SLN

got GC-got Divorce-wanna change SNN only not GC

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello All !!

I just received my 10 years GC a month ago, and filed for divorce, and now my divorce is granted.

I’m not sure if I post this question at the right board or not.

Now I want to change my last name to my maiden name on all documents. But I don’t want to pay i-90 fee and I don’t wanna have a new green card---I just received it a month ago…..so..you know what I mean.

The thing is …I’m working full time now. And my work email and my name at work is my firat name and my ex-husband last name. I had so much pain from my past relationship that I don’t want to see my name with this last name anymore. I feel free after my divorce is granted and I don’t wanna be known or be called in that last name anymore.

So, my question is….

Can I just change my name on my SSN? So my company can change my name on my paycheck, so When I do my tax return-everything is matched and cause no problem?

My passport and my greencard will remain the same. My first name and my ex-husband last name.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You can go to court - obtain a name change, then change everything else or walt till you can apply for citizenship and change it then. You can't change your name on the social etc. without court or uscis action. We used the GC at AOS for a name change, then SS and DL etc. Might be cheaper to do a info pass appt and get some advice from them, first.

Maybe someone here has your exact circumstances?

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

When I got divorced, I didnt ask the judge to change my last name legally. So later on down the road when I went to court for child custody, I had the judge change it then. I dont know if it varies from state to state, but I was told it has to be done legally.

08/01/12-Married08/17/12-Applied for Social Security Card09/23/12-Husband received his Social Security card!09/27/12-Filed AOS09/28/12-AOS package received10/01/12-Text message from USCIS10/03/12-Check cashed10/09/12-NOA1 for I485,I765,I131 AND Biometrics Appointment Letter10/24/12-Biometrics Appointment12/11/12-EAD and AP Approved-75 days12/14/12-EAD/AP Card Production ordered12/21/12-EAD/AP Card came in the mail06/22/13-Green Card Approved06/27/13-Greed Card Production Ordered06/29/13-Green Card came in the mail<p>

04/09/15-Mailed ROC

04/10/2015-Package received

04/14/2015-Check cashed

06/02/2015-Called Service Center (still no NOA1) Service request found out wrong address on paperwork! :(

06/03/2015-Called to get address updated Ar11 online add change didnt work-got infopass for June 10th

06/10/2015-Went to info pass appt. Hubby got a 1yr. Extension stamp in his passport and biometrics done

08/12/2015-ROC Approved. Got letter in the mail.

08/29/2015-received new card in the mail.

When I got divorced, I didnt ask the judge to change my last name legally. So later on down the road when I went to court for child custody, I had the judge change it then. I dont know if it varies from state to state, but I was told it has to be done legally.

:yes:

Our Journey
6/13/2012 Sent I-129F package
6/14/2012 NOA1 --> California Service Center
9/25/2012 NOA2
10/01/2012 NOA2 Hardcopy received
10/01/2012 NVC Received
10/19/2012 Left NVC
11/30/2012 Picked-up Packet from Local Post Office
01/16/2013 Medical
01/23/2013 Interview - In AP

09/24/2013 Visa picked-up from DOMEX
10/10/2013 POE Ft. Lauderdale

10/28/2013 Applied for Social Security Number

01/01/2014 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

heart_28.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

First, it depends on whether you asked to revert to your maiden name in the divorce, if you didn't you will need a court order.

If you DID, then ... well it depends. Technically your SSN needs to match your GC because that is your work authorisation (so when they look you up in e-verify they would need to look you up by your married name, which wouldn't then match your SSN). I have read of some people on here that just change the SSN then they can get their drivers license in their other name... but honestly I don't know how much sense that would make because your I-9 for your job would need to be in your married name, to match the GC... (unless you show the unrestricted SSN and your DL as ID for that) I would think it would be better for you to have it ALL match.

Honestly, I think you should change your GC. If the name brings you that much distress then the $500 would be money well spent and you would officially be all the way back to your maiden name.

Timeline

Oh I forgot to mentioned that on my divorce decree, I put my maiden name.

It has the section where it says that i will resume my maiden name. And shall be known as Ms. (first name ) (maiden name).

okay good, no need for a court order.

I believe you can go change your SSN with the decree, but it will still not match your employment authorisation (aka greencard) and I would think you'd then have a mismatch issue, or at the very least there may come a time you will have to use your married name (which I would find upsetting and irritating).

Like I said, personally I'd save up and change the GC. Maybe you could ask your work if you can change the email etc until you can afford to change the GC? I know some places that would be okay with that.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

ok, would this cause problem,

if when i travel, i use my GC and passport --which has my first name and ex-husband lastname

but at work, i use my new name maiden name change SSN and Driving License. And pay tax ...IRS and etc. based on this documents.

I will eventually update my passport and greencard to be my current name. But planning to do it in a year or two. i want to take a break from dealing with USCIS , since I just done with them a month ago.

okay good, no need for a court order.

I believe you can go change your SSN with the decree, but it will still not match your employment authorisation (aka greencard) and I would think you'd then have a mismatch issue, or at the very least there may come a time you will have to use your married name (which I would find upsetting and irritating).

Like I said, personally I'd save up and change the GC. Maybe you could ask your work if you can change the email etc until you can afford to change the GC? I know some places that would be okay with that.

yeah...I will try that too. Because when customers come see me or when i have business meeting. They still called me Mrs.(my ex-husband last name)

even when my divorce was processing...I found it kinda weird when i go see my doctor...and they still asking health question related to my marriage status, when they annouce my name ....etc...

at least...when i get my new SSN ..and I can have a new Driving license ID, so i can use this ID and SSN to change my name at work.

and my HR will change my name on my paycheack, my name on my healthcare benefit, my name on paycheck-Tax-IRS, 401K

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Being in the business all your documents need to match or line up. My wife has her Chinese Passport in her maiden name and will leave it so. Her GC, DL, SSC have all her names first/ middle her maiden and my last. She carries her a copy of her marriage certificate but has never used it. V & T are right on, if it bothers you change it.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Oh I forgot to mentioned that on my divorce decree, I put my maiden name.

It has the section where it says that i will resume my maiden name. And shall be known as Ms. (first name ) (maiden name).

IMO, if you show that to a supervisor at SSA office, that should be enough to facilitate them changing it, as it IS a court order showing the change.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

IMO, if you show that to a supervisor at SSA office, that should be enough to facilitate them changing it, as it IS a court order showing the change.

Exactly, the document ITSELF is enough for a legal name change regardless of how your name appears on it (maiden or married name) and it doesn't matter if your divorce was last week or 10 years ago. Too much incorrect info on this topic here I'm afraid...

Timeline

Exactly, the document ITSELF is enough for a legal name change regardless of how your name appears on it (maiden or married name) and it doesn't matter if your divorce was last week or 10 years ago. Too much incorrect info on this topic here I'm afraid...

Actually you're wrong. This varies from state to state, just like it does for marriage certificates. If there is an option to elect going back to her maiden and she didn't, then she will need a court order. If there is no option then it can be either. Usually there is an option.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Actually you're wrong. This varies from state to state, just like it does for marriage certificates. If there is an option to elect going back to her maiden and she didn't, then she will need a court order. If there is no option then it can be either. Usually there is an option.

No, I'm sorry this is not correct. Name changes are done at Social Security which is a federal agency - no variation state to state. Anytime a divorcee wishes to return to their maiden name, the divorce decree itself is the sole legal document necessary to do this, regardless of how that person's name appears on it (married or maiden name) and regardless of when the decree was issued. There is no time-limited option that you speak of. The procedure's the same as with a name change based on marriage.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.