caley

UNUSUAL PROBLEM - HELP

53 posts in this topic

I need some comments or suggestions regarding my problem. thank you in advance

I was 1 month pregnant with my ex-bf when me and my fiancee met. he decided to name the child after him on the Birth certificate and signed it, so now he applied the K1 petition including my son in the forms.and it was approved, We are now waiting for the NVC to pass the case to manila. my problem now is, is there gonna be a problem with my son's case since the petitioner and my son has the same surname but not really his biological father. my fiancee really loves my son and treat him like his own. need some advice. being frustrated now.thanks

I was 1 month pregnant with my ex-bf when me and my fiancee met. he decided to name the child after him on the Birth certificate and signed it, so now he applied the K1 petition including my son in the forms.and it was approved, We are now waiting for the NVC to pass the case to manila. my problem now is, is there gonna be a problem with my son's case since the petitioner and my son has the same surname but not really his biological father. my fiancee really loves my son and treat him like his own. need some advice. being frustrated now.thanks

I know of one case where the K-2 wasn't allowed for the child because the CO wanted the child's birth certificate to NOT show the petitioner's name. They were told that they either had to undergo CRBA (because the BC showed that the child was the petitioner's child at birth - which would be impossible to accomplish if they were asked for a DNA test) or they had to amend the child's birth certificate to NOT reflect the petitioner's name as the father. What happened was the child was left in the home country, the petitioner and beneficiary married, and now the USC is filing for the beneficiary's child as a stepchild. Their I-130 process isn't finished though, so I couldn't tell you if they went about it the right way.

USCIS

10/01/11 - Filed (2) I-130's

10/04/11 - NOA-1

04/05/12 - NOA-2

Your I-130 was approved in 184 days from your NOA1 date.

NVC

04/23/12 - NVC received both cases (18 days/12 business days from NOA-2)

05/07/12 - Case numbers and IIN's (14 days/10 business days since NVC received)

05/07/12 - Sent out DS-3032 by email; auto-response received

05/08/12 - AOS fee invoiced, paid - "IN PROCESS"

05/09/12 - AOS fee shows as "PAID"

05/10/12 - Spouse's DS-3032 accepted; minor child's rejected = had petitioner call NVC = received verbal acceptance from operator

05/11/12 - Spouse's IV fee invoiced

05/14/12 - Daughter's IV fee invoiced, paid both IV fees - "IN PROCESS"

05/15/12 - Both IV fees show as "PAID"

05/16/12 - Sent both AOS and both IV packages to NVC via USPS (expected delivery: 05/19/12)

05/21/12 - All 4 packages delivered

05/30/12 - Received checklist for daughter's AOS

05/31/12 - Sent response to checklist via USPS (expected delivery: 06/01/12); Spouse's case completed

06/07/12 - Daughter's case completed; waiting for interview date

06/14/12 - P4 received: interview date 07/11/12

Embassy

07/04-05/12 - Medical at SLEC

07/11/12 - Interview: APPROVED!

07/14/12 - Visas on hand

POE: 10/17/12

GC's on hand: 10/31/12

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Yes it will be a problem that he is on the birth certificate. You need to have him removed. he is not the child's father.

He is a USC and if the child was his bio child he would be eligible for USC, as he's not the bio father then he's not eligible for USC. It is fraudulent to have him on the birth certificate when you know he's not the dad. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if immigration wasn't involved (because so many women lie about who the dad is), but they are so you need to do things 100% legally.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The name on the birth certificate indicates that the child may have claims to US citizenship. If this is the case, the visa will not be issued to your child. This may delay your case substantially as you may be asked for a DNA test or an amended birth certificate

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The child seems to have a claim to US citizenship, so no visa for him. DNA test will say otherwise. So will the math if the CO compares conception time with first meeting.

Time to sort things out before it gets tangled and causes delays and / or stress.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

They might want a DNA test to verify the fiance is not the father since the child would be eligible for US citizenship and would not be issued a visa if it was biologically his.

my son already have a philippine passport. will it work if we will just get him a visa instead of getting us citizenship

They might want a DNA test to verify the fiance is not the father since the child would be eligible for US citizenship and would not be issued a visa if it was biologically his.

my son already have a philippine passport. will it work if we will just get him a visa instead of getting us citizenship because he is really not a biological son.

Edited by caley

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

my son already have a philippine passport. will it work if we will just get him a visa instead of getting us citizenship because he is really not a biological son.

If you claim that the father is a US citizen, he can't be given a visa. A visa for a Philippine child would need permission of the biological parent. That's the circumstance that you have to deal with.

It's not a decision that the CO can make. It's PI law and an international treaty.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

If you claim that the father is a US citizen, he can't be given a visa. A visa for a Philippine child would need permission of the biological parent. That's the circumstance that you have to deal with.

It's not a decision that the CO can make. It's PI law and an international treaty.

what is the best thing to do

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would attempt to get a CRBA. The information on http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/citizenship.html does say that it must be the biological parent, however given your situation I would make an appointment to go to the embassy and discuss it with them. It's best if it's the father goes but based on what the website says it's not mandatory. I would give that a shot and worst case explain it to them and see what they say.

If they don't give the CRBA then you would still need to go for the visa. Given the current Philippine passport it shouldn't be an issue.

If they are not given the CRBA and a US passport, the biological father doesn't really need to be involved. My stepson, now adopted son, came to the US without anything being done by his biological father whose name was on the BC... In the Philippines the mother has a pretty solid claim on the kids.

Edited by Grant PDX

I would attempt to get a CRBA. The information on http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/citizenship.html does say that it must be the biological parent, however given your situation I would make an appointment to go to the embassy and discuss it with them. It's best if it's the father goes but based on what the website says it's not mandatory. I would give that a shot and worst case explain it to them and see what they say.

If they don't give the CRBA then you would still need to go for the visa. Given the current Philippine passport it shouldn't be an issue.

If they are not given the CRBA and a US passport, the biological father doesn't really need to be involved. My stepson, now adopted son, came to the US without anything being done by his biological father whose name was on the BC... In the Philippines the mother has a pretty solid claim on the kids.

Thank you very much for your suggestion. but how can i get an appointment at the embassy. im not really after the CRBA and US passport. so you mean i can still get my son a visa using his philippine passport. sorry about all my questions, this is my first time asking someone about my situation.

Is your child's biological father a U.S. Citizen?

no he is a filipino citizen and i havent seen or heard anything from him since i got pregnant. thats the reason why my fiancee now decided to name my son to him.

Edited by caley

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.