memmy

What Ports of Entry give work authorization

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

No one who enters on a K-1 get a work card. That is obtained when you file for AOS and your EAD. You can get a social security card about two weeks after entering on the K-1, which is stamped no employment without DHS approval.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

No one who enters on a K-1 get a work card. That is obtained when you file for AOS and your EAD. You can get a social security card about two weeks after entering on the K-1, which is stamped no employment without DHS approval.

Yes, they do. At least, at JFK. It is valid for 90 days. Many people mention that on here. I need to know what other POE do that.

Edited by memmy

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Yes, they do. At least, at JFK. It is valid for 90 days. Many people mention that on here. I need to know what other POE do that.

Be sure and let us know how that goes.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Recently? I don't think so, that was years ago.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Recently? I don't think so, that was years ago.

A friend of mine arrived to the US a month ago and was told that if her port of entry had been JFK, she would have obtained that authorization. But i really have no idea how reliable the info is. The package from the Embassy that I received also mentions possible work authorization if arriving to certain POE ( without mentioning any specific ports).

A K-1 is not allowed to work without an EAD, even if they have a stamp they cannot work. This is an old practice.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Agree with the previous poster. The US is a complex place with many branches that have conflicting "rules" The key is who is in charge of the thing you want to do. Social Security has a huge manual about who can get a Social Security Number and why. For visa holders , ones that are work authorized are allowed SSN's so the K1 is listed under work authorized. But the social security department isn't in charge of who has permission to work. That falls under a different branch of the government and that branh says a K1 holder can work if they have an Employment Authorization Document. That is a card that comes from immigration and take 50-100 days to get and costs just short of $500 and would be valid until the I 94 you get when you enter expires. The I 94 expires at 90 days after entry so you may not get the card before it is invalid. There is NO stamp issued on a K1 visa that allows you to work legally. If you get a stamp and get work from someone that doesn't follow the rules, you WILL have to report this as unauthorized employment and it may delay your AOS.

Edited by NigeriaorBust

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

No POE's issue work permits. Period. End of conversation.Read above.

:thumbs:

Check the I-9 form and see what documents can be used to work legally. You will not find 'stamp from JFK on entry with a K-1 visa' on that list, I assure you. Someone that enters with a K-1 can file for the EAD before AOS, BUT it is a waste of $380 because it takes 2-3 months to process and will expire when their I-94 does. Since the I-94 expires in 90 days after entry, you would not have time to even use it before it expired. You enter on a K-1, go to SSA 10-14 days later and apply for your SSN, get married, file for AOS and you will file for EAD and AP at the same time. The cost of those 2 forms is waived when filing with your pending I-485 to adjust. No fee for it, and it will be good for a year. Use it while waiting for the green card to be approved to start working legally in the US. That is the only way to do it when entering with a K-1. If you needed to be able to work right away after entry, then you needed to get married and file for a CR-1 instead.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

NONE.

K-1s are not work authorized. Period.

In the past (before February 2009) there was some confusion on the wording of the I-9 form which authorizes work and a K-1 could be misinterpretted to be allowed to work. K-1s were NEVER "allowed to work" without an EAD or green card. EVER. Because, for some period, the wording was VAGUE, USCIS overlooked any violations of work performed by a K-1 holder. That was corrected in Februrary 20029 and enforcement began in April, 2009. It was all well documented here in the forums. Often people say the "law was changed" It was not. The law was never changed (that would have required an Act of Congress) they simply clarified the wording for item 5 in column A of the I-9 form. The law NEVER allowed K-1s to work. The messed up wording simply prevented the law from being enforced.

The stamp given at JFK on the I-94 has NO VALUE unless you also have a work authorized visa...You do not. JFK simply stamps them all and lets someone else figure it out. Our 13 year old K-2 son got a stamp when he entered and he was underaged to work.

But, but but...they issue SSNs and SS says it is "work authorized" Yeah, right. SS does not determine who works, DHS does. SS classifies the K-1 in a default position as "work authorized" so the system will issue SSNs to K-1s because SOME states required an SSN to get married and K-1s need to get married. SSNs do not authorize work and your card will say so.

K-1's are NOT work authorized.

Get married, file for AOS, file a form I-765 for the EAD and wait 2-3 months, perhaps longer. Until then...go shopping, go to school, volunteer, etc.

Ok, thanks a lot for your reply!

Agree with the previous poster. The US is a complex place with many branches that have conflicting "rules" The key is who is in charge of the thing you want to do. Social Security has a huge manual about who can get a Social Security Number and why. For visa holders , ones that are work authorized are allowed SSN's so the K1 is listed under work authorized. But the social security department isn't in charge of who has permission to work. That falls under a different branch of the government and that branh says a K1 holder can work if they have an Employment Authorization Document. That is a card that comes from immigration and take 50-100 days to get and costs just short of $500 and would be valid until the I 94 you get when you enter expires. The I 94 expires at 90 days after entry so you may not get the card before it is invalid. There is NO stamp issued on a K1 visa that allows you to work legally. If you get a stamp and get work from someone that doesn't follow the rules, you WILL have to report this as unauthorized employment and it may delay your AOS.

Ok, thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.