Sofiyya

Different rules for Palestinians?

61 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I post almost exclusively on the P&R board. I was informed that it is a TOS violation for me, a Palestinian, to refer to Israel as a terrorist nation when debating the Arab-Israel conflict, but it is a daily occurrence that Palestinians and the governing bodies of the Gaza Strip and Wet Bank are called terrorists, and that is not seen to be a violation of the TOS. I would be suspended, but those who oppose me using the same terminology would not be, because we all know that Arabs are all terrorists, duh, so it's ok to call us that.

Now, of course, the perceptions are mostly a product of propaganda, but the historical fact, and I am a historian, is that Israel has former terrorists, some who killed pretty indiscriminately in their quest to form a nation, that said nation continuously occupies territory that was was set aside for the nation of Palestine despite UN resolutions, and that it has stood in the way of the creation of that nation for more than a generation.

So, my question is, is discussing historical fact a TOS violation for only the Palestinian side of the debate that is constantly called terrorists, or is the application of the TOS expected to be fair for all sides?

Thank you. If I'm suspended for calling Israel a terrorist nation while waiting for an answer, I'd appreciate an email response.

Timeline

A mod raised the issue the other day, calling it offensive to Israelis, although that has not been noted as a reason to stop the common occurrence of using the term when referring to Palestinians. I'm just trying to get the official position clarified here.

Informed by a site moderator? Or perhaps Admin himself?

Edited by Sofiyya

Filed: Timeline

It's not a double standard Sofiyya, so you can quit with the crocodile tears. It's quite simple, Hamas is a verfiable terrorist organization, recognized the world over as such. You referring to Israel as a terrorist state is your unqualified opinon, and the manner in which you are using it, you are provoking others.

Perhaps Sofiyya was referring to Israel in a historical context, which would be easily verifiable in a scholarly manner.

Timeline

It is verifiable in a current context as well as a past historical context. In fact, I verify it all the time. It is an acceptable a statement around the world as is the notion that Hamas is a terrorist organization.

I noticed that our recent discussion about Turkey and Israel and the Turkish delegation to Gaza shut up a lot of whinies. Since they know so little about Gaza and the West Bank, and Arab nations in general, they don't know how to handle criticism of a national mythology they've been soaked in since birth, and it hurts to find out that it's not all true.

I do understand that.

Perhaps Sofiyya was referring to Israel in a historical context, which would be easily verifiable in a scholarly manner.

Edited by Sofiyya

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

It is verifiable in a current context as well as a past historical context. In fact, I verify it all the time. It is an acceptable a statement around the world as is the notion that Hamas is a terrorist organization.

No you don't, stop lying Sofiyya. You give your opinion ad nauseam and try to pass it off as a fact. By the way, check out number 12 on this list.

Edited by Master Baiter

Timeline

So, what? That's politically expedient and demonstrably temporary. Britain listed the founders of Israel as terrorists at one time, too. Yasser Arafat won a Nobel Peace prize. Trying to use that to show me what's what only confirms my belief that you've never opened a history book and have no clue about politics. Don't be such a noob all the time, please.

Check out this NYT article from 1947.

IRGUN BOMB KILLS 11 ARABS, 2 BRITONS; Missile Thrown From a Taxi in Jerusalem -- Rift in the Jewish Agency Growing IRGUN BOMB KILLS 11 ARABS, 2 BRITONS

SIGN IN TO E-MAIL

PERMISSIONS

By SAM POPE BREWERSpecial to THE NEW YORK TIMES. ();

December 30, 1947,

JERUSALEM, Dec. 29 -- A bomb thrown by the Jewish terrorist organization Irgun Zvai Leumi from a speeding taxi today killed eleven Arabs and two British policemen and wounded at least thirty-two Arabs by the Jerusalem Damascus Gate, the same place where a similar bombing took place sixteen days ago. . .

No you don't, stop lying Sofiyya. You give your opinion ad nauseam and try to pass it off as a fact. By the way, check out number 12 on this list.

Edited by Sofiyya

Well it's nice to see a thread started on here from someone other than the usual suspects. :) This must have the VJ FB club riled for sure.

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

So, what? That's politically expedient and demonstrably temporary. Britain listed the founders of Israel as terrorists at one time, too. Yasser Arafat won a Nobel Peace prize. Trying to use that to show me what's what only confirms my belief that you've never opened a history book and have no clue about politics. Don't be such a noob all the time, please.

Check out this NYT article from 1947.

IRGUN BOMB KILLS 11 ARABS, 2 BRITONS; Missile Thrown From a Taxi in Jerusalem -- Rift in the Jewish Agency Growing IRGUN BOMB KILLS 11 ARABS, 2 BRITONS

SIGN IN TO E-MAIL

PERMISSIONS

By SAM POPE BREWERSpecial to THE NEW YORK TIMES. ();

December 30, 1947,

JERUSALEM, Dec. 29 -- A bomb thrown by the Jewish terrorist organization Irgun Zvai Leumi from a speeding taxi today killed eleven Arabs and two British policemen and wounded at least thirty-two Arabs by the Jerusalem Damascus Gate, the same place where a similar bombing took place sixteen days ago. . .

But of course you wouldn't ever bother to include the proper context when referring to that. Just look at your references to day. You only acknowledged that it was a 'historical' classification after someone called you out on your BS.

Well it's nice to see a thread started on here from someone other than the usual suspects. :) This must have the VJ FB club riled for sure.

You seem quite obsessed with people on facebook. You should try getting over it, or make your own group.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I post almost exclusively on the P&R board. I was informed that it is a TOS violation for me, a Palestinian, to refer to Israel as a terrorist nation when debating the Arab-Israel conflict, but it is a daily occurrence that Palestinians and the governing bodies of the Gaza Strip and Wet Bank are called terrorists, and that is not seen to be a violation of the TOS. I would be suspended, but those who oppose me using the same terminology would not be, because we all know that Arabs are all terrorists, duh, so it's ok to call us that.

Now, of course, the perceptions are mostly a product of propaganda, but the historical fact, and I am a historian, is that Israel has former terrorists, some who killed pretty indiscriminately in their quest to form a nation, that said nation continuously occupies territory that was was set aside for the nation of Palestine despite UN resolutions, and that it has stood in the way of the creation of that nation for more than a generation.

So, my question is, is discussing historical fact a TOS violation for only the Palestinian side of the debate that is constantly called terrorists, or is the application of the TOS expected to be fair for all sides?

Thank you. If I'm suspended for calling Israel a terrorist nation while waiting for an answer, I'd appreciate an email response.

OMG! :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

A mod raised the issue the other day, calling it offensive to Israelis, although that has not been noted as a reason to stop the common occurrence of using the term when referring to Palestinians. I'm just trying to get the official position clarified here.

I thought you were Morrocan. You changed your flag and you are not even Charles.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I thought you were Morrocan. You changed your flag and you are not even Charles.

You thought wrong :bonk: Don't make it a habit.

But of course you wouldn't ever bother to include the proper context when referring to that. Just look at your references to day. You only acknowledged that it was a 'historical' classification after someone called you out on your BS.

Not true. Israel is and has been a terrorist state. If you could read, posting to you would be more productive. That would be nice, but alas . . .

Edited by Sofiyya