apple21

Do you always bring your Green Card with you?

58 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Do you always bring your Green Card with you? Even if you already have a valid Driver's License or State ID. :whistle:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from Bringing Family to Your New Life in America forum ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I made my wife a laminated two sided color copy of her green card. She carries that with her all the time, as well as her driver's license. We keep the original safe at home where we don't need to risk it getting lost.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I believe in accordance to the law, you are to have it on ones possession. But if you loose it, of course it is $$$ to replace. Did I carry it, no, but that was my choice! But being from Canada, I sort of look American,lol Maybe if I did not look so "American" I may have carried it!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I don't carry mine. I just use my Drivers License for Id.

05/22/2012 - MAILED AOS PACKAGE.
06/04/2012 - RECEIVED NOTICE IN THE MAIL.
06/04/2012 - RECEIVED BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT IN THE MAIL.
06/06/2012 - WALK IN BIOMETRICS COMPLETED.
07/11/2012 - TEXT AND EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS OF I-485 INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT.
07/13/2012 - RECEIVED HARD COPY OF INTERVIEW NOTICE IN THE MAIL.
07/28/2012 - EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDER.
08/04/2012 - EAD CARD IN HAND.
08/15/2012 - GC INTERVIEW. APPROVED. PASSPORT STAMPED.
08/20/2012 - GC CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED.
08/23/2012 - GC RECEIVED.

06/28/2014 - MAILED I-751 PACKAGE

07/05/2014 - RECEIVED NOA 1

01/15/2016 - Interviewed and Approved.

08/02/2016 - N400 Interviewed and Approved.

Filed: Other Timeline

I have never carried any of my Green Cards nor my SS card with me, except when I needed to. I needed to on the way to airport when catching an international flight, or when having an appointment at the USCIS office. For all other purposes I have used -- and still use -- the identification all folks in this country use: my Driver License.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Do you always bring your Green Card with you? Even if you already have a valid Driver's License or State ID. :whistle:

Legally you are required to.

Realistically, seeing it costs a LOT to replace, I personally don't unless I'm traveling far from home. Far being more than the hour I drive to work.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have never carried any of my Green Cards nor my SS card with me, except when I needed to. I needed to on the way to airport when catching an international flight, or when having an appointment at the USCIS office. For all other purposes I have used -- and still use -- the identification all folks in this country use: my Driver License.

I'm with you. I kept my GC in my sock drawer unless I needed it. No need anymore...I'm naturalized!!

Timeline

Thanks for all the replies. I read at the USCIS website that all LPRs aged 18 and above should always bring with them their GC otherwise its a misdemeanor offense. That's why I became curious if people actually bring their GCs with them everywhere. I know my husband do even though he already has a DL.

Timeline

Thanks for all the replies. I read at the USCIS website that all LPRs aged 18 and above should always bring with them their GC otherwise its a misdemeanor offense. That's why I became curious if people actually bring their GCs with them everywhere. I know my husband do even though he already has a DL.

Exactly. Legally you are supposed to. I believe mine is in my wallet right now but only because I needed to renew my license.

Timeline

If you're involved, let's say, in a minor fender bender and a police officer came in, won't he ask for your DL and eventually your GC? I'm just curious because I don't know the instances when people are supposed to present their GCs.

Timeline

If you're involved, let's say, in a minor fender bender and a police officer came in, won't he ask for your DL and eventually your GC? I'm just curious because I don't know the instances when people are supposed to present their GCs.

Local LEO's are not permitted to ask about your legal status. So no, he can ask for your DL but not your GC and/or proof of status.

Timeline

Local LEO's are not permitted to ask about your legal status. So no, he can ask for your DL but not your GC and/or proof of status.

I see. Thanks for the info.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.