in the United States, or proof of having a permanent mailing address in the United States. Other proof could be evidence that you are a student studying abroad or that a foreign government has authorized a temporary stay.

So really just need to move back and wait after the NOA2.. Then don't have to prove anything because she will be "currently" living in the US at the NVC stage.. Which is only 3-4 month wait till together again..

Thanks TimandAna.

Obviously my wife moving back in advance of NVC is an option, but it really would be a last resort. We've already played our part in spending months apart at a time several times over - not something we'd want to go through again unless we had no alternative.

I-130 STAGE

NVC STAGE

05th Sep 2014-Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.