Iyawo_Omo_Yoruba

Bona Fide Relationship requirements??

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

How about adding him as an "authorized user" in your credit cards. An authorized user doesn't need a SSN, that's what I did. I was able to add my husband to my bank account without a SSN. My Credit Union requested a notarized copy of his passport, ID and the application. I've also read that others were able to add their SO in the car insurance. Oh on that note, a report from the news last week said that married people have lower premiums on car insurance than single.

Also you can add them to your accounts if the bank is willing. I got this off of this site and all you need to do is get a W8BEN, They have to show/scan a copy of passport and a utility or proof of where they are liiving at the address they list in their country. They they are added.

For you to be added to their account in Nigeria as spouse you have to be a permanent resident. But you can be listed as a Beneficiary. Here is the form just in case.

Also I hope you are doing your taxes and having your husband on their also. You can do that with a W7 form you send in with your tax return.

Also here's my laundry list I have gotten here and there. Take away what you like people. Depending on your "red flags" and your country you may need none, some or all.

• Include phone records, chat messages, email, snail mail etc.
  • Be careful of the emails/letters that you submit, and only use those that show you guys in the best light (Do not submit documents with the information blacked out (unless it is a social security number).
  • Anything that shows you are a normal loving couple, that you discuss the things that most couples discuss (i.e. work, family, future plans, etc.) is good to submit. If you've been corresponding with his family, and they've been corresponding with other members of your family, submit this as well. You want to show depth and real family ties.
  • You have to go into this thinking that they think your marriage is a fraud, unless you prove them otherwise.
  • If you can get a letter from his family stating that they are aware of the age difference and give their approval this will be a big help as well.
  • Financial support: If money is being sent keep track of it - be it western union, paypal world debit, credit card with the spouses name on it (you do not need a social security card to add a spouse to your credit card and get them a card).
  • Ongoing Communication - Talking on the internet every day? Make sure you are logging it.. Telephone bills, etc..
  • Personal Meetings - Make sure these are documented, photos, passport stamps, hotel bills, etc.
  • I would organize your information with a timeline of your relationships and then bullet those three items..
  • Page one is a cover sheet describing the relationship and the evidence, then the timeline of the relationship, then the evidence as laid out in the cover sheet.
  • Each piece of evidence I have also explains what it covers with a small header.. For example I organize internet chats by month –
  • I only show the log that shows that we talked/chatted each day (a screenshot) and above have one paragraph explaining why we talked more or less that month and general things we talked about (ie: we did not talk June 24-28th because her internet was down, the heavy usage days the first week were because we were planning my upcoming trip, the heavy Wed and Fri days are because we go over new English word from her class, etc)...
  • If you do it month to month the time it takes is not great and shows an ongoing relationship evolving over time..

Whatdocuments are necessary to determine a bona fide marriage?

1. Photographs that show both spouses together and with family and friends. These photographs can be taken at the wedding, at other functions or events, and throughout their relationship.
  2. Letters between the couple before the marriage, with their postmarked envelope.
  3. Evidence of trips the couple has taken together, including bills and receipts reflecting hotel stays, car rental, plane tickets, postcards sent to family members while on the trip.
  4. Birth certificates of children of the marriage.
  5. Copies of joint income tax returns.
  6. Evidence of joint checking or savings accounts.
  7. Photo ID cards of both spouses with a new card for the wife showing her married name.
  8. Driver's licenses, credit cards, check cashing cards, employment ID cards, video club memberships, etc. for both parties.
  9. Real property deeds showing joint tenancy.
  10. Apartment lease or a letter from the landlord indicating that both spouses live at the apartment or copies of rent receipts showing both parties' names.
  11. Letter from an employer showing a change in records to reflect the spouses' new marital status.
  12. Letter from an employer showing designation of the spouse as the person to be notified in event of accident, sickness, or other emergency.
  13. Evidence of life insurance policies where the spouse is named as beneficiary.
  14. Evidence of medical or health insurance plans, which name the spouse as a member or beneficiary.
  15. Evidence of correspondence between parties, including letters, birthday and holiday cards, telephone calls, and other correspondence addressed to the parties.
  16. Religious marriage certificates if the couple had a church wedding.
  17. Copies of gas, electric, telephone and other utility bills.
  18. Evidence of joint ownership of an automobile.
  19. Evidence of all major purchases made together, such as stereo, television, refrigerator, washer, dryer, etc.
  20. Pictures of spouse and family.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Also you can add them to your accounts if the bank is willing. I got this off of this site and all you need to do is get a W8BEN, They have to show/scan a copy of passport and a utility or proof of where they are liiving at the address they list in their country. They they are added.

For you to be added to their account in Nigeria as spouse you have to be a permanent resident. But you can be listed as a Beneficiary. Here is the form just in case.

Also I hope you are doing your taxes and having your husband on their also. You can do that with a W7 form you send in with your tax return.

Also here's my laundry list I have gotten here and there. Take away what you like people. Depending on your "red flags" and your country you may need none, some or all.

• Include phone records, chat messages, email, snail mail etc.
  • Be careful of the emails/letters that you submit, and only use those that show you guys in the best light (Do not submit documents with the information blacked out (unless it is a social security number).
  • Anything that shows you are a normal loving couple, that you discuss the things that most couples discuss (i.e. work, family, future plans, etc.) is good to submit. If you've been corresponding with his family, and they've been corresponding with other members of your family, submit this as well. You want to show depth and real family ties.
  • You have to go into this thinking that they think your marriage is a fraud, unless you prove them otherwise.
  • If you can get a letter from his family stating that they are aware of the age difference and give their approval this will be a big help as well.
  • Financial support: If money is being sent keep track of it - be it western union, paypal world debit, credit card with the spouses name on it (you do not need a social security card to add a spouse to your credit card and get them a card).
  • Ongoing Communication - Talking on the internet every day? Make sure you are logging it.. Telephone bills, etc..
  • Personal Meetings - Make sure these are documented, photos, passport stamps, hotel bills, etc.
  • I would organize your information with a timeline of your relationships and then bullet those three items..
  • Page one is a cover sheet describing the relationship and the evidence, then the timeline of the relationship, then the evidence as laid out in the cover sheet.
  • Each piece of evidence I have also explains what it covers with a small header.. For example I organize internet chats by month –
  • I only show the log that shows that we talked/chatted each day (a screenshot) and above have one paragraph explaining why we talked more or less that month and general things we talked about (ie: we did not talk June 24-28th because her internet was down, the heavy usage days the first week were because we were planning my upcoming trip, the heavy Wed and Fri days are because we go over new English word from her class, etc)...
  • If you do it month to month the time it takes is not great and shows an ongoing relationship evolving over time..

Whatdocuments are necessary to determine a bona fide marriage?

1. Photographs that show both spouses together and with family and friends. These photographs can be taken at the wedding, at other functions or events, and throughout their relationship.
  2. Letters between the couple before the marriage, with their postmarked envelope.
  3. Evidence of trips the couple has taken together, including bills and receipts reflecting hotel stays, car rental, plane tickets, postcards sent to family members while on the trip.
  4. Birth certificates of children of the marriage.
  5. Copies of joint income tax returns.
  6. Evidence of joint checking or savings accounts.
  7. Photo ID cards of both spouses with a new card for the wife showing her married name.
  8. Driver's licenses, credit cards, check cashing cards, employment ID cards, video club memberships, etc. for both parties.
  9. Real property deeds showing joint tenancy.
  10. Apartment lease or a letter from the landlord indicating that both spouses live at the apartment or copies of rent receipts showing both parties' names.
  11. Letter from an employer showing a change in records to reflect the spouses' new marital status.
  12. Letter from an employer showing designation of the spouse as the person to be notified in event of accident, sickness, or other emergency.
  13. Evidence of life insurance policies where the spouse is named as beneficiary.
  14. Evidence of medical or health insurance plans, which name the spouse as a member or beneficiary.
  15. Evidence of correspondence between parties, including letters, birthday and holiday cards, telephone calls, and other correspondence addressed to the parties.
  16. Religious marriage certificates if the couple had a church wedding.
  17. Copies of gas, electric, telephone and other utility bills.
  18. Evidence of joint ownership of an automobile.
  19. Evidence of all major purchases made together, such as stereo, television, refrigerator, washer, dryer, etc.
  20. Pictures of spouse and family.

Wow, I sure could have used this before going into it! Some of these things I no longer have proof of..... :( Thanks for the input, though! Will be more diligent about keeping records better!

TracyJo

Timeline

Can you file tax return jointly with your spouse, even if he or she is not in the US yet (or without a socail security number)?

Yes you can fill out a W7 with your tax return (you can do turbo tax but you can't file it electronically and print it and send it all in. Fast fast cool beans.kicking.gif

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline

Wow, I sure could have used this before going into it! Some of these things I no longer have proof of..... :( Thanks for the input, though! Will be more diligent about keeping records better!

Hey you know now. And now you can go crazy and be prepared for your appeal process. So just get all you can in your arsenal.

ROC I-751

N-400

Timeline

So phone/text records, emails, photos, passport stamps weren't enough for the interview? I'm going to have to look into more things to get our names on together then. I already checked with my bank and they won't let me put his name on without a SS#. It's so annoying. I wonder what else we could put our names on?

One thing Kristine&Seam you have to realize is TracyJo and I are both dealing with the highest fraud country in the world. It is not easy at all. And in that last few years there's been a rise in younger men/older women so that has their "fraud alert" ears up. So for us we have to present extra extra evidence and mainly for us time together and frequent visits or long stays is the best evidence ever.

But still all that evidence you mentioned for anybody sure doesn't hurt.

ROC I-751

N-400

One thing Kristine&Seam you have to realize is TracyJo and I are both dealing with the highest fraud country in the world. It is not easy at all. And in that last few years there's been a rise in younger men/older women so that has their "fraud alert" ears up. So for us we have to present extra extra evidence and mainly for us time together and frequent visits or long stays is the best evidence ever.

But still all that evidence you mentioned for anybody sure doesn't hurt.

Man that definitely stinks that you have to deal with that! Thanks for letting me know though. I definitely want to be very prepared for all the next steps in this visa process. So any advice anyone gives on here I completely appreciate.

CSC Process

9/12/11- Sent out I-130

9/15/11- Rec'd NOA 1

3/6/12- 5 months 21 days- Still waiting for NOA 2 :/

3/7/12- Called USCIS- say they are back logged and to wait 30 to 45 more days :(

3/27/12- NOA 2 Approved!!(194 days from NOA 1 date)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi, my wife the US Citizen, added me to her triple A memberships and the gym etc which she said was very easy to do(aswell as bank accounts also as an AU on her Credit Cards) I did the same in Ireland for her and with what you listed below plus a few Affidavits from 3rd parties it was good enough.

TracyJo, good luck this time round

Kristine&sean ,good luck with the rest of your journey

Cheers

So phone/text records, emails, photos, passport stamps weren't enough for the interview? I'm going to have to look into more things to get our names on together then. I already checked with my bank and they won't let me put his name on without a SS#. It's so annoying. I wonder what else we could put our names on?

Timeline

I opend an AARP membership with both of our names on it. My landlord in now in the process of amending my lease to my married name and adding my husband to it. I'm also going to BJ's to open an account there for us both through my job and then one with AAA. I am waiting to see if my husband was added to my HSBC online account :). I have Geico car insurance and was able to add my husband as an authorized driver. He is also my beneficiary on my life insurance. All of this takes time but hopefully will be enough for the future interview in Lagos.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hullo TracyJo -

here's what I did for the I-130 packet -

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=218775&st=0&p=3324240&hl=Rusticentry3324240

perhaps you can do something similar?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

for proof i sent in life insurance policy that had him and my daughter as benificary, i went to the bank and they said he cant be on my account yet without passport seen or ID , so they put him on my account as POD which means Payable on death. also i had 3 letters ..1 from my mom cause she knows everything , 2 my brother cause so does he and 3 from my husbands friend i met in duabi who also knows our relationship.

oh and i just added him to my insurance for eye and dentist last month, but i didnt send proof of that since we just had open enrollment and now he is in AP waiting embassy for visa. I wish you the best of luck and speedy process!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife (the USC) and I were married in November 2010. Within a week of our marriage, we went to a TD Bank branch here in Connecticut to open a joint account. My wife just provided her SSN and CT driver's license, and a certified copy of our marriage certificate.

As I was not yet a US resident, I had no SSN or ID from the US at the time. The bank employee just filled out a special form for a foreign spouse, and I had to show my Canadian passport as primary proof, along with one other piece of ID. We had no problem getting the bank account opened in BOTH our names, even though, as I said, I was NOT a US resident at the time. And this was done about 3 months BEFORE my wife even submitted the I-130 petition.

So a joint account CAN be done without the foreign spouse having an SSN. Whether or not it depends on the country the foreign spouse is from, I do not know.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
11/26/2010: Marriage (Marlborough, CT on Black Friday)
USCIS
02/04/2011 I-130: Sent
02/10/2011 I-130: NOA1
05/16/2010 I-130: NOA2 (I-130 Approved)
NVC (Electronic)
05/17/2011: NVC Received
06/11-14/2011: OPT IN for EP (accepted 06/14/2011)/Completed DS-261/Pay I-864 Bill
06/15/2011: Receive IV Bill
06/21/2011: Pay IV Bill
06/23/2011: I-864EZ Completed & Submitted
07/15/2011: DS-260 Submitted
08/04/2011: Scanned documents submitted
08/16/2011: Case Completed at NVC
MONTREAL
08/16-17/2011: Consulate Received/Packet 4 Received
Medical: 09/23/2011 (Medisys in Montreal)
Interview Date: 09/28/2011 (APPROVED!)
Left Montreal for Kitchener, ON to see my sister: 09/29/2011 (wife and stepdaughter arrive 10/08/2011 for Canadian Thanksgiving)
Visa Received at DHL in Kitchener/Waterloo: 10/03/2011
US
10/11/2011 : POE - Niagara Falls, NY via the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge
10/21/2011 : SSN Received
10/21/2011(#1)/10/31/2011(#2)/ 11/03/2011(#3): Welcome letters received
11/05/2011: Permanent green card received with errors in 'Resident since' and 'Expires' dates as both have the wrong year - new card needed
01/25/2012: Biometrics taken at ASC in East Hartford, CT for replacement permanent green card
02/16/2012: Notification of replacement green card production
02/22/2012: New green card sent
02/23/2012: Received new green card with correct information

ROC (Vermont Service Center)

10/09/2013: I-751 sent

10/11/2013: Check cashed

10/15/2013: Received NOA1

10/23/2013: Received biometrics appointment letter for 11/14/2013, during the week of family vacation. Reschedule request submitted.

11/04/2013: Received new biometrics appointment letter for 11/22/2013.

11/20/2013: Received notification that case was transferred to California Service Center (Notice date 11/15/2013)

11/22/2013: Biometrics appointment - informed card should be received in 3 - 6 months

03/20/2014: Received RFE (dated 03/13/2014)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Same thing here.

We opened a joint bank account when I didn't have a SSN, we weren't married at the time so he was listed as the primary owner. Wells Fargo used my passport as ID.

Once I got a SSN we updated our account, and updated it once again when I changed my name.

Naturalization
03/18/2013 N-400 package sent
03/22/2013 NOA
03/25/2013 Check cashed
04/12/2013 Biometrics appointment

05/10/2013 In line for Interview

05/20/2013 Interview letter

06/20/2013 Interview

07/24/2013 Oath Ceremony

For my complete Timeline please see the "About Me" section on my profile.

Timeline

In our case the information we sent in was not enough, sorry. We sent in over 300 pages of phone records, emails, FB interaction, and chats. Read what the others are posting here, I think you may be able to use a lot of it as well! I am going to be busy tomorrow, lol. Do yours now, so he can take the additional information when he has his interview! I wish we had known all of this before my husband went. It might have made a difference for us.

I filed married but separately, to get a tax return back. Once you file jointly, you can never change it. I am self employed so it made more sense for me to do it that way, but that's a good idea for others!

How did you file taxes as married without a social for your spouse. I was going to do that but the form requires a social.

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.