furble

What did you put for No Last name?

25 posts in this topic

My wife doesn't have a Surname. It' pretty normal here (and in other countries too) depending what villiage you come from. She is originally from a very small villiage that qualifies as something you might see on nationl geographic, although you'd never know by looking at her today :)

We also did not and are not going to bother legally changing her name to have my last name in Indonesia. Not worth the effort. Can do later in the U.S. some day after naturalization much easier.

Question is, how do you record this in the fields that refer to her surname on the I-130 and G-325A? Just put "N/A", or "Unknown", or "No Surname". These seem like the best possibilities. What did you do on your forms if this situation applied to you?

My wife doesn't have a Surname. It' pretty normal here (and in other countries too) depending what villiage you come from. She is originally from a very small villiage that qualifies as something you might see on nationl geographic, although you'd never know by looking at her today :)

We also did not and are not going to bother legally changing her name to have my last name in Indonesia. Not worth the effort. Can do later in the U.S. some day after naturalization much easier.

Question is, how do you record this in the fields that refer to her surname on the I-130 and G-325A? Just put "N/A", or "Unknown", or "No Surname". These seem like the best possibilities. What did you do on your forms if this situation applied to you?

Use 'None' (without quotes).

Filed: Timeline

My husband is from a small village in Egypt and as you may know Egyptian males are given the names of the last preceding males. The first name is given, the second name is the first name of the father, the third name is the first name of the grandfather and the last name is the first name of the great grandfather. Coincidentally, there is NO family name. My attorney friend advised me to "Americanize" his name. I listed his first name as his given name, his 2nd and 3rd names as his middle names and his last name as his family name. On the G-325 and the DS-230 the family names are not the same for his mother and father. I didn't have any problems or RFEs.

My husband is from a small village in Egypt and as you may know Egyptian males are given the names of the last preceding males. The first name is given, the second name is the first name of the father, the third name is the first name of the grandfather and the last name is the first name of the great grandfather. Coincidentally, there is NO family name. My attorney friend advised me to "Americanize" his name. I listed his first name as his given name, his 2nd and 3rd names as his middle names and his last name as his family name. On the G-325 and the DS-230 the family names are not the same for his mother and father. I didn't have any problems or RFEs.

Well I guess we could do that if she had extra names. Nope just one name, 4 letters long. I do find it strange how the computers have taken over our lives so much as that essentially people in America have to have a first and last name simply because the computer requires it. Why is the computer dictating what we name our childeren? Sorry I digress.

My husband is from a small village in Egypt and as you may know Egyptian males are given the names of the last preceding males. The first name is given, the second name is the first name of the father, the third name is the first name of the grandfather and the last name is the first name of the great grandfather. Coincidentally,(Consequently-sorry for the typo.) there is NO family name. My attorney friend advised me to "Americanize" his name. I listed his first name as his given name, his 2nd and 3rd names as his middle names and his last name as his family name. On the G-325 and the DS-230 the family names are not the same for his mother and father. I didn't have any problems or RFEs.

Furble, as suggested by Gosia & Tito, write none for the surname...but I'd also explain in the cover letter why this is the case (the norm in your wife's culture). Plus, this will be visible hence confirmed in docs you send(i.e. her first name only on the copy of the marriage certificate, since at the initial stage her birth certificate/record is not requested). Such cases are not new to immigration officials, so no worries. Best of luck to you both!

-Liz

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Using "-----" may avoid the chance that the last name will be literally read as None.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Using "-----" may avoid the chance that the last name will be literally read as None.

OP, I would also suggest putting dashes (------) in that section.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

OP, I would also suggest putting dashes (------) in that section.

Thanks for all the advice, and lol the movie idiocracy springs to mind if any of you have ever seen it where the guy's name gets permanently barcoded onto his arm as the name "Not Sure"

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Use 'None' (without quotes).

None is actually a name in more than one language. For family name enter ---- and then for middle name, do the same. The people dealing with the petition will understand that this is common in Indonesia. If they don't, somebody sitting near them will.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I think (NONE) will be the best thing to write, as ---- may be seen as not completing the application properly and later resulting in a RFE (request for further information). For example, the instructions indicate to write NONE if the beneficiary or petitioner has never used another name then the one being used to file. Again, the cover letter and copy of the marriage certificate will further point to the fact that your wife doesn't have a surname, and not that NONE is it. So I'd use parenthesis as a double safeguard,as not to be mistaken as her surname.

Edited by Liz09

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I think (NONE) will be the best thing to write, as ---- may be seen as not completing the application properly and later resulting in a RFE (request for further information). For example, the instructions indicate to write NONE if the beneficiary or petitioner has never used another name then the one being used to file. Again, the cover letter and copy of the marriage certificate will point to the fact that your wife doesn't have a surname and not that NONE is it. So use parenthesis as a double safeguard.

---- is a tried and true method of dealing with this issue. This is not my first rodeo. None actually is a name in more than one language and using it as a name has resulted in NVC mailing requests to Maria None Gonzalez. Never heard of any mail sent to Maria ---- Gonzalez. Really, yes, believe me. OK?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I think (NONE) will be the best thing to write, as ---- may be seen as not completing the application properly and later resulting in a RFE (request for further information). Because the person(s) looking at the application will not know if a)she doesn't have a surname b)she does, but it is unknown (which happens) c)a typing mistake made by the petitioner thinking he/she was filling in another section...and so on.

Furthermore, the instructions indicate to write NONE if the beneficiary or petitioner has never used another name then the one being used to file, so it's unlikely they'll think it's referring to a surname. But again as a "just in case", explain this situation in the cover letter which will be validated by the copy of the marriage certificate and further evidence that your wife doesn't have a surname, and not that NONE is it. So I'd use ALL CAPS and parenthesis as a double safeguard to avoid 'none' being mistaken as her surname.

pushbrk, I was editing my post as you were replying. The application is not the only paperwork that's look at. I am not saying that documents don't get separated, but having a cover letter explaining this and the copy of the marriage license, plus (NONE) written on the application makes it highly unlikely they'll be any issues later on. You're right Maria ---- Gonzalez wouldn't get addressed like this, but nor would mail go out like this either: Maria (NONE) Gonzalez. Anyways, the OP can always contact any of the processing offices and see what they'd suggest.

Edited by Liz09

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.