Lemonslice

N-400 Part 7 Time Outside the USA

7 posts in this topic

I have a general idea of when I went back to Canada, but not all the exact dates; how should I answer the question?

I know I went back for Christmas, but I'm not sure it if was from December 23rd or 24th to January 2nd or 3rd in 2011... and then a few really short trips (2 or 3 days) I know I took, but it was in "July 2010" or "Fall 2011"... I don't want to lie, I'm just not 100% sure of the dates.

Trips outside of Canada, I have more accuracy in my records. :blush:

Thank you for your help - I know it's all my fault. :bonk:

Edited by Boston~Montreal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have a general idea of when I went back to Canada, but not all the exact dates; how should I answer the question?

I know I went back for Christmas, but I'm not sure it if was from December 23rd or 24th to January 2nd or 3rd in 2011... and then a few really short trips (2 or 3 days) I know I took, but it was in "July 2010" or "Fall 2011"... I don't want to lie, I'm just not 100% sure of the dates.

Was your passport stamped? The dates should be there of when you returned. Just be honest during your interview as to approximately how long you stayed in Canada. The main concern is that the USCIS wants to make sure you didn't abandon your GC by being outside the US for more than 6 months at a time.

Our Naturalization Journey (Detailed timeline in About Me section)

01/14/2013 Mailed N-400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox
01/18/2013 N-400 fees check cashed
01/18/2013 NOA Received (Biometrics appointment)
02/04/2013 Early Biometrics (Original date 02/14/2013)
02/07/2013 Status changed to in line for interview
02/13/2013 Received 2nd NOA (Interview scheduled)
02/15/2013 Received yellow letter from USCIS to bring DL
03/18/2013 N-400 Interview

03/20/2013 Status changed to in que for Oath ceremony
03/29/2013 Status changed to Oath ceremony scheduled and letter sent

04/01/2013 Received Oath Letter
04/09/2013 Oath Ceremony (N-400 completed in 2 months 3 weeks and 5 days)

event.png

Thanks.

No, they didn't even scan my passport every time and then I got a Nexus card. I do have a general idea of when I was out of the USA, and I know for sure I spent most of my time in the USA (total days out of the USA would be approximately 165 days in the last 3 years, longest trip being 70 days). I'll go back and review my credit card statements, but I might still be a little off.

Edited by Boston~Montreal

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just give an estimate. I was in the same situation and I told my IO that I couldn't remember every time I went to Canada to visit. He totally understood and just said have there been any extended trips over a month anytime you went? I said no, the most was for a week. He just wanted to know the duration and if I had been going there for extended periods of time or just for short weekend/week trips.

And yes, back then they didn't have the passport thing either, most the time I drove across so there is no real way to get documentation. So just estimate and explain that to the IO and you should be totally fine...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Thank you, I'll write clearly that this is a list of my trips but that the dates are approximate for some of the Canada short trips as I don't have an exact register of them all. I know I've been in the USA long enough to apply, and I don't want to lie or mislead them, I simply do not remember the exact details :blush::wacko:

I answered that question 'to the best of my ability' and I know that it was not 100%, but on the other hand it was n't far off either...

AOS/EAD/AP Filed:2006-09-23
AP Approved:2006-10-30
EAD Approved!:2006-11-02
AOS Approved!:2007-02-12

Remove Conditions filed:2008-11-13
Green Card Received:2009-01-30

N400 Filed:2013-01-25 (Phoenix)
Biometrics:2013-02-25 (Grand Rapids)
Interview:2013-05-07(Detroit)

Oath Ceremony:2013-05-24(Marquette)

Thank you all, I'll write a note and make it clear that I am not 100% sure of the dates but that no stay exceeded x days and that they were not too frequent, about every y months.

I'm still undecided about becoming a citizen, but I want to be ready if/when I do it. :blush:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.