aaaaaaa

K-1 Fiance Visa Questions in Advance

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello, first post :yes: I'm actually not engaged yet, but I've been talking about it and wanted to ask a few questions so that I'm ready when I need to do all of this stuff. I also met her online, and I noticed a lot of people here have, which I'm sure will help with my questions!

1) We've known each other for a while, but we still haven't met. The whole plan is for her to come here in April and spend around 90 days here on the wavier program while meeting my friends and family. The goal is for us to be together as soon as possible, which is why we are thinking about this earlier than I would normally like. However, I know it's the right choice. Basically, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to go ahead and send the application in shortly after we are together so that we'll get the process underway. I'm a little worried just because I've heard it can take 10 months.

2) I'm not worried about proving our meeting, because we'll have plane tickets, her visa stamp and photos. However, I'm wondering what would be good to keep track of in order to show at the interview. One problem I was wondering about is that all of our communication is in Japanese. We already have thousands of emails, so would it be best to just print out a list in which you can see dates? Choose a few random emails and translate them? Other than photos, I'm not sure what else would be good to show. Letters from my family? We could also ask her family when I go visit. Any ideas?

3) I also know that I wouldn't be able to pass the requirements for supporting her. I'll be working again when I come home, but I'll have taken at least 6 months off. Can my parents sign her just to avoid problems?

4) At the visa interview will they ask were we met? For people who have met online, is that what you told them? I guess most people here didn't have any problems, so I probably shouldn't be worried, but...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

1) We've known each other for a while, but we still haven't met. The whole plan is for her to come here in April and spend around 90 days here on the wavier program while meeting my friends and family. The goal is for us to be together as soon as possible, which is why we are thinking about this earlier than I would normally like. However, I know it's the right choice. Basically, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to go ahead and send the application in shortly after we are together so that we'll get the process underway. I'm a little worried just because I've heard it can take 10 months.

US is lenient to Japanese, so you will be good I suppose. The length of K-1 process will depend on your timing, documentation and your quickness to satisfied needed requirements. PI K-1 visa can be received as short as 5mos, not sure about Japan.

2) I'm not worried about proving our meeting, because we'll have plane tickets, her visa stamp and photos. However, I'm wondering what would be good to keep track of in order to show at the interview. One problem I was wondering about is that all of our communication is in Japanese. We already have thousands of emails, so would it be best to just print out a list in which you can see dates? Choose a few random emails and translate them? Other than photos, I'm not sure what else would be good to show. Letters from my family? We could also ask her family when I go visit. Any ideas?

The application is for you to prove that you too have met in person so you have to show evidences that litterally placed you together on the same area at the same time. Passport photocopy, dated pictures, credit card statement, on the interview you have to show waht you sent in the application but this time include ongoing relationship evidences so add telephone bills, screenshots, email, mail. Trend varies from country to country so I suggest go to a Japanese forum so it's Japan specific.

3) I also know that I wouldn't be able to pass the requirements for supporting her. I'll be working again when I come home, but I'll have taken at least 6 months off. Can my parents sign her just to avoid problems?

Check Japanese forum. For PI they're strict and deny co-sponsorship for the most part.

4) At the visa interview will they ask were we met? For people who have met online, is that what you told them? I guess most people here didn't have any problems, so I probably shouldn't be worried, but...

Yes she may be asked. You're right, it's nothing to worry about.

Happy New Year!

US is lenient to Japanese, so you will be good I suppose. The length of K-1 process will depend on your timing, documentation and your quickness to satisfied needed requirements. PI K-1 visa can be received as short as 5mos, not sure about Japan.

The application is for you to prove that you too have met in person so you have to show evidences that litterally placed you together on the same area at the same time. Passport photocopy, dated pictures, credit card statement, on the interview you have to show waht you sent in the application but this time include ongoing relationship evidences so add telephone bills, screenshots, email, mail. Trend varies from country to country so I suggest go to a Japanese forum so it's Japan specific.

Check Japanese forum. For PI they're strict and deny co-sponsorship for the most part.

Yes she may be asked. You're right, it's nothing to worry about.

I posted the link to this in the Japanese thread hoping some people who know about that process well can help me out a bit.

Credit card statement showing time that we were together? Food, movies, gifts and other activities? We don't use the phone since it's so expensive. Like I said, we have thousands of emails already. I'm not sure if it would be okay to just print off a list so they can see that we email daily, or a few emails that we'd be willing to share and translate. Of course, it wouldn't really be possible to translate thousands of emails into English.

Hopefully we can do co-sponsorship. I don't really want to have to work for a year just to get my taxes and prove that I'm not a bum. I can show my bank account, but while I have some money, I doubt it's enough to prove I'd be able to support her.

Also translate important documents that's not in English.

I'm guessing I'll have to spend a few days while in Japan doing this for her records.

Timeline

Credit card statement showing time that we were together? Food, movies, gifts and other activities? We don't use the phone since it's so expensive. Like I said, we have thousands of emails already. I'm not sure if it would be okay to just print off a list so they can see that we email daily, or a few emails that we'd be willing to share and translate. Of course, it wouldn't really be possible to translate thousands of emails into English.

Hopefully we can do co-sponsorship. I don't really want to have to work for a year just to get my taxes and prove that I'm not a bum. I can show my bank account, but while I have some money, I doubt it's enough to prove I'd be able to support her.

I'm guessing I'll have to spend a few days while in Japan doing this for her records.

Show her credit card transactions in the US, show yours too in Japan.

You just have to pick few emails. You don't have to send them all. Maybe 1 of each month or quarter?

So she will visit you in the US and you will visit her in Japan? That's excellent. Your passports ,tickets and boarding passes will be your irrefutable evidences. Those are primary evidences that cannot be altered, picture and other stuff are secondary.

Also try to set the date on your digicam when taking pictures with her. Show happy faces, emphasize the landmark, include other people specially your family and hers and check if they appear happy too. You just need few (maybe 6-10) on the application, save the rest on her interview.

Edited by teapotgurl1983

Happy New Year!

Timeline

Translation is needed for her birth cert, divorce paper if applicable, police report if she lived outside Japan since the age of 16. and other official documents that will be required by USEM Japan.

Kinda tough, even their keyboard is still in hiragana or katakana.

But this is for her interview. not on the initial application.

Edited by teapotgurl1983

Happy New Year!

Show her credit card transactions in the US, show yours too in Japan.

You just have to pick few emails. You don't have to send them all. Maybe 1 of each month or quarter?

So she will visit you in the US and you will visit her in Japan? That's excellent. Your passports ,ticket and boarding passes will be your irrefutable evidences. Those are primary evidence that cannot be altered, picture and other stuff are secondary.

Actually, like a lot of Japanese, she doesn't have a credit card. My credit card has fees outside of America, so I planed on using cash. I think we'll have no problem showing that we met within two years, but I wonder just how much I should have her bring to show that our relationship is real. Although, now I am mostly worried about the sponsorship. I'll be taking almost all of next year off just to make this all possible.

Translation is needed for her birth cert, divorce paper if applicable, police report if she lived outside Japan since the age of 16. and other official documents that will be required by USEM Japan.

Kinda tough, even their keyboard is still in hiragana or katakana.

But this is for her interview. not on the initial application.

I'll bring my laptop :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.