PastryChef

Question for Canadians

60 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all. I have a question for the Canadian expats that read this forum.

The backstory is that I married a Canadian, and we are almost at the point in the immigration where she can move in with me(finally!). I had the idea that I'd make her a gift basket, and have it waiting for her when she first walks through the door of our place. I want to fill the basket with Canadian things that aren't available in the states, and put in a card containing some lovey-dovey "this is to help with homesickness" type of message.

So, my question to you is what sort of food/candy/gift/misc items do you miss that are available in Canada but not in the states? I've got a few basic ideas, but I'm sure there are a million things I'm forgetting about. So please, remind me! Tell me all about Canadian stuff you'd love to have!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Dad's Cookies (I don't think they're available in the States.) :yes:

Edit: Oh and Tim Hortons coffee if she likes that.

Edited by pocheros

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Tim Hortons hot chocolate

smarties, terrys chocolate orange, ketchup chips, real Montreal bagels.

British tv shows and BBC channel.

Also it varys by state, some states have a lot of the same stuff Canada has where as others have nothing.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Timeline

You can get many of these things from Amazon.com or Canadaonly.ca ....www.canadianfavourites.com/

I LOVE Kraft Peanut Butter, Ketchup chips, Aero Bars, Mirage Bars and Smarties chocolate. OH...and OH HENRY! lol And a Tragically Hip mix CD ;)

Poutine is of course VERY Canadian. Just make her this for dinner one night. Easy enough. Need beef gravy, cheese curds (mozerella type) and french fries. Look up the recipe online. easy enough.

You're SO sweet to want to do this for her. CHEERS!

Edited by tolsab

Shreddies, I'm going to miss those! Smarties, (the chocolate ones) Coffee Crisp, brown gravy for french fries, (throw in a can of poutine if you can find one!) Ask her parents what kind of Canadian beer she likes and see if you can get your hands on some. Maynards wine gums, red rose tea, or tetley, CARAMILK, everyone loves those! In fact, anything Cadbury! Ketchup flavoured chips, Miss Vickies if you can get it! Dill pickle chips, wow, there's a lot here that I'd like when I've been down there for a while, I'm going to make a list for Christmas!

Oh, yeah, she'll hate it, but try to stick some Buckleys in there..... gotta have the Buckleys when you get a cold, it tastes horrible, but she'll laugh after making a face!

Jan 21 2011 sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox - they lost it
Mar 22 2011 - Sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox second time
May 2 2011 - NOA1 at CSC
July 15 2011 - NOA2!!!
July 21 2011 - Hardcopy of NOA2 received in mail
Aug 9 2011 - Case forwarded to Montreal
Sep 7 2011 - Packet 4 sent from embassy
Oct 27 2011 - Interview
Nov 12 2011 - Intended POE VISA delayed due to typo on son's name at the consulate
Nov 22 2011 - Picked up Visa
Nov 26 2011 - New intended POE date
Dec 10 2011 - Wedding

Jan 12 2012 - Sent AOS package
Feb 1 2012 - They send rejection notice, they lost a signature page
Feb 4 2012 - Resent package
Feb 14 2012 - NOA2
Feb 22 2012 - NOA3
March 21 2012 - Biometrics
March 30 2012 - NOA4
May 16 2012 - Interview date

April 2014 - application for I751 Removal of Conditions
May 7 2014 - NOA for notice of receipt and extension letter received
May 8 2014- Verification of inclusion of a dependent letter received
Not dated but in May - letter requesting interview received
July 10 2014 - ASC appointment notice for biometrics received

July 24 2014 Biometrics appointment

Jan 22 2015 - USCIS call

March 18 2015 - USCIS call

April 2 2015 - USCIS call

May 14 2015 - Infopass appt

July 21 2015 - infopass appt

Sept 18 2015 - infopass appt
Feb 25 2016 - USCIS call
Feb 25 2016 - Ombudsman request form sent

Filed: Timeline

Oh yeah...Buckley's YES! And Neocitrin!

Shreddies, I'm going to miss those! Smarties, (the chocolate ones) Coffee Crisp, brown gravy for french fries, (throw in a can of poutine if you can find one!) Ask her parents what kind of Canadian beer she likes and see if you can get your hands on some. Maynards wine gums, red rose tea, or tetley, CARAMILK, everyone loves those! In fact, anything Cadbury! Ketchup flavoured chips, Miss Vickies if you can get it! Dill pickle chips, wow, there's a lot here that I'd like when I've been down there for a while, I'm going to make a list for Christmas!

Oh, yeah, she'll hate it, but try to stick some Buckleys in there..... gotta have the Buckleys when you get a cold, it tastes horrible, but she'll laugh after making a face!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Buckleys tastes terrible but it works,lol Some Rite Aids in the USA carry out! Some Wegmans grocery stores carry Tim Hortons ground coffee

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

What a sweet idea...gold star for you!! Here are some of the things that I try to bring back with me when I visit Canada. A lot of it will depend on what your wife likes...I am a bit of a candyaholic so a lot of mine is based on the 'comfort' foods. And like Inky said it depends on the area you will be moving to what may or may not be available

Ketchup Chips (I am partial to Lays)

Smarties (unlike the american smarties these are candy covered chocolate similar to M&M's)

Mars Bars

Any form of Cadbury chocolate (The Cadbury chocolate you get here is not the same)

Swedish Berries

Wine Gums

Glossette Raisins or peanuts

Shreddies Cereal

Kraft Dinner (it is called Mac and Cheese here but they taste quite different)

Heinz Ketchup (again same name but very different taste)

Licorice Allsorts

Peek Freans Lifestyle cookies ( I like the blueberry, brown sugar and flax)

Ive noticed that they do not carry the vachon brand of snack cakes down here. So no Ah! Caramel's for me :(

Coffe crisp is definitely one Ill miss, as well as caramilk... um... peach drink mix I cant find anywhere..

I think its sweet that you are doing this for her :D

Our Visa Journey:

06/18/2010 - Submitted I-130 pkg and cheque - Denied, missing information
07/07/2010 - Re-submitted pkg - Denied, same information incorrect or missing - pulling our hair out!
08/30/2010 - Re-submitted pkg AGAIN! this time tried a new answer on two questions.
09/03/2010 - received pkg
09/08/2010 - NOA-1 sent
09/13/2010 - Touched
12/13/2010 - NOA-2 Issued.
12/19/2010 - NOA-2 Hard Copy Received!
01/04/2011 - Received AOS Bill
02/01/2011 - Paid AOS Bill
02/23/2011 - Received IV Bill
03/29/2011 - Paid IV Bill
03/30/2011 - Mailed IV Packet
04/01/2011 - Mailed AoS Packet
04/21/2011 - RFE
04/29/2011 - Evidence Mailed in
05/06/2011 - Case Complete!
05/13/2011 - Received Email with Interview Date!
06/27/2011 - Interview! - APPROVED!!!
07/08/2011 - Visa in hand.
07/12/2011 - POE Niagara Falls, NY Rainbow Bridge. Less than 30 minutes!

Our RoC Journey:

06/21/2013 - Mailed in RoC package

06/24/2013 - Package arrived at VSC

06/25/2013 - NOA was sent out

07/31/2013 - Biometrics Appointment

08/19/2013 - Notice of Transfer to CSC

08/26/2013 - Touched. (probably when it was received by CSC I would assume)

10/02/2013 - RoC Approved

10/07/2013 - Received Approval Notice

Timeline

I miss Cherry Blossoms :crying: and Humpty Dumpty Ketchup Chips, I'm French Canadian and I also missed my Vachons Cakes, Ah Caramels :dance::dance: I'll have those shipped in once in a while and I share them with my Southern coworkers and they all love them.

Maybe I should consider an import-export business :ot2:

event.png

Timeline

There are subtle things that she won't realize she misses....I think your idea is wonderful and sweet. A loving note can go along way - telling her that you know it will be different and you know she'll be homesick.

I won't recommend anything in particular, but take note of what she likes back in Canada and see if you can pick it up when you're up there next - Canadaonly website (IMO)is a rip off unless you're desparate - the prices are high and the shipping is ridiculous :(

Read the threads where we talk about homesickness in the Cdn forum and be ready to comfort her when she tells you she hates the US - it will happen eventually and you can't take it personally. Regular visits back home are the best remedy we know of....you get to a breaking point sometimes and then you know it's time for a visit back home. Keeping busy here also helps a person feel useful and happy.

Food wise - it's subtle, things just don;t taste the same despite being the same brand supposedly.

Good luck and be patient! You're ahead of the game if you already are planning to help her adjust.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you all so much for the ideas, and the feedback! It is immensely helpful to me. Also for the pointers that some of the things can be bought here in the states. That is going to save me a lot on shipping.

I've found a few of the things you mentioned in stores around here. For some reason the thai section of the international aisle of my local grocer has aero bars and smarties. A lot of the other stuff I will probably be forced to order online, but it's all good. She is worth it!

See if her parents are willing to purchase and send along the items you can't get locally. If they can, tell them to get it at a neighbourhood grocery store, not sure where she's from, but she'll recognise the bag if it's something from her area. Then you can use the store's bag as wrapping paper!

Found this site for you too, it's super cute! I forgot about Canadian Tire money, she'll miss that too. An American's guide to Canada I wish there was a site like that for Canadians to learn all about our southerly cousins!

Edited by Stuart and Thea

Jan 21 2011 sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox - they lost it
Mar 22 2011 - Sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox second time
May 2 2011 - NOA1 at CSC
July 15 2011 - NOA2!!!
July 21 2011 - Hardcopy of NOA2 received in mail
Aug 9 2011 - Case forwarded to Montreal
Sep 7 2011 - Packet 4 sent from embassy
Oct 27 2011 - Interview
Nov 12 2011 - Intended POE VISA delayed due to typo on son's name at the consulate
Nov 22 2011 - Picked up Visa
Nov 26 2011 - New intended POE date
Dec 10 2011 - Wedding

Jan 12 2012 - Sent AOS package
Feb 1 2012 - They send rejection notice, they lost a signature page
Feb 4 2012 - Resent package
Feb 14 2012 - NOA2
Feb 22 2012 - NOA3
March 21 2012 - Biometrics
March 30 2012 - NOA4
May 16 2012 - Interview date

April 2014 - application for I751 Removal of Conditions
May 7 2014 - NOA for notice of receipt and extension letter received
May 8 2014- Verification of inclusion of a dependent letter received
Not dated but in May - letter requesting interview received
July 10 2014 - ASC appointment notice for biometrics received

July 24 2014 Biometrics appointment

Jan 22 2015 - USCIS call

March 18 2015 - USCIS call

April 2 2015 - USCIS call

May 14 2015 - Infopass appt

July 21 2015 - infopass appt

Sept 18 2015 - infopass appt
Feb 25 2016 - USCIS call
Feb 25 2016 - Ombudsman request form sent

Timeline

Thank you all so much for the ideas, and the feedback! It is immensely helpful to me. Also for the pointers that some of the things can be bought here in the states. That is going to save me a lot on shipping.

I've found a few of the things you mentioned in stores around here. For some reason the thai section of the international aisle of my local grocer has aero bars and smarties. A lot of the other stuff I will probably be forced to order online, but it's all good. She is worth it!

Likely it's right next to the British section? I wouldn't bother buying them - they don't taste the same as Cdn ones and generally they're really old :(

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.