Nich-Nick

London 2012- K1s from NOA2 to interview thread

2,468 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

If you've mailed back your response, you ought to be approved within 2 weeks (unless that's changed a lot recently). Please send him to get shots before his medical exam. Not too early or he may need a 2nd MMR if 4 weeks pass and he hasn't had his medical. If he had a MMR just before (< four weeks) his medical, then it would be medically inappropriate to have another MMR by the appt, so they give him a waiver and it's good for AOS. So no MMR#2 ever. Or he can start now and get the second 4 weeks later, but before the medical.

The BIG mistake people make is believing the Knightsbridge nurse when she says enough time has elapsed since MMR#1 to need MMR #2, but if you don't want to pay them you'll be fine getting it at the GP after the exam. That means you won't get the waiver accepted by USCIS, and you will pay a civil surgeon in the US to sign a new immunization sheet. Sounds easy enough, but it's often an expensive nightmare.

What did you get the RFE for? You've been very meticulous with your stuff.

Nich-Nick,

Can you elaborate about what you are talking about here. Julian told me that he was missing one shot (the MMR I think) and would have to get it at his GP back in Banbury. Does this make it difficult when he gets here? He got them all done a while back and I'm certain it was more than 4 weeks ago that he got them done (I believe around April/May) Was he supposed to have his immunization sheet signed? I'm sorry if it's posted somewhere, just direct me and I'll read it over. I know that getting them there was supposed to save us money here, and I read that we need to get them to transfer his shots to a form that he needs for AOS right? Is that what you're speaking of. Is that what the surgeon signs? Thanks in advance.

Edited by MaryNYC

Nich-Nick,

Can you elaborate about what you are talking about here. Julian told me that he was missing one shot (the MMR I think) and would have to get it at his GP back in Banbury. Does this make it difficult when he gets here? He got them all done a while back and I'm certain it was more than 4 weeks ago that he got them done (I believe around April/May) Was he supposed to have his immunization sheet signed? I'm sorry if it's posted somewhere, just direct me and I'll read it over. I know that getting them there was supposed to save us money here, and I read that we need to get them to transfer his shots to a form that he needs for AOS right? Is that what you're speaking of. Is that what the surgeon signs? Thanks in advance.

I can't write it all out now. Briefly, maybe his medical has not left for the embassy because they wait for bloodwork. If he calls when they open Monday and asks them to hold his results until his GP can fax over his needed shot, it will be better. If they say he's fine as it is, tell them he wants it added to his record that goes to the embassy. Then they can mail him a new DS-3025 immunization sheet showing the additional shot.

If its on the ds3025, then no civil surgeon in the US. No additional form for AOS (I-693). Done and dusted.

If he gets it later, then there is no complete record for AOS signed off by a government approved doctor. . He has to take his shot records to a CS in the US to make one new form wilth everything on it by including what's written on the DS3025 and adding on the new shot proof his GP will give him. Most charge an arm and a leg and insist on doing a whole new full medical exam. Expect $100-300. A few lucky ones find one who will do just the shot record for $25-50. All that can be skipped by getting all shots recorded at Knightsbridge. USCIS will accept it instead of I-693 but only if it is complete. You can't use it with a tack-on from the UK GP. All or nothing before it leaves Knightsbridge.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

If you've mailed back your response, you ought to be approved within 2 weeks (unless that's changed a lot recently). Please send him to get shots before his medical exam. Not too early or he may need a 2nd MMR if 4 weeks pass and he hasn't had his medical. If he had a MMR just before (< four weeks) his medical, then it would be medically inappropriate to have another MMR by the appt, so they give him a waiver and it's good for AOS. So no MMR#2 ever. Or he can start now and get the second 4 weeks later, but before the medical.

The BIG mistake people make is believing the Knightsbridge nurse when she says enough time has elapsed since MMR#1 to need MMR #2, but if you don't want to pay them you'll be fine getting it at the GP after the exam. That means you won't get the waiver accepted by USCIS, and you will pay a civil surgeon in the US to sign a new immunization sheet. Sounds easy enough, but it's often an expensive nightmare.

What did you get the RFE for? You've been very meticulous with your stuff.

We got the electronic notice (no text or email) on the 11th, and hardcopy at 1pm on the 13th. I had the reply in the mail by 5pm on the 13th LOL. We got stuck with the whole "you did not send the certified copy of the decree absolute" thing for his divorce. I found the thread with what others have done so I sent a letter explaining that Alan double checked with the courts and they pointed out the features showing it is a registered copy. I also sent an unaltered copy, a copy with all the features highlighted and a copy in black and white that accentuated the stamp because it was extremely light on the original from the courts and did not copy well in color. I then had to call and place a service request because the RFE had my middle name misspelled. The woman said it shouldn't slow anything down since it was just a typo and all my submitted material was correct. I'm glad it was something simple and hopefully will be approved soon.

They've gone to the GP and Alan picked up the vials of the vaccines they need from the pharmacy. I don't remember when their next appointment is, but it's soon. They'll get a full copy of their medical records to bring with them, and letters explaining that Alan's asthma is under control and his son's Aspergers has just been diagnosed and is managed without medications. Are you saying that he should get both MMR shots before the medical or that he won't need the second and will get it signed with just one if it's within 4 weeks and he should just stand up to the nurse? We want to avoid a civil surgeon if possible.

The last hurdle we've got to get over is his court date to get permission to remove the boys from the UK. We've put together a great statement with solid evidence to back up what we've said and child services have interviewed everyone. His ex made a reply to our statement that is just, well....weird. We countered her statements with more evidence and statements from my parents and Alan's parents regarding how the boys will be cared for and will travel if we're not able to make the trips. It's just been a lot of time and paperwork that we don't need and the court date isn't until the first week of October. I'd like to have NOA2 by then to show them so I'm getting all kinds of anxious waiting for the reply. I just can't wait for all of this to be done and for us to be able to get our lives started again! I feel like everything's on hold right now.

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
~~Albert Schweitzer

8lrSm4.png
Meg and Alan

Initially filed for K1 visa - Feb 23 2012

Due to circumstances beyond our control, we've abandoned this application

We married on Aug 24, 2013 in a small ceremony in MA

We'll be applying for a CR1 / IR1 visa as soon as we are able

Watch this space for updates!

Wow, you've had to do more than most. And the RFE wasn't your fault, but somebody failing to understand the UK divorce decree doesn't have a signature, but only an ink stamp from the court. I've helped a few get over that RFE hurdle with my highlighter suggestion and it worked for them.

Are you saying that he should get both MMR shots before the medical or that he won't need the second and will get it signed with just one if it's within 4 weeks and he should just stand up to the nurse? We want to avoid a civil surgeon if possible.

Both. Either/or. It's not a matter of standing up to the nurse...just don't believe her when she says it's okay for AOS to get it later. Yes, it's okay but you will pay a civil surgeon. Yes you can get a K1 visa with zero shots, but before you AOS, you will get them and pay a civil surgeon to record them.

This works for AOS without a civil surgeon (unless your whole medical file gets lost by USCIS):

• Get two MMR shots four weeks apart before Knightsbridge
  • Get one MMR shot less than four weeks before Knightsbridge. Cant get another that dat because the time interval hasnt passed. Get a waiver by the AOS adjudicator. Never get the shot 2.
  • Have a record of a past MMR shot, but not two. Get #2 before Knightsbridge because it's been more than 4 weeks since your old shot was given. No excuse medically for not having #2

This does not work for AOS if you want to skip the civil surgeon.

• Have a record of a childhood MMR shot, but not two. Go to your GP and get it AFTER Knightsbridge has sent your record to the embassy with only one shot on it. You will have to get a civil surgeon to add it and sign off in the US.
  • Have a MMR, say 5-6 weeks before Knightsbridge. Since the 4 week interval between shot #1 and 2 has passed, you have no waiver excuse not to have #2. Believe the nurse who says it will be fine to get it at your GP and just send in your GP note to AOS. False. USCIS requires it signed off by a panel physician or civil surgeon. You will pay a civil surgeon to add the shot from the GP.

Look at the form they complete on you at Knightsbridge. DS-3025 is page 7. http://www.visajourney.com/downloads/Medical_Forms.pdf

Print it out and it will be easier to view.

On the right, there are columns to tick off if something is not medically appropriate.

1. Not age appropriate---they will tick that on every line (shot name) where it's a baby shot and not required for adults,
  2. Insufficient time interval- they tick that on MMR if the 4 week time interval hasn't passed..
  3. Contraindicated--proven allergies, or for MMR during pregnancy.
  4. Not routinely available- works for CR1s but not K1s who could get the shot in the US before AOS.
  5. Not flu season- ticked for the influenza shot between Apr 1 and Sept 30.

If those are ticked then a waiver for that shot can be given. USCIS will accept Knightsbrige form and go by the date of that exam. If it wasn't appropriate that day, then you were as complete as possible. Example...you don't have to wait on shot intervals to pass or a pregnancy to end then go get the shot. You get a waiver and are done.

Tell them you had chickenpox to get out of the varicella shot. They accept your word. Your sheet will be marked with VH. You can see the column for that on the worksheet.

Ok, got things to do so that it. I could write a thesis on the medical research I've done. Not going to proof for typos either so forgive me.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

As always, thank you for all the info. I'm guessing it's the same for the boys' Hep B shots. One is being given this Thursday, one is being done in 4 weeks and the third is due in 6 months. When they go to Knightsbridge, it won't be appropriate to have the third shot, so they can get a waiver? Am I right or totally off here?

In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.
~~Albert Schweitzer

8lrSm4.png
Meg and Alan

As always, thank you for all the info. I'm guessing it's the same for the boys' Hep B shots. One is being given this Thursday, one is being done in 4 weeks and the third is due in 6 months. When they go to Knightsbridge, it won't be appropriate to have the third shot, so they can get a waiver? Am I right or totally off here?

You are correct. They may need something for school eventually, but for immigration purposes, you can be given a waiver and do not have to delay your timeline waiting on intervals. The Knightsbridge nurse will tell you you need it and write all over the form when the next is due. I've had people confirm to me that her writing that did not keep them from being approved for AOS without getting the next shot or seeing a civil surgeon.

It is important to get that VH (varicella history) indicated on the record because they don't give varicella shots in the UK. If you didn't have chickenpox as a child, then the varicella shot would have to be taken once in the US. and a civil surgeon would be required. I hope the boys had chickenpox. They take your word for it. My daughters were before varicella shots and they were late finally getting chickenpox, even though the whole kindergarten class was wiped out with it and our neighbor kids. One was 18 when she finally had it.

Of special note right now is flu season starts Oct 1. Medicals before then are waived for a flu shot. It's too much to write so I will find a time or two I've posted it before and give a link if you like. There are ways to get around it, but most of you just getting NOA2 should add flu shot to your list. Get it at Tescos or anywhere and take proof to medicals after Oct 1.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

You are correct. They may need something for school eventually, but for immigration purposes, you can be given a waiver and do not have to delay your timeline waiting on intervals. The Knightsbridge nurse will tell you you need it and write all over the form when the next is due. I've had people confirm to me that her writing that did not keep them from being approved for AOS without getting the next shot or seeing a civil surgeon.

It is important to get that VH (varicella history) indicated on the record because they don't give varicella shots in the UK. If you didn't have chickenpox as a child, then the varicella shot would have to be taken once in the US. and a civil surgeon would be required. I hope the boys had chickenpox. They take your word for it. My daughters were before varicella shots and they were late finally getting chickenpox, even though the whole kindergarten class was wiped out with it and our neighbor kids. One was 18 when she finally had it.

Of special note right now is flu season starts Oct 1. Medicals before then are waived for a flu shot. It's too much to write so I will find a time or two I've posted it before and give a link if you like. There are ways to get around it, but most of you just getting NOA2 should add flu shot to your list. Get it at Tescos or anywhere and take proof to medicals after Oct 1.

Oh they've had chickenpox...yeah totally, all of them :whistle: I'm a chiropractor so HATE that they have to get all this #######. I've been personally hurt by a vaccine and will have this illness for life so I'm sensitive to the topic. There's vaccine waivers for schools here if we decide to go that route. I won't get on my soapbox so we're getting done what needs to be done for AOS and then we'll talk for long term. I'll have Alan talk to his doc about the flu jab. He got REALLY sick 2 yrs ago when he got it and skipped it since. He's allergic to eggs so has to be careful with flu shots. He actually did get sick after his MMR, so should mention that as well. He ended up with a fever and aching joints for days. I forgot to check ingredients for him cause I know he'd forget too. I don't need him being brought to the hospital to get AOS.

~~Albert Schweitzer

8lrSm4.png
Meg and Alan

Filed: Timeline

I can't write it all out now. Briefly, maybe his medical has not left for the embassy because they wait for bloodwork. If he calls when they open Monday and asks them to hold his results until his GP can fax over his needed shot, it will be better. If they say he's fine as it is, tell them he wants it added to his record that goes to the embassy. Then they can mail him a new DS-3025 immunization sheet showing the additional shot.

If its on the ds3025, then no civil surgeon in the US. No additional form for AOS (I-693). Done and dusted.

If he gets it later, then there is no complete record for AOS signed off by a government approved doctor. . He has to take his shot records to a CS in the US to make one new form wilth everything on it by including what's written on the DS3025 and adding on the new shot proof his GP will give him. Most charge an arm and a leg and insist on doing a whole new full medical exam. Expect $100-300. A few lucky ones find one who will do just the shot record for $25-50. All that can be skipped by getting all shots recorded at Knightsbridge. USCIS will accept it instead of I-693 but only if it is complete. You can't use it with a tack-on from the UK GP. All or nothing before it leaves Knightsbridge.

A huge thanks to you Nich-Nick. I relayed the info to Julian and he was able to have the results held while he gets the shot (tonight at 6) and we can have it added to the file and a complete form now. It will delay the petition a few days, but worth it in the long run!! Thanks again! blush.gif

Just to reiterate. When it's updated he needs a copy of it yes? And the form is DS3025?

A huge thanks to you Nich-Nick. I relayed the info to Julian and he was able to have the results held while he gets the shot (tonight at 6) and we can have it added to the file and a complete form now. It will delay the petition a few days, but worth it in the long run!! Thanks again! blush.gif

Just to reiterate. When it's updated he needs a copy of it yes? And the form is DS3025?

His doctor faxes to Knightbridge the shot proof (faster that way). Maybe make sure the office adds a fax cover saying an update to complete the shot record for John Smith, k1 visa applicant who had a visa exam on [date].

Knightsbridge fills out a new DS-3025 (that's the form number of the immunization sheet) to put in the medical packet to go to the embassy. Then they mail a photocopy of the updated DS-3025 to your fiancé.

Fast forward to AOS.......

You do not have a civil surgeon complete an I-693 form. You put a photocopy of the DS-3025 in the AOS submission. That is more of a reminder to USCIS that you are using the DS-3025 to qualify. The real original DS-3025 is with the rest of the medical forms in the "do not open" packet he turns in at POE. It's the original that's important, so sending the photocopy isn't an absolute necessity, but a good practice. I have advised people who knew they had all their shots but didn't have a photocopy to include a note saying "I had a K1 medical exam at ____ on _____, therefore do not require a new exam. You will find my completed immunization record in the medical file.". Those kind of people got back to me that they were approved without actually providing a DS-3025 in their AOS application.

Always keep a copy for yourself as documented proof of immunizations. Knightsbridge and the embassy can not provide a replacement. They don't keep those records. The one and only medical exam record is in the envelope turned in at POE. Sometimes USCIS can't find that file and the applicant is forced to repeat the entire medical with a civil surgeon. Having a copy of the shot record would be useful if you are an unlucky one that happens to.

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Nick I am one of the unlucky ones who is going to have to find a civil surgeon once I get to the US because I believed the nurse at Knightsbridge. I know you linked me to a thread that gave the number for Dr Arnold in Austin, TX (where I will be living) I called the office but the number isn't in service any more & a quick google search told me but he is now retired blush.gif

Do you or anyone else know of another CS in the Austin area or one like Dr Arnold who will fax papers back to you for a minimal cost?

They got our RFE response today and updated the system to reflect this. Hopefully that means it will move along now. I know of some people who mailed them back weeks ago and their case status never updated. A girl can hope, right?

~~Albert Schweitzer

8lrSm4.png
Meg and Alan

Nick I am one of the unlucky ones who is going to have to find a civil surgeon once I get to the US because I believed the nurse at Knightsbridge. I know you linked me to a thread that gave the number for Dr Arnold in Austin, TX (where I will be living) I called the office but the number isn't in service any more & a quick google search told me but he is now retired blush.gif

Do you or anyone else know of another CS in the Austin area or one like Dr Arnold who will fax papers back to you for a minimal cost?

Wasn't me who linked you to Dr. Arnold because he has been out of business for several years. That was a bit of a racket and I think USCIS may have cracked down on him for signing papers without face to face meeting. It all kinda blew up and the Dr. Arnold info is obsolete. You will have to call all the civil surgeons within your area and ask prices. When they say you MUST get a full exam, don't believe them either. Hang up and call the next.

Other bad news is by the time you see a CS, it will be flu season so you will need that too since your new immunization form will be filled out during flu season. Here's a thread where people told of reasonably priced doctors, but you will have to read the whole thread looking for Austin.

.http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/231026-civil-surgeons-who-dont-rip-you-off/

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

Thank you so much. Wow I never knew about Dr Arnold! Shocking blush.gif I was actually going to get my flu shot here before I left, if I have a record of it from my GP as I do with my DTAP & MMR2 which I had last week thanks to the Knightsbridge nurse (!) Will that be sufficient?

Thank you so much. Wow I never knew about Dr Arnold! Shocking blush.gif I was actually going to get my flu shot here before I left, if I have a record of it from my GP as I do with my DTAP & MMR2 which I had last week thanks to the Knightsbridge nurse (!) Will that be sufficient?

Yes, take all shot records you have, even if it's from Boots. The civil surgeon will compile it on one form. So was it the Tdap you didnt have marked at all on your sheet? None? Or one more than 10 years ago?

Edit: Have you even been to the interview? Why don't you get an amended DS-3025 sealed by Knightsbridge sent to you to take to the interview unopened. or get Knightsbridge to send it by courier to the embassy with a note saying its a replacement for one already sent.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

10-05-08 Married

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

No RFEs

Timeline

Yes, take all shot records you have, even if it's from Boots. The civil surgeon will compile it on one form. So was it the Tdap you didnt have marked at all on your sheet? None? Or one more than 10 years ago?

Edit: Have you even been to the interview? Why don't you get an amended DS-3025 sealed by Knightsbridge sent to you to take to the interview unopened. or get Knightsbridge to send it by courier to the embassy with a note saying its a replacement for one already sent.

Yes it was Dtap from over a decade ago which wasn't sufficient. Have had it again now & have it recorded by my GP. Haven't had my interview yet no. When I phoned Knightsbridge after finding out my DS-3025 was useless, they were really unhelpful & said it was too late to do anything as my form had been sent off & requesting it back would be extremely time consuming & would prolong my interview date even further. I had no idea that I could get them to amend it & send me a new form?? They really were not willing to help me in any way or take responsibility for their ill advice, but I will try phone them tomorrow if you think it's worth a shot? Have people done this before? I know some people have delayed them sending the form to the embassy while they went back to their GP & got the shots but that's too late for me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.