SteveM

I-134 insufficient Income

26 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am looking to start my K1 Visa to bring my Fiance over from the Philippines. My problem is that my 1099 income from my job is only around 11k a year as stated on IRS forms. My mother owns a lot of property in the Los Angeles area and she provides me with a free house that's rental value is over $2k a month in exchange for taking care of maintenance and such on her other properties. What should I be thinking about providing or doing to make sure that I don't have any issues on the I-134?

Thank You

Steve M

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi all,

I am looking to start my K1 Visa to bring my Fiance over from the Philippines. My problem is that my 1099 income from my job is only around 11k a year as stated on IRS forms. My mother owns a lot of property in the Los Angeles area and she provides me with a free house that's rental value is over $2k a month in exchange for taking care of maintenance and such on her other properties. What should I be thinking about providing or doing to make sure that I don't have any issues on the I-134?

Thank You

Steve M

You will need to get a co sponsor. If anyone you know meets the requirement ask them to help you with it.

I have never heard or read anywhere that a co-sponsor in Manila is not allowed! This is incorrect, bad, misleading information and should be "ignored!"

Anyways, you will need to provide the USCIS proof that you meet the minimum sponsor requirements. The easiest way for you to do this is to include a "co-sponsor."

Good luck!

Sid

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yes you will have a problem, and yes, Manila doesn;t usually allow co-sponsors.

Can you pick up a second job to make up the difference?

Would your mother consider gifting you one of her properties, so you can get extra (rental) income from that?

How about changing your plans and marrying in Phils, then petitioning for a CR-1 spousal visa? Co-sponsors are allowed for that.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I have never heard or read anywhere that a co-sponsor in Manila is not allowed! This is incorrect, bad, misleading information and should be "ignored!"

Anyways, you will need to provide the USCIS proof that you meet the minimum sponsor requirements. The easiest way for you to do this is to include a "co-sponsor."

Good luck!

Sid

Usually Manila doesn't allow co-sponsors for K-1 visa, but they do allow for CR-1. OP you better off to get married in Philipines and apply for CR-1 with co-sponsor.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It seems that Manila is unlikely to allow co-sponsors for K1. As others noted they HAVE to allow them for CR-1. So getting married there in Philippines is a good move.

WIth an income of 11k a year, might be tough to support both you and your fiancé.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

As you have been informed co-sponsors are rarely accepted for K-1 from the embassy in Manila, but going the IR/CR-1 route they have to accept a co-sponsor.

Only time I read of a co-sponsor being accepted with the K-1 both the sponsor (petitioner) and co-sponsor completed I-864s along with the I-134, but that is a gamble just the same. The for sure route is to go with the IR/CR-1.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Ok, well, I was looking for different advice. I don't only make 11k a year, that is all that is on 1099 and shows up on my IRS forms. I make 11k a year from a side job, Free House from handling my mothers properties, and I also do computer consulting but this is never reported.

What if my mother started paying me $2,500 a month (the value of my rent) and I just pay rent back to her? Is this something that I could show to UCSIS as income? Can I add the miscellaneous income from my computer consulting to my IRS tax forms and have it be counted by USCIS or will they not accept it if there is no W2 or 1099 associated with it? Does the 20K sitting in my bank account matter for any of this, will it help?

Thanks in advance

Steve M

JUST GET YOUR MOM TO WRITE YOU A LETTER STATING THAT IN JANUARY SHE STARTED PAYING YOU ___ AMOUNT OF MONEY A MONTH AND GET IT NOTIRIZE AND CLAIM IT ON YOU TAXES NEXT YR.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If he claims that on a 1099 form when he pays taxes he will be liable for the tax on whatever amount he puts down as income.

May 9, 11. Met on dating site Filipinacupid

chat 2x a day since

Dec 23, 11. met in Cebu, traveled to Balamban.

Dec 25th 11 asked her fathers permission to marry her in Cebuano. Engaged.

Jan 1, 12. Came home.

Jan 18th 12, I-129f recieved at vsc

Jan 25th 12, first noa

Feb 9 12, touched

July 2, 12 approved

July 7, 12 recieved noa2

July 16th, called nvc recieved case #

Aug 1st, CFO completed

Aug 16th, Interview date and Approved

JUST GET YOUR MOM TO WRITE YOU A LETTER STATING THAT IN JANUARY SHE STARTED PAYING YOU ___ AMOUNT OF MONEY A MONTH AND GET IT NOTIRIZE AND CLAIM IT ON YOU TAXES NEXT YR.

That was my thought, have her start paying me and I will just pay rent. I guess I am just worried because I will have no proof of income such as W2's or 1099's for this income, will that matter? I still have 1099's from another job.

Why cant I just report and claim my other income from computer consulting as well?

I just spoke to someone at Easyfiancevisa.com Is this a route I should take, or is it a waste of money?

Steve M

Edited by SteveM

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

That was my thought, have her start paying me and I will just pay rent. I guess I am just worried because I will have no proof of income such as W2's or 1099's for this income, will that matter? I still have 1099's from another job.

Why cant I just report and claim my other income from computer consulting as well?

I just spoke to someone at Easyfiancevisa.com Is this a route I should take, or is it a waste of money?

Steve M

Your self employment income ought to be included on your federal tax forms. That would allow you to use it toward the affidavit of support. If you are receiving 1099's are you considered an employee or contractor?

For a self employed sponsor the income amount used is line 22 of the most recent year's form 1040. If you are planning to file the petition soon it's likely that an affidavit of support will not be needed until next year. That gives you time to rearrange your relationship with your mom. Though she can just 1099 you for the $2500/month rather than issue a check and you submit payment to you. Be aware, there are tax ramifications (you are going to pay more) to you either way.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Your self employment income ought to be included on your federal tax forms. That would allow you to use it toward the affidavit of support. If you are receiving 1099's are you considered an employee or contractor?

For a self employed sponsor the income amount used is line 22 of the most recent year's form 1040. If you are planning to file the petition soon it's likely that an affidavit of support will not be needed until next year. That gives you time to rearrange your relationship with your mom. Though she can just 1099 you for the $2500/month rather than issue a check and you submit payment to you. Be aware, there are tax ramifications (you are going to pay more) to you either way.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.