Meng_meng

TO FILIPINO BENEFICIARIES: CFO'S PARENT'S CONSENT TO MARRY

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I received our Manila Case number and already scheduled an interview. Also, I planned to attend the seminar required by the Commission of Filipino Overseas. I am below 25 and I have heard that I need to provide a parent's consent to marry. I also heard that I need to bring a hand written parent's consent to marry. Is there any truth to this? And if this any true, could anybody be kind enough to show us their format or sample or a parent's consent to marry.

Your help would be highly appreciated.

Shane and Jennie

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone,

My fiance and I received our Manila Case number and already scheduled an interview. Also, I planned to attend the seminar required by the Commission of Filipino Overseas. I am below 25 and I have heard that I need to provide a parent's consent to marry. I also heard that I need to bring a hand written parent's consent to marry. Is there any truth to this? And if this any true, could anybody be kind enough to show us their format or sample or a parent's consent to marry.

Your help would be highly appreciated.

Shane and Jennie

This depends on your age...you said you are younger than 25, but you did not say how much younger than 25. In the past the CFO has supplied the document that your parents need to sign.

Timeline

This depends on your age...you said you are younger than 25, but you did not say how much younger than 25. In the past the CFO has supplied the document that your parents need to sign.

I am 23 years old. I heard they require even someone at my age to bring a parent's letter of consent to marry.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi sis. there is a family code, wherein 18-21 years old are asked to have a CONSENT to marry but if you are 21-25, you should ask them the ADVICE to marry. I have a form of the advice to marry since im still 24 turning 25. i can give you the link to these forms. they dont usually need to be handwritten as long as you fill out the forms and have it notarized and signed by BOTH of your parents. ?

Edited by nixandrei

03/27/2012- I-129F sent to USCIS

04/02/2012- NOA1 email

04/05/2012- NOA1 hard copy received

07/23/2012- finally some light! RFE via EMAIL

08/05/2012- Sent RFE reply from Philippines

08/09/2012- RFE Reply Response Review Notification Email

08/15/2012- NOA2 Approval via Email

08/22/2012- Hard copy of NOA2 received!

08/24/2012- MNL case number noted!

08/31/2012- Physical Exam at SLEC- Passed!

09/07/2012- Big Day! Interview-> APPROVED!

09/14/2012- CFO Seminar->done!

09/18/2012- Visa on Hand!, CFO Sticker DONE! YAY!!!!

10/04/2012- America Here I Come!!!

10/05/2012- Touchdown Chicago!

Filed: IR-2 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am 23 years old. I heard they require even someone at my age to bring a parent's letter of consent to marry.

This may be true...the CFO are very strict bunch of people.

Timeline

Hi sis. there is a family code, wherein 18-21 years old are asked to have a consent to marry but if you are 21-25, you should ask them the advice to marry. I have a form of the adivce to marry since im still 24 turning 25. i can give you the link to these forms. they dont usually need to be handwritten as long as you fill out the forms and have it signed by BOTH of your parents. ?

Hi sis, I'd love to have the link to these forms. May I have it?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi sis, I'd love to have the link to these forms. May I have it?

http://www.quezoncity.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=236:downloadable-forms&catid=77&Itemid=309

here sis. have print the form parental advice to marry :) to be sure print and have 2 copies signed :) hope that helps!!! god bless you on your upcoming interview :)

03/27/2012- I-129F sent to USCIS

04/02/2012- NOA1 email

04/05/2012- NOA1 hard copy received

07/23/2012- finally some light! RFE via EMAIL

08/05/2012- Sent RFE reply from Philippines

08/09/2012- RFE Reply Response Review Notification Email

08/15/2012- NOA2 Approval via Email

08/22/2012- Hard copy of NOA2 received!

08/24/2012- MNL case number noted!

08/31/2012- Physical Exam at SLEC- Passed!

09/07/2012- Big Day! Interview-> APPROVED!

09/14/2012- CFO Seminar->done!

09/18/2012- Visa on Hand!, CFO Sticker DONE! YAY!!!!

10/04/2012- America Here I Come!!!

10/05/2012- Touchdown Chicago!

Timeline

http://www.quezoncity.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=236:downloadable-forms&catid=77&Itemid=309

here sis. have print the form parental advice to marry :) to be sure print and have 2 copies signed :) hope that helps!!! god bless you on your upcoming interview :)

Sis, hindi ko mahanap yong PARENTAL ADVICE TO MARRY.

:thumbs: CFO does require consent or advice depending on your age, and others have used these forms or used as templates if an officer requires hand written statement. It is rather silly considering the marriage will be a US marriage, and the law was actually created for Filipino citizens contracting marriage within the Philippines, but regardless, the CFO will more than likely request it of the Filipino/a beneficiary.

The Family Code of the Philippines:

Art. 14. In case either or both of the contracting parties, not having been emancipated by a previous marriage, are between the ages of eighteen and twenty-one, they shall, in addition to the requirements of the preceding articles, exhibit to the local civil registrar, the consent to their marriage of their father, mother, surviving parent or guardian, or persons having legal charge of them, in the order mentioned. Such consent shall be manifested in writing by the interested party, who personally appears before the proper local civil registrar, or in the form of an affidavit made in the presence of two witnesses and attested before any official authorized by law to administer oaths. The personal manifestation shall be recorded in both applications for marriage license, and the affidavit, if one is executed instead, shall be attached to said applications. (61a)

Art. 15. Any contracting party between the age of twenty-one and twenty-five shall be obliged to ask their parents or guardian for advice upon the intended marriage. If they do not obtain such advice, or if it be unfavorable, the marriage license shall not be issued till after three months following the completion of the publication of the application therefor. A sworn statement by the contracting parties to the effect that such advice has been sought, together with the written advice given, if any, shall be attached to the application for marriage license. Should the parents or guardian refuse to give any advice, this fact shall be stated in the sworn statement. (62a)

http://www.chanrobles.com/executiveorderno209.htm#.UBGqaWEdMXY

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.