Jason123xy

Brought fiance. And things didn't work out. She won't leave

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

I am no lawyer but I watch cops on TV :D . In most states you can't change the locks or not let her back in. Once she brings her belongings in and stays one night (check your local laws)... she is there. This is why I said you have to move out. Leave her with the house. If you plan on staying there, I wouldn't. I think you can get her out in 3 days if you have no lease... but you need to start proceedings immediately with a real estate lawyer... which is way cheaper than a criminal lawyer.

Not true. In most states, the simple act of beginning to move means you have abandoned the residence (I know cause I had a hell of a time getting my stuff back). You can change the locks and any pin numbers or passwords for accounts. Be very careful about filing a change of address for her. You do not have a power of attorney you can not file such a form on her behalf. You can mark her mail as not at this address (don't throw it away and for goodness sack don't open it as these are federal offenses).

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi there,

This is probably not a typical post.. but here it goes..

I applied for a fiance visa. After 8 months it's approved and I brought my fiance here. We had major issues shortly before arriving and I don't want to get married. What do I do now? She won't go back home. I bought her ticket, I made a change to the date as she asked, and still.. she's not leaving. Her visa expired in 3 weeks. What are my obligations? do I need to inform the immigration of the status? Please help????

stay illegal for ever or she will eventually leave if she needs to file a new petition. desperation kicks in for her..

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

There are some issues here:

1) she needs to report her new address to USCIS. This is required and mandatory.

2) if she is not marrying you, she cannot stay. No matter what she thinks. She can stay, find someone else to marry and go throug hthe process. but it will be one drawn out process.

3) stop buying her tickets to go home. Something sounds fishy here. She may be cancelling the tickets and getting the money refunded to her "based on some emergency" situation. she is using the "buy another ticket" to go home to get money as she needs it.

4) Contact an immgration attorney on your situation. Make sure you are covered. this is a situation which can get very ugly once her visa expires. Also, if she has not yet rpeorted her new address, she is currently in violation of USCIS codes.

I feel sorry for you. I know this is a bad situation. Nothing could be worse. I hope things do get better. Every now and then, something happens. Sometimes it is hard to know. You try your best to verify before the trip to the USA. But sometimes you just don't see things until it is too late. Believe me, I am in the last stages of my journey of bringing my girl to the states. Right now I am really watching things big time. This is a major step and I am trying to watch the family big time right now.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: Timeline

Your fiance has not commited an overstay, so at this point there really is nothing that you can do. Being that you did not / will not be marrying her, the affadavit of supoort you filed is not enforceable and basically it's on her to leave the country voluntarilly. Contacting immigration is not an option at this point - she has done nothing illegal to this point.

One note of caution... If she is still living in your home be VERY careful. All it takes is a call to the police that you committed an act of domestic violence and you can have a world of trouble. I'd recommend having her stay someplace else, preferably a hotel. Staying together in the same residence can cause you problems that you never imagined...

Good luck.

She has no path to VAWA as she needs to be married to the OP in order to have that option. Maybe someone would do it out of spite...but she couldn't theoretically legally stay to see it go to trial.

Not true. In most states, the simple act of beginning to move means you have abandoned the residence (I know cause I had a hell of a time getting my stuff back). You can change the locks and any pin numbers or passwords for accounts. Be very careful about filing a change of address for her. You do not have a power of attorney you can not file such a form on her behalf. You can mark her mail as not at this address (don't throw it away and for goodness sack don't open it as these are federal offenses).

Yep. Plus, if she wasn't on the lease or the deed, and did infact leave, then she was nothing more than a visitor and has no claim to the property.

OP, contact USCIS that you will not be pursuing marriage with your beneficiary, and then just move on. You got lucky - she left your house. The rest is up to her and doesn't have anything to do with you. She may stay illegal, she may go home....either way, no skin off your nose.

She can't get petitioned based on VAWA, but we also don't want the OP arrested on false charges...so yeah, change your locks, don't contact her unless you're with other people (NOT HER friends).

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

; Eventhough it didn't work out between the two of you, you offered her help to get her back home. But I guess the US is more important to her than going back to the country where she has lived all her life :pop: .

Like I said, you offered her help, she didn't accept the plane ticket ticket home and from now on, she can clean up her own mess. If her I-94 expires, she'll be here illegally and trust me, looking over your shoulder scared being caught is not a nice way of living, but that is what she has choosen :whistle:

Best thing is to do is for her to deal with the consequences and try to move on.

Good luck! :thumbs:

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I am no lawyer but I watch cops on TV :D . In most states you can't change the locks or not let her back in. Once she brings her belongings in and stays one night (check your local laws)... she is there. This is why I said you have to move out. Leave her with the house. If you plan on staying there, I wouldn't. I think you can get her out in 3 days if you have no lease... but you need to start proceedings immediately with a real estate lawyer... which is way cheaper than a criminal lawyer.

I would check the laws on this. I have been told by police in CO that this law is kind of an urban myth. There are alot of components to it. In another state, my ex broke into my house and I could not press charges because a few months ago I let him crash there for a few days. I don't think I would move out unless there is reason to move out. She is in another state. Consult a lawyer. Perhaps the eviction is a good "cya" move. I have read in other posts outside this thread that once her I94 exp you can call immigration and she will be deported if found.

7/15/11 Sent K1 Petition to Lockbox

8/10/11 STILL NO NOA1!

8/12/11 Called USCIS to get receipt number-NOA1 will be resent

8/16/11 Received NOA1 with date of 7/20/11

1/3/12 NOA2!!!

1/12/12 Got email notice we are through the NVC.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

She has no path to VAWA as she needs to be married to the OP in order to have that option. Maybe someone would do it out of spite...but she couldn't theoretically legally stay to see it go to trial.

http://www.womenslaw.org/laws_state_type.php?id=10270&state_code=US

She "may" not be eligible for VAWA if not married. I could swear when I was working at a DV shelter we helped a not-yet-married woman on a K visa use VAWA. I doubt if her goal is to stay here that the U visa is anything to worry about. I think in order to pursue that one the crime would have to be fairly big and then once prosecution is over she would be sent back home.

7/15/11 Sent K1 Petition to Lockbox

8/10/11 STILL NO NOA1!

8/12/11 Called USCIS to get receipt number-NOA1 will be resent

8/16/11 Received NOA1 with date of 7/20/11

1/3/12 NOA2!!!

1/12/12 Got email notice we are through the NVC.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She probably cashed in the earlier tickets and needs to repeat.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

She would have absolutely zero motive for doing this. She can't self-petition using VAWA because they were never married.

She could be lacking your immigration expertise. so she might think it's worth a shot.

Also don't forget that old "woman scorned" motive.

I would be leery of further contact.

I can't see buying any more tickets but my understanding is most tickets are not refundable so I don't know how she would

get money out of the tickets.

She "may" not be eligible for VAWA if not married. I could swear when I was working at a DV shelter we helped a not-yet-married woman on a K visa use VAWA. I doubt if her goal is to stay here that the U visa is anything to worry about. I think in order to pursue that one the crime would have to be fairly big and then once prosecution is over she would be sent back home.

From the first line of your link:

The special provisions that VAWA created under United States immigration law may help you obtain Lawful Permanent Residence. Under VAWA, battered non-citizens who are married to, or recently divorced from US Citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents can, in certain circumstances, self-petition (without the help or knowledge of their abusive spouse) to obtain Lawful Permanent Residence (certain children of USCs or LPRs and certain parents of USCs may be eligible as well)

Key words in red.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

A VAWA self-petitioner must have an "immediate relative" relationship with the abuser. This means spouse, child, or parent, with a special exception if the self-petitioner was divorced from the abuser within the previous two years and if the abuse was the primary reason for the divorce. A fiancee is not an immediate relative. Maybe the situation you remember at the DV shelter was a K3, or some other similar scenario.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.