Bill Tilman

Was This A Costly Mistake? Not Even ! Year Yet!

66 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi people, I'm new here. I brought my fiance to USA on a K-1 and we were married almost a year ago. But now....its falling apart day by day. She hates america, hates the unfriendly people, the boring food, the expense, the taxes, the cities, the countryside, and half the time wants to go home. We've had five monster, breaking #### fites, since june. Shes embarrassed about our age difference. Our "pre-nup" has been a constant thorn in her side. (Thank god I did one!) Our once amazing sex life has petered out (pun). A few months ago I payed for her $1000 adjustment of status green card deal and we're still awaiting our interview. Yet I know we'll never see it. She already has her SS card and Employment authorization card, and is working at a club as a bartender and receiving LOTS of attention due to her exotic looks. My question is; When she does leave me for a hot young buck, if we havent had our "what color are the drapes?" "are we really married" status adjustment interview, is she only allowed to stay in USA because we're married? If we divorce before then would she be kicked out? Or not really. If I wanted her to be sent home could I tell INS or whoever about her status/ our divorce? If/when, she does leave I'll probably want to if possible. I'll never do this again. Its too much hassel, no matter how hot she is. Advice?

Sorry to hear that It doesn't work out for you. It sounds to me like you didn't really get to know each other before you married.

Marriage is about compromise if she loves you enough, then she would put up with the new country and environment because she wants to be with you.

But well, back to the question. If it is falling apart. She came on a K-1 fiancé visa and got married. It means that she got a conditional green card valid for two years.

After two years, she must apply for unconditional green card and she can only do that if she stays married to you and prove that the marriage is bona fide.

Otherwise, her green card will not be renewed and she has to leave the country.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from K1 to Effects of Major Changes... forum *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

As she married within 90 days she could seek to adjust on her own.

One is inclined to think that you got what you wanted and she got what she wanted.

Wait for her to get into a I want to go home rant, take her to the Airport and buy her a one way ticket?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Withdraw our application and support notify uscis, go to interview and tell them the story. Sorry to hear this.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

So she hasn't been granted AOS yet? You can just withdraw the application and your I-864. I don't think she can stay at all without completing AOS. If she wants to go home anyway, seems like offering a one-way ticket back would be best for everyone.

Hi people, I'm new here. I brought my fiance to USA on a K-1 and we were married almost a year ago. But now....its falling apart day by day. She hates america, hates the unfriendly people, the boring food, the expense, the taxes, the cities, the countryside, and half the time wants to go home. We've had five monster, breaking #### fites, since june. Shes embarrassed about our age difference. Our "pre-nup" has been a constant thorn in her side. (Thank god I did one!) Our once amazing sex life has petered out (pun). A few months ago I payed for her $1000 adjustment of status green card deal and we're still awaiting our interview. Yet I know we'll never see it. She already has her SS card and Employment authorization card, and is working at a club as a bartender and receiving LOTS of attention due to her exotic looks. My question is; When she does leave me for a hot young buck, if we havent had our "what color are the drapes?" "are we really married" status adjustment interview, is she only allowed to stay in USA because we're married? If we divorce before then would she be kicked out? Or not really. If I wanted her to be sent home could I tell INS or whoever about her status/ our divorce? If/when, she does leave I'll probably want to if possible. I'll never do this again. Its too much hassel, no matter how hot she is. Advice?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Sorry to hear that. I hope you both can work thing out though.

From what you wrote, I can see the woman who has a hard time to adjust herself into a new environment. Have you tried to ease her life? Have you tried to help to get her through all those situations?

She signed the Pre-nup which meant she accepted whatever conditions you wanted, it means exceptional sincerity from her side since Pre-nup is not common for Thai people.

She is now working and getting lots of attention, it is not her fault though. The thing is, has she had any signs that she will cheat on you? If not, why worry that she will leave you to a younger man?

If your marriage base on love to each other, I think this situation can be sorted out. I don't know from her side, but I would like to ask if you married her because of love? If so, my advice is you two should sit and talk. Find out the way to help her feel better about her uncomfortable life and tell her how you feel when she gets lots of attention from other mans and give her a chance to tell you what exactly she feels about that.

Naturalization

04/22/15 (Day 0) N-400 Package sent

08/03/15 Interview - Recommend for Approval

08/18/15 Oath Ceremony

ROC

12/17/2013 (Day 0) ROC Package sent

12/23/2013 (Day 7) NOA date

01/27/14 (Day 43) Biometric Appointment

03/14/14 Case transferred to CSC

05/16/14 New Card Received

AOS from B2
11/14/2011 (Day 0) AOS Package sent (I-130, I-485, I-765)
11/15/2011 (Day 1) Package received by USCIS

12/12/2011 Biometrics Appointment
01/28/2012 (Day 74) EAD Card in hands
02/02/2012 (Day 79) Received letter of Interview Notice
03/02/2012 (Day 108) Interview - Dallas
03/21/2012 (Day 127) Green Card in Hands!

Timeline

boy now im confused. i guess at her club shes talked to lawyer custys who said no worrys, ite easy. some days she wants to go home, some she just wants to be here and revel in her hottness and popularity.

yes theres tons of evidence she'll cheat, like nitely propositions. she tells me about them all.

no she hasnt adjusted her status yet. we're out of state and haven't been contacted at home for our interview.

yes i married her for love, and so did she originally. i've known her her whole life!

but i still dont understand. if a K-1 divorces before adjusting status for permenant residency, does she get sent home? like really, or just possibly? does she actually HAVE to stay in the marriage in order to stay? i dont want her to go home, or leave me for another, BUT if she does, after all i've done, i won't die quietly. i dunno what to do, and shes at the club and im sitting here worrying as usual.

Timeline

well, here's yer loophole.

You've filed for AOS, but it's not been granted yet.

A piece of that was the I-864, the affadavit of support.

If you withdraw the affadavit of support before her case is adjudicated, then she can't adjust status. She'll be in country, without any legal immigration status. You withdraw via postal letter to both the 1.. local USCIS office in yer jurisdiction 2..national USCIS office. It's a simple thing, really, this one page letter.

Along the way, divorce her .. Give her a one way ticket back the day after the divorce is finalized, and call it a day.

Now, I'm prolly gonna get lost in some VJ noise, so come back to my post in a few days, and reread it.

give me more details about how to do this in case i need to. poop, i dont wanta do that but....and i have no idea when the poop will hit the fan. i dont wanta do it prematurely in case we work it all out. i thought i filed the I-864 long ago for her k-1? heck, she supports us both with all the dough she makes.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

they never get 'sent home' by DHS/HomelandSecurity/USCIS unless

they have been pegged to be deported, the result of a deportation hearing, which is the result of being caught in a sweep or personally picked up.

You not have any documented marriage fraud yet - I refer you back to my prior post.

give me more details about how to do this in case i need to. poop, i dont wanta do that but....and i have no idea when the poop will hit the fan. i dont wanta do it prematurely in case we work it all out. i thought i filed the I-864 long ago for her k-1? heck, she supports us both with all the dough she makes.

Most likely you filed an I-134 for the K-1 visa, back at the US Embassy, IV unit.

Don't confuse the 2, aye? The I-134 is not legally binding, the I-864 is.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Read Darnell's words - that's the simple way.

When(if) she gets her 2 year conditional greencard it is possible for her to stay in the country even if you divorce. She'll have to file a waiver and remove conditions on her own and prove that the marriage was entered in good faith/bona fide. But without your support(the affidavit) she can't adjust in the first place.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She can seek to adjust status on her own.

Nobody is coming looking for her, well not from Immigration anyway.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Its too much hassel [sic], no matter how hot she is.

bill tilman, this statement is pretty awful. im embarrassed for you for having typed it.

you have to decide if you want to continue with AOS or not. revoke the affidavit of support (i-864) if no.

once she adjusts status, she will essentially be free of the obligation to be married to you in order to legally be in the US.

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

16 jul 11 : i-751 sent to VSC (fedex)

18 jul 11 : fedex confirmed delivery; NOA1 generated

20 jul 11 : NOA1 notice rec'd; check cashed; touch

26 jul 11 : NOA2 generated

28 jul 11 : NOA2 biometrics appt letter rec'd

29 jul 11 : letter req biometrics appt rescheduling sent

09 aug 11 : biometrics appt (could not attend); NOA3 generated

11 aug 11 : NOA3 (rescheduled) biometrics appt letter rec'd

24 aug 11 : biometrics appt

14 oct 11 : conditional green card expiry date

16 nov 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR online

18 nov 11 : mailed i-865 for USC

22 nov 11 : moved house; NOA4 change of address for USC rec'd

13 dec 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR by phone

29 dec 11 : filed hardcopy AR-11 for LPR by mail

18 jan 12 : 6 month mark ROC

05 apr 12 : approval letter rec'd

16 jul 12 : n-400 filing window opens

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

She can seek to adjust status on her own.

Nobody is coming looking for her, well not from Immigration anyway.

How? VAWA? There's no abuse. There's no other way.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.