DeeBee

IRS 1722?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If I'm not mistaken IRS 1722 letter was the outdated form to request tax transcripts.

We sent tax transcripts, it's better evidence than just sending tax returns.

Just visit IRS site and there you'll see the phone number ( 1-800-908-9946) and you can request the tax transcripts. I did and got them in a week! You can request them online or by mail too.

Good luck. :star:

Oh, I'm sorry I thought you meant the checklist for filing N-400. :blush:

Edited by Lisa and Phil

Caroline (Brazil) and Phil (USA)

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Thanks, I guess I'll just have to call them. I'm confused, what are tax transcripts (as opposed to tax returns)?

Ah yeah just saw your "filing" comment. Does anyone else have some input? Thanks.

Edited by DeeBee

Timeline

Ok, first when you filed your application, did you send tax returns or tax transcripts?

Here's a sample of tax transcripts.

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Ok, first when you filed your application, did you send tax returns or tax transcripts?

Here's a sample of tax transcripts.

I guess we sent returns. That transcripts sample is itemized and I know we didn't have anything like that.

Timeline

Just go to that site I told you before and contact them. You can call them and it's all automatic, you request what you want and get them pretty fast.

Is your interview on April 28? Call them tomorrow then. You will receive them in time. ;) (you can call them now I guess since it's automatic, it might be 24/7).

I know it's much better when they see the tax transcripts, maybe because it's from IRS. I would take tax returns (the ones you sent at first) in case.

And wait for more replies because I'm not at this point yet so someone else could explain better the reason they are requesting 1722.

Good luck. :star:

Edited by Lisa and Phil

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

From what I could piece together from old threads - 1722 is no longer in use. Even when it was, it was simply a form to determine whether or not taxes had been filed. It sounds as though transcripts are the way to go, so I'll call and request those. Please let me know if I'm mistaken.

Timeline

DeeBee, you may also call IRS and ask this question IRS Telephone Assistance .

I searched VJ and other sites and it really says what I said, that Form 1722 was the outdated form to request tax transcripts.

Check this on IRS website : Copies & Transcripts

Is your checklist like this one? checklist

The difference must be this:

To receive a copy of your return, complete and mail Form 4506 (PDF), Request for Copy of Tax Return.

To receive a tax return transcript, complete and mail Form 4506-T (PDF), Request for Transcript of Tax Return.

Found this at: IRS website

As I see form 4605 you have to pay for the request and it comes with a stamp, it's an actual copy of the tax papers. I've always read that people take tax transcripts 9the ones you don't pay) and they accept them. Tax transcripts are on IRS letterhead anyways.

Well, this reply will bring your topic to the top, maybe someone just had the interview and they could confirm this. :star:

yPnbm4.png

2003i9szfhw0aa.jpg

f2MWm5.png

View my Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If you bring in your tax returns, need all those 1099's and W-2's with it, need a copy of the original that you can print out, and with a joint return, both spouses have to sign it.

Tax transcripts are available free from the IRS, you can call that number listed above and order all the years you need, namely the last three for marriage, are highly condensed, typical on one sheet of paper, don't have to sign them, and acceptable by the USCIS. Its a far more convenient way to show your tax returns, and is free, even the phone call, as its a toll free number.

• 2 years later...
Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I tried calling the IRS and using the online version to get my transcripts. Unfortunately they don't recognize my soc sec number or say there's a problem, even though i've filed every year I've lived abroad. Anyone else have those issues?

I'm filing a 4506-T request for transcript form and faxing it in and having the form sent to my folks in the US so they can forward it onto me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I tried calling the IRS and using the online version to get my transcripts. Unfortunately they don't recognize my soc sec number or say there's a problem, even though i've filed every year I've lived abroad. Anyone else have those issues?

I'm filing a 4506-T request for transcript form and faxing it in and having the form sent to my folks in the US so they can forward it onto me.

I had the same problem when I called too so I tried my hubbys social and that worked. H&R block obviously had hubby listed as primary for our taxes or something. I thought both socials should work but I got them using his.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Try your spouse's social security number. If that doesn't work and you filed through an agency (e.g., H&R Block, Jackson-Hewitt) or using tax software (e.g., Quicken, TurboTax), see what comes up on your return. At the very least, you should be able to call the IRS information line and ask for transcript copies directly or get them from your local IRS office.

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.