tklove27

supporting documents proof of marriage

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone!

I am new to Visa Journey and am just starting the CR-1 process for my spouse...

My questions are about supporting documents to prove marriage:

1) for proof co-mingling of financial resources, what types of proof qualify? In other words, what should I do to prove this?

He lives in Canada, and I live in Florida. Do we have to get a joint bank account even though we are not in the same place yet? Or do we show deposits from his account to mine, and vice versa?

2) for affidavits of support, what types of affidavits qualify? Can it be my own parents? or does it have to be a non-relative? Should the affidavit be prepared by an attorney? If not, how do I go about properly preparing an affidavit? Do I just have each of my parents write a statement and have them notarize it? What are the particular elements of an affidavit?

3) in general, how many supporting documents should I provide? The more the better? Or just 2 is enough?

4) should I be sending any wedding pictures/invitations, wedding video footage as support as well?

Thanks in advance for answering the above questions!

Looking forward to the journey together! :)

~tasmia

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline

1. I think having a joint bank account with both your names on it is probably best. My husband was able to set up an account with Wells Fargo without any problems when he was visiting me in the US, and later we added me to his account. I'm not sure how it would work if your husband is outside of the country, though, since it might be something he'd have to do in person. We included a copy of our bank statement with both our names on it in the I-130 packet and didn't have any problems with requests for evidence or anything.

2. The affidavit of support isn't exactly that kind of affidavit - it's a specific form (called the I-864) that you will eventually need to fill out when you get to the NVC stage, so if you're just putting everything together for USCIS (the I-130), you won't need to deal with that for a while...but it's good to be prepared! Here's a little more info on the affidavit of support packet, if you're interested: http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut#FROM_PETITIONER_.28Components_for_I-864_AOS_Package.29_:

3. We included 3 pictures of us together at different times, a bank statement with both our names on it, and a letter from my dad pretty much stating who he is, how long he's known my husband, and that he knows our relationship and marriage is real. I think there's a template you can use for that kind of letter in the wiki.

I recommend taking a look through the wiki to get an overview of the process. And here's a link to the I-130 guide which will be really helpful when you're starting this first part. http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Hope this helps!

Married: Sept 4 2010

USCIS (124 days)

I-130 sent: Nov 22 2010

NOA1: Dec 9 2010

Touched: Jan 10 2011

Touched: Mar 23 2011

NOA2: Apr 12 2011

NVC (27 days)

Case entered: Apr 26 2011

Received DS-3032 and AOS invoice by email: Apr 29 2011

Emailed DS-3032 and paid AOS fee: Apr 29 2011

Received IV invoice and paid IV fee: May 3 2011

Mailed AOS and IV packets: May 7 2011

SIF and case complete: May 23 2011

Medical/Embassy

X-ray: Jun 6 2011

Medical exam: Jun 8 2011

Interview: Jun 22 2011 - approved

Received visa: Jun 24 2011

POE

Jul 15 2011

Total days from NOA1 to interview: 195

Hello!

-For co-mingling of resources, bank transfers work, you could set up a joint account. I used a copy of my authorization card to drive his car in Argentina and a copy of the car insurance we both had in US. We´re newly married, no lease or joint accounts.

-As supporting evidence Wedding pics, wedding cards, postmarked envelopes are good. I included a few. Also, hotel receipts, boarding passes, ect.

-Sworn Affidavits should be notarized and preferably done by a USC. I used my parents who were at the wedding. As to what they need, I took this from this site:

Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties havingpersonal knowledge of the bona fides of the maritalrelationship (Each affidavit must contain the full nameand address, date and place of birth of the person makingthe affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner ofbeneficiary, if any, and complete information and detailsexplaining how the person acquired his or herknowledge of your marriage);

I would suggest taking a look at the Guides on VJ, they are super useful. Good luck!

01-16-2008 Met in Argentina, started dating

07-03-2008 Moved in together

03-01-2011 Married;)

04-21-2011 Sent I-130

04-26-2011 Delivered 1:35p

04-28-2011 NOA1 E-mail, off to CSC

05-02-2011 NOA1 Hard copy, Priority date 4-28-2001

07-14-2011 NOA2 E-mail

I-130 Approved in 11 weeks!!!:)

***A break from paperwork, not quite ready to move to US, together in Buenos Aires and loving married life:))))

NVC JOURNEY

08-01-2011 Case recieved by NVC

04-19-2012 Paid IV and AOS fees online, PROCESSING

04-23-2012 AOS and IV status PAID

07-12-2012 Sent IV packet from Argentina FINALLY:))

07-18-2012 Sent my AOS packet to joint sponsor in US to attach her I-184

07-23-2012 IV Packet arrives at NVC!!!

07-31-2012 Called NVC and received e-mail, IV processed:))

08-07-2012 AOS overnighted via FED EX

08-08-2012 NVC receives AOS

08-14-2012 CASE CLOSED!!!!!!!!!

Patience, Acceptance, Surrender...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

We went with a relatively short list:

1) Marriage certificate, of course !!

2) Statement from joint bank account

3) Statement from joint credit card account

4) Half a dozen pictures

5) One month's phone call log

6) One month's email log--just headers--not the actual emails

7) Visa stamps in each of our passports

And was approved without an RFE

Hello!

-For co-mingling of resources, bank transfers work, you could set up a joint account. I used a copy of my authorization card to drive his car in Argentina and a copy of the car insurance we both had in US. We´re newly married, no lease or joint accounts.

-As supporting evidence Wedding pics, wedding cards, postmarked envelopes are good. I included a few. Also, hotel receipts, boarding passes, ect.

-Sworn Affidavits should be notarized and preferably done by a USC. I used my parents who were at the wedding. As to what they need, I took this from this site:

Affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties havingpersonal knowledge of the bona fides of the maritalrelationship (Each affidavit must contain the full nameand address, date and place of birth of the person makingthe affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner ofbeneficiary, if any, and complete information and detailsexplaining how the person acquired his or herknowledge of your marriage);

I would suggest taking a look at the Guides on VJ, they are super useful. Good luck!

Thanks Celinayfran for the info on sworn affidavits...I was confused on that and now it seems more clear! Did your parents just talk about your relationship, how it evolved, and describe your wedding in their affidavits?

~tasmia

Hello tklove27,

I can't find out from your timeline (guess you don't have one) exactly what phase are you in with your CR1 application. Are your USCIS or with NVC or going for the interview? You stated that you are going to apply for CR1 and if you are doing this via USCIS, then the affidavit of support would not be required (comes during the NVC phase). Also, each individual may have different requirements, even based on the country of reciprocity. In the NVC part, in some of the place, I did get information that you should not send any document other than what is listed. I got lot of help/ideas/suggestion from the wonderful VJWiki http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/EZGuideSpouse and helped me prepare lots of documents in advance. I still learn newer things as I moved and is still learning as moving, but it was a good start for me. Having a lawyer is a personal choice and as someone said if that helps you to sleep well, then go for it, but I personally do not think having a lawyer would add any value in terms of making mistakes or expediting the process (considering you are bit meticulous). Good luck on your journey.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.