Jematt

i-130 Filed

29 posts in this topic

I just filed the i-130 with the Phoenix location since I'm in California, petitioning for my husband's visa--he's in Amsterdam. We were married just three weeks ago, so lots of new things to deal with. I'm just hoping some of you can give me an inkling of what the process will look like from this point forward. I realized, after I sent everything in, that I had forgotten to include the two recent passport photos, for example. I'm assuming they will request these from me when they see that they are missing. I included everything else. So, I don't plan to send them until they give me a case number and let me know what's missing--best plan, right? I hardly imagine they'd reject the application because of the missing photos.

Anyway, if anyone has experience and can tell me what to expect, I'd appreciate it. I feel a little like a fish out of water. I did see that the processing times are slow, up to a year. Has anyone got any idea why, and if they have sped up at all?

Thanks for any and all input! goofy.gif

APPROVED 2/13/2014! dancin5hr.gif Day before heart.gif day. rose.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

The next step for you is wait! Wait and read the guidelines here on vj. They will tell you everything you need to know on future steps. You will have plenty of time to prepare cause it is a long wait, usually anyway. Some lucky people fly through the process by fluke but most of us wait for 4-7 months just to get the I-130 approved.

You are doing right by waiting to send the passport pictures, they will ask for them.

Noa 1 August 15th 2011
Noa 2 March 2nd

NVC case numbers March 22nd
My sons AOS and IV bill paid March 23rd (status in progress)
My sons AOS and IV bill shows as paid March 26
My IV bill paid March 26
Both packages sent on March 26
My IV bill shows as paid on March 27th
CC on both cases March 30

Current record holder of fastest through the NVC :D

Medical exam in Stockholm April 13th
Interview on May 16th !!!

POE Anchorage July 12th!! 2012

July 2015 n-400 in the mail

September 2015, interview

October 23rd 2015, Oath ceremony!!!!!​​

Anticipate a 6-12 months wait for the NOA2 (approval or denial notice.) Yes, if you didn't send in the passport photos (one for you and one for your husband) they will send you an RFE (request for evidence) for these most likely. Don't send anything without an RFE letter. The chances of it making it to the petition is slim otherwise.

Feel free to read the EZSpouseGuide and the Bring Your Spouse to the USA guides in the wiki. There has been some changes recently that likely haven't made it in there though. For instance, the National Visa Center (where the approved petition goes) recently implemented that every country uses Online Forms. It saves a bit of work for sure! But in general it will give you an idea of what to expect. You certainly have some time to prepare.

Welcome to the forum!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Thanks Alaska2012 and NLR. I have read a bit and seen that there is an NOA1 and an NOA2. I don't know when to expect what. From reading the links you gave me, I should expect to receive the NOA1 in 2-3 weeks, it looks like.

Thanks for the feedback about the photos. I had a feeling they would ask for the item with some sort of form. Looking at the list, I have submitted every other item they request. I feel kind of silly for forgetting one little thing, when I even had them done. But, c'est la vie!

Thanks for those guides as well. I see that there is a substantial amount of paperwork that they will request such as certified birth certificates, police records and tax documents. Good to know so we can get started on that now. Do you know how recent they need to be? I know my hubby has to order his docs from the UK and they may be slow. I just don't want to start too soon either.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Come and join all of the other September filers :)http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/452116-september-2013-i-130-filers/

4533828f9f.png

When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, no one can ever tear them apart.

USCIS: NVC:

6/21/2013 -Married in Stockholm, Sweden 4/16/2014- Case received at NVC

9/6/2013 -Priority Date 5/13 /2014- Case number and IIN assigned

2/25/2014 -Transferred to NSC 5/20/2014- DS-261 completed

3/31/2014 -Approved 5/21/2014- AOS fee invoiced and paid

5/22/2014- AOS package overnighted to NVC

5/28/2014- AOS scanned into the system

6/20/2014- IV invoice email (but fee still locked on CEAC )

6/23/2014- IV fee finally unlocked and paid.

IV package overnighted to NVC

6/30/2014- IV scanned in. DS260 completed.

7/1/2014- AOS accepted

7/2/2014- False checklist (AOS reviewed)

8/1/2014 False checklist (attorney's G28 reviewed)

8/2/2014 False checklist (NVC not sure why it was generated)

I am the beneficiary. 8/12/2014 CASE COMPLETE!

8/26/2014 Medical

9/2/2014 Interview... APPROVED!!!

9/5/2014 Visa in hand

Removal Of Conditions:

10/29- Package sent to VSC

11/1 - NOA1

11/17- Received biometrics appointment letter

11/30- Biometrics appointment

Got receipt of notice text and email at 6:51am! dancin5hr.gif It has been sent to the California Service Center. For some reason, I can't get a processing time on the website for the CA Service Center, though, only for Vermont. Is this notice considered NOA1? :)

Thanks Blueberry Pancake! Will do! star_smile.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Jenmatt:

Yes that is NOA1. This just means they have got your package. In a week or so you should expect your check to be cashed by CIS. That simply means they have your application. In a few months (probably 4 to 7 mo) they will process it and at that point they will find out some photos are missing and will ask you for them.

So right now there is not much more to do except waiting.

B. Ghosh

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : National Benefits Center; Consulate : Mumbai, India; Marriage (if applicable): 2013-07-05
USCIS
I-130 Sent : 2013-07-20; I-130 NOA1 : 2013-07-26; I-130 Transferred to CSC: 2014-01-13; I-130 Approved: 2014-01-22
NVC
NVC Received: 2014-02-03; AOS Bill Shows PAID: 2014-03-19
NVC Case # and IIN Assigned: 2014-03-11; AOS Package Delivered: 2014-03-21;
Submitted/Completed DS-261 online: 2014-03-12; AOS Package Touched: 2014-03-25;
Receive & Pay AOS Bill : 2014-03-13; AOS Package Approved: 2014-04-08
AOS Package Mailed (USPS Priority): 2014-03-18;
IV Bill:
Receive & Pay IV Bill: 2014-03-24; False Checklist for Civil Documents: 2014-04-07
IV Bill Shows PAID: 2014-03-26; Case Completed at NVC: 2014-04-16;
IV Package Mailed (USPS Priority): 2014-03-26; Case Complete Email Received: 2014-04-23
IV Package Received by NVC: 2014-03-31; Interview scheduled: 2014-05-01;
IV Package Touched: 2014-04-03 (still in review); IL Email Received: 2014-05-01
DS-260 Available/Completed/Submitted: 2014-03-27
Consulate: Mumbai
Fingerprinting & Photo: 2014-05-09 Medicals: 2014-05-19
Interview: 2014-06-04 Visa Approved CEAC Website Status "Issued": 2014-06-05
USCIS ELIS Fee Paid: 2014-06-08 Passport w/Visa Received: 2014-06-09
POE (LAX): 2014-07-20 SS# Received: 2014-07-28
Actual GC received 2014-08-30
CA ID Received: 2014-09-02.
First job in USA (yeeeh!!!) starting: 2014-09-22
Taking driving lessons....!!!!

ROC
Application Sent: 2016-04-26
NOA1:2016-04-28
Biometrics: 2016-06-02 (early walk-in on May 31st)

ROC Approval Email and Online Status Change - 2016-11-07
Google Doc for April 2016 filers: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12Mb-ALcbwQbYafLj4vFaEMjSGD-wfjtrycs3ul8QlUo/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0

Filed: Other Timeline

Got receipt of notice text and email at 6:51am! dancin5hr.gif It has been sent to the California Service Center. For some reason, I can't get a processing time on the website for the CA Service Center, though, only for Vermont. Is this notice considered NOA1? smile.png

Yes,

NOA-1 is for Notice of Action Form I-797C (Receipt Notice)

NOA-2 is for Notice of Action From I-797C (Approval Notice).

With out photo they cant do any proceedings to the next level. They will request you to send the missing details for updation. better you keep checking the status so you can be done the formalities done as soon its responded from uscis.

Got receipt of notice text and email at 6:51am! dancin5hr.gif It has been sent to the California Service Center. For some reason, I can't get a processing time on the website for the CA Service Center, though, only for Vermont. Is this notice considered NOA1? smile.png

It's been sent to California?! Really? Your receipt number starts with WAC??

wow!

Yes that notice is NOA1.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Decision notice is more accurate because an NOA2 can also be a denial notice.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

It's been sent to California?! Really? Your receipt number starts with WAC??

wow!

Yes that notice is NOA1.

Yep, sent back to where it came from in California! LOL! Anyway, do you think the California location is good? I didn't know if your "wow" was a good "wow" or a bad one! :)

Yep, do all California notices start with WAC?

Decision notice is more accurate because an NOA2 can also be a denial notice.

EEEK! Hopefully that won't be the case! I can't think of why they'd deny us....nothing should stand out as a problem. Only thing I have to figure out is how to show "co-mingling" of our finances because we currently don't need to do that since we live in separate countries.

Yes,

NOA-1 is for Notice of Action Form I-797C (Receipt Notice)

With out photo they cant do any proceedings to the next level. They will request you to send the missing details for updation. better you keep checking the status so you can be done the formalities done as soon its responded from uscis.

I figured that the photo thing is going to delay us a few weeks. I really wish that hadn't happened. Oh well...can't cry over spilled milk. They're all sitting here waiting to go. All the status says is that it's in Initial Review.

Jenmatt:

Yes that is NOA1. This just means they have got your package. In a week or so you should expect your check to be cashed by CIS. That simply means they have your application. In a few months (probably 4 to 7 mo) they will process it and at that point they will find out some photos are missing and will ask you for them.

So right now there is not much more to do except waiting.

B. Ghosh

Thanks B. Ghosh....just sitting here waiting away. I guess I'm in no rush to get the written NOA1 now. Just want to get the NOA2 and move this thing along. =)

Yep, sent back to where it came from in California! LOL! Anyway, do you think the California location is good? I didn't know if your "wow" was a good "wow" or a bad one! smile.png

Yep, do all California notices start with WAC?

Yes all California receipt start with WAC#. Vermont is EAC#. National Benefits Center in either Missouri or Kansas is MSC#.

I just haven't seen an I-130 for a spouse sent to California since Aug 2012. It was a wow, that's interesting!

Yes all California receipt start with WAC#. Vermont is EAC#. National Benefits Center in either Missouri or Kansas is MSC#.

I just haven't seen an I-130 for a spouse sent to California since Aug 2012. It was a wow, that's interesting!

Ahh! I didn't know that about the different centers having different starting letters. Interesting! I hope the fact that it went to California is good. I actually got the NOA1 in the mail today. It seems like that's faster than they said it would be. Am I just being hopeful? :)

Ahh! I didn't know that about the different centers having different starting letters. Interesting! I hope the fact that it went to California is good. I actually got the NOA1 in the mail today. It seems like that's faster than they said it would be. Am I just being hopeful? smile.png

You normally get your NOA1 pretty quick (within two weeks). It's the NOA2 that is driving us all crazy. We sent ours in May, it went to the NBC (which stats with MSC). From the looks of it that center has stopped processing applications all together at this point and that is why some are saying WOW that you got California cause they had stop sending them there and California has been pretty fast with the I-129F forms so maybe they will be fast with the I-130s. But if you want to not get your hopes to high I would stick to the 6 - 8 month wait time. If it comes sooner then SURPRISE!

* 21 APR 2016 - 90 Days before husbands conditional green card expires

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.