captdavet

Online $165 immigration fee payment problems

20 posts in this topic

My wife, now in Canada (I am in the US) completed her interview & received her package (green card, passport, etc.) to be submitted at the airport prior to entering the US and officially becoming a US resident. We just found out about the new $165 fee to be paid before she enters, and so far this is more trouble than the entire application process for us, which we did successfully all by ourselves.

I went to the USCIS ELLIS website to set up an online account to pay the fee, and it has turned out to be a nightmare. I submitted all the security questions and came to a point where I had to submit a profile. I was given only TWO choices: 1.) Attorney or 2.) Legally registered or licensed (cannot recall exact wording) agency with license number and date licensed. I am neither! I am the sponsor & hit the proverbial brick wall. I could go no further this way.

I found another link to log into my account & when I did that the page indicated I had "no active cases" after trying my name, my wife's,case number, etc. I tried calling phone number but gentleman I reached could not help. I tried another number and faced a 100+ minute wait!

How can something seemingly so simple after all we have been through cause such grief?

Any suggestions?

Edited by captdavet

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

1. she can cross over without payment.

2. she has 1 year to pay, as the extra stamp in the passport at the POE will turn her visa into an i-551 document, a 1 year temporary green card.

I have some links somewhere on the payment portal - what you've described doesn't sound right, at all.

I'll post back in a moment.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

ELIS went live for this on 19 May 2013,

so I gotta say

the prior links I have are useless and

I think all is mucked up for her account and

try to make a new account asap,

selecting 'Applicant' as the account type.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

My USC husband paid this last week without a problem. He did it in less than 5 minutes and I received an email confirmation/receipt. He followed the exact instructions on the one-page paper instructions given to me along with my sealed POE envelope. Did your wife get that sheet of paper with instructions? It had the payment website address and step by step guide.

Interview date: May 2, 2013
POE: May 2013

Timeline

can you scan that page and post it somewhere,

with a link here ? TIA !

If your A number is only 8 digits long, put a 0 in front of it.

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It was much simpler when I paid for my husband but this method is also pretty straightforward as I just tried it now by creating an account and it took only few minutes before I got to the payment page( too many securiy questions and answers though for password retrieval). I even prefer this method as one can track the status of the case after payment.

Speedwell is right about inserting a zero if the registration/alien number is only 8 digits. The old system did not prompt toyu to do that but this ELIS thing will prompt you if you dont.

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Thanks for the responses. I do believe my problem will be solved by setting up another account using my wife's name & email address, and then setting it up for her as "applicant". My mistake was setting up on her behalf listing myself as "legal representative". That led to the two impossible choices I faced in setting up my profile. Up to that point the process was in fact simple.

Timeline

ya, setting up that account for 'applicant' seems the right way to go.

I think it's all stupid, really, as it's for the immigrant, but must be using USA bank account. Who has that, other than the petitioner? aiyo.

ya, setting up that account for 'applicant' seems the right way to go.

I think it's all stupid, really, as it's for the immigrant, but must be using USA bank account. Who has that, other than the petitioner? aiyo.

Well, my husband has a debit card to our US bank account, and the bank knows he is abroad, so he can pay his own fees all right... but in order to have that, of course, he needed to visit the US and get the banking stuff sorted.

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

I just made the payment after setting up another account using my wife's name and email address. My problems all started when I chose "legal representative" instead of "applicant" in the early stages. So it looks like the end result is that we completed everything by ourselves and stumbled only near the finish line with this rather silly little mistake!

• 1 month later...

I just tried to pay the immigrant fee with elis... got all the way to the place to insert my bank account info... CLICKED SUBMIT PAYMENT (was careful to only click once) and then the website crashed... to the "grey screen" that said "Unable to load requested page"... ohmy.png So after staring blankly at the screen for what seemed an eternity... I clicked reload page... returned to clear white screen of ELIS... and nothing. I don't know what happened to my payment... I DID NOT RECEIVE any confirmation from ELIS about receipt of payment. I'm afraid to try again for fear of multiple payments being sent. ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I just tried to pay the immigrant fee with elis... got all the way to the place to insert my bank account info... CLICKED SUBMIT PAYMENT (was careful to only click once) and then the website crashed... to the "grey screen" that said "Unable to load requested page"... ohmy.png So after staring blankly at the screen for what seemed an eternity... I clicked reload page... returned to clear white screen of ELIS... and nothing. I don't know what happened to my payment... I DID NOT RECEIVE any confirmation from ELIS about receipt of payment. I'm afraid to try again for fear of multiple payments being sent. ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Try to log in and see what happens ...

When I set up my account I received the following email:

Dear USCIS Customer,

Welcome to ELIS! Thank you for requesting access to the system. To complete your account set-up and confirm your e-mail address, please follow this link:

I completed the set-up, did the payment, but didn't receive any confirmation either.

The status of my case though is now :

Your application/petition has been accepted and is pending review.

Going to check my cc account regularly to see if the fee is cashed.

GC & SSN
07-05-2013: Immigrant fee - $165 - paid
12-15-2013: POE Detroit
02-04-2014: ELIS - CASE STATUS: OPTIMIZED (Case received: 01-02-2014. STATUS DETAILS: In Process)
02-11-2014: USCIS - "Your new card is being produced etc...."
02-14-2014: USCIS - Card has been picked up by USPS - ELIS is down
02-15-2014: GC delivered!
Removal of Condition
11-16-2015: I-751 Petition sent to the California Center
11-19-2015: Petition received (UPS)
11-19-2015: NOA USCIS
11-23-2015: Check of $590 (Petion Fees) cashed
12-23-2015: Biometrics
05-05-2016: RFE
08-15-2016: Interview (positive)

Thanks... I also figured best to just check my account in a few days to see if any payment to USCIS has cleared. If not, then I will try again. :) I have not tried to log in again.. had to "step away" from it all to cool off. ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.