anniemc

Beneficiary Criminal Record -- Success Stories and Denials?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hello all and thanks in advance for the help!

I'm the petitioner and my fiance, the beneficiary, has one minor event in his criminal history that is sort of a grey area from the "moral turpitude" perspective. We're planning to contact a lawyer, but in the meantime I'd love to hear from the VJ community some examples of petitions that were denied as a result of criminal history on the part of the beneficiary and stories of those that were approved in spite of criminal history.

As background, the beneficiary received stolen goods many years ago. In his country, they do not distinguish between knowing whether the goods were stolen or not knowing. In regs that cover this for USCIS, this difference is important. This is why we are engaging a lawyer.

I've seen threads on here where people ask about traffic violations, marijuana charges, and DUIs. Any chance we can dig a little deeper?

5/14 Filed

5/20 Receipt confirmed

5/28 Alien Registration Number changed

9/5 Transfer to Texas

9/19 NOA2 Text and E-mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My ex had 3 charges....some were bad charges really in the eyes of USCIS. Fake ID/GC, tampering with gov't docs. as well as theft of moveable property below $500. Ice the cake with the fact he overstayed his visa by about 13yr LOL. I did his AOS myself, all I did was have him indicate his arrest record, request a letter of disposition from the district court it happened in and went for the interview. He was asked if he had the arrest/charge detail record from when he was released, and we said not at the moment but we can get it. We were sent off with an addressed envelope to mail the docs. back in, and he got his GC about 30 days later. They did ask at the interview what the charges were and I assumed they already knew but were looking for truthfulness to confirm that knowledge. This was in 2008 mind you, and the fake ID/GC charge was dropped but showed on the disposition as well as the docs; he was formally charged with the theft one only. Last question the officer asked was if he planned to have anymore similar legal problems in his future. Obviously no!

We did have a child then and the interview in general was less than 10min. Criminal stuff was not the focus and was only asked at the tail end of things. They were more interested in baby pics and showing the baby existed since I didn't bring my son with us.

So don't sweat it, but be very honest and ready to explain in detail. I think unless it is a felony you get a shot to explain at the interview. His was a misdemeanor charge if it helps. If you want to PM me I can answer specific stuff if I left anything out. Hope it helps.

Edited by beccabecca

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I'd love to hear from the VJ community some examples of petitions that were denied as a result of criminal history on the part of the beneficiary and stories of those that were approved in spite of criminal history.

The beneficiary's criminal history is usually not relevant at the USCIS stage, it's the Embassy/Consulate phase where it becomes an issue. Your petition is unlikely to be denied on the basis of the beneficiary's criminal history.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

So don't sweat it, but be very honest and ready to explain in detail. I think unless it is a felony you get a shot to explain at the interview. His was a misdemeanor charge if it helps. If you want to PM me I can answer specific stuff if I left anything out. Hope it helps.

Thank you for sharing - you give me hope :) I'll let you know closer to the date if I have any specific questions.

The beneficiary's criminal history is usually not relevant at the USCIS stage, it's the Embassy/Consulate phase where it becomes an issue. Your petition is unlikely to be denied on the basis of the beneficiary's criminal history.

I see I did not specify in my original post, but this is exactly the stage that we are concerned about. We have our NOA2 so we are preparing for the next step. If you have any helpful stories, I'd love to hear them.

5/14 Filed

5/20 Receipt confirmed

5/28 Alien Registration Number changed

9/5 Transfer to Texas

9/19 NOA2 Text and E-mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Thank you for sharing - you give me hope smile.png I'll let you know closer to the date if I have any specific questions.

I see I did not specify in my original post, but this is exactly the stage that we are concerned about. We have our NOA2 so we are preparing for the next step. If you have any helpful stories, I'd love to hear them.

Good luck. Like I said just be honest and gather the records now (some places make it harder to get them, I got lucky). It also helps if the offense was a while back versus something say 6 months ago as the person has had a big time block pass with no more hang-ups. My ex's arrests were almost 2yr before filing and I personally think that helped a bit.

**Adjusting from initial Q1/changed to B1 then overstay, termination of removal proceedings**

(STAND ALONE i-130/TERMINATION OF REMOVAL)

First met: Totally random by asking for directions, June 2014 while on vacation at Disney World (L)

Engaged: Aug. 21, 2014

Married: Dec. 1, 2014

ICE phone contact: sometime in early Dec. 2014- Co-operated, retained attorney who advised the same.

Filed stand alone i-130: January 2015 (VSC)

ICE home visit, schedule time to go to DHS office and NTA issued, date TBD, was not detained and released on own recognizance within an hour: January, 2015.

NOA1: Feb. 20, 2015.

Transfer to CSC to balance workloads: August 2015

1)First Master Calendar Hearing: Sept. 9, 2015-Continued based on pending i-130, new court date in 6mo.

Congressional Inquiry: Dec 8. 2015

***i-130 APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW: Dec. 21, 2015** :dancing:

2)Second Master Hearing: March 9, 2016- Removal proceedings terminated w/o prejudice based on approved i-130!! Remanded to USCIS to begin AOS process :dance:

(AOS AFTER TERMINATION)

Filed AOS packet: March 16, 2016.

NOA1: March 21, 2016.

Biometrics: April 20, 2016.

RFE Initial evidence: April 21, 2016 for birth cert/translation and Q1/B1 i94s

RFE response received: May 10, 2016.

EAD approval: May 25, 2016- Card arrived at attorney's office! Could not pick up until May 30 because we were at Disney World again :):D

Notice of missing medical exam: July 2016 (Done on purpose to avoid expiration, we will bring it to the interview as stated in notice)

Inquiry about case status: Sept 2016- Case pending interview at local office.

Inquiry about case status again: Oct. 2016- Due to factors not related to your case, anticipate a delay in processing

HAPPY 2YR ANNIVERSARY TO US!!

Infopass #1 at local office: Dec. 19, 2016- Case pending background/security checks, advised when to renew EAD #2

Waiting on interview at local office...... :clock:

Sent EAD renewal: Feb 10, 2016

EAD#2 NOA1: March 3, 2016

INTERVIEW SCHEDULED!!: interview on March 27, 2017

Text notification, new card being produced: March 29, 2017!!!

*~*~*~*818 DAYS TOTAL*~*~*~

"A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor."

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Good Afternoon ,

I met my boyfriend 7 years ago as we dated in college.
We got engaged last month after dating for a year, he has been coming to visit me all this time with record in his passport of course.
I got deported in 2009 for trying to get into a club with a fake id, the record is now shown as a misdemeanor class 1 but of course its still showing.
I tried getting a tourist visa on February of this year and it got denied.
I want to know if my criminal history will be an issue for me to get the K1 approved?

I have no criminal history in Mexico (where I reside now)
I am a college graduate and so is he, we both make more than 100k a year income and we definitely have proof of our relationship, both family members aware and many many pictures, but we want to get married in the US so that he doesn't loose his job and of course to be around our families since my mom and sister live there and so does his entire family and friends.
Thank you so much for your attention!

My ex had 3 charges....some were bad charges really in the eyes of USCIS. Fake ID/GC, tampering with gov't docs. as well as theft of moveable property below $500. Ice the cake with the fact he overstayed his visa by about 13yr LOL. I did his AOS myself, all I did was have him indicate his arrest record, request a letter of disposition from the district court it happened in and went for the interview. He was asked if he had the arrest/charge detail record from when he was released, and we said not at the moment but we can get it. We were sent off with an addressed envelope to mail the docs. back in, and he got his GC about 30 days later. They did ask at the interview what the charges were and I assumed they already knew but were looking for truthfulness to confirm that knowledge. This was in 2008 mind you, and the fake ID/GC charge was dropped but showed on the disposition as well as the docs; he was formally charged with the theft one only. Last question the officer asked was if he planned to have anymore similar legal problems in his future. Obviously no!

We did have a child then and the interview in general was less than 10min. Criminal stuff was not the focus and was only asked at the tail end of things. They were more interested in baby pics and showing the baby existed since I didn't bring my son with us.

• 7 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Karlo, welcome to the forum. This is an old thread, and the original poster hasn't logged on to the site in many months. Suggestions:

1) Look through the K-1 Process forum for relevant recent threads.

2) Start your own thread with your own details. People will be along to help you.

[Moderator hat on]

Antagonistic post has been removed, and administrative action has been applied. Old thread is now closed to further comment.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.