Turbo SS

How many of you have wedding plans before your fiance gets here.

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

I guess this wouldnt really apply to people with Fiances in countries like Canada or the UK where its much easier for their fiance to get tourist visas and get to see the US before the commitment.

I am curious because I have seen so many threads with people talking about all this wedding planning and being worried about the date because approval process for a K1 is so slow. So I am mostly talking about people with fiances that have not been to the US yet.

To me it seems a little crazy. Before anyone jumps in and questions my commitment, yes I know we are right for each other and all that. However, I still have it in the back of my head what if she absolutely hates the US. If I planned a wedding all that money would go to waste.

So I am wondering if these people considered their fiance may hate living here and want to go home. I guess its ok if you want to pack up and move back to their country with them. Or maybe after living together for a few months you guys start to hate each other?

For us we plan to do just a simple courthouse wedding near the 90 day waiting period. That way if she absolutely cant stand it and has to walk away we at least saved some money and trouble for people who would fly in to Tulsa for the wedding. Then we plan to take time and have a real wedding like a year after.

Anyway, just curious.

9/13/2010 I-29f sent to Texas

9/23/2010 NOA1

10/3/2010 Touched

3/23/2011 Service request put in

3/30/2011 NOA2 finally!!!!

4/8/2011 Received by NVC

4/13/2011 NVC mailed packet to Guanzhou

5/5/2011 Consulate received packet

5/09/2011 Constulate mailed P3

6/15ish/2011 received P4

7/1/2011 Interview. Approved!!!

I worry about that sometimes, actually, and my fiance is British. (He has only visited the US once... long story short, it took him 3 years of the 4 years of our relationship for him to get a passport. But do note we did live together in the UK for 3 years).

Visiting the US is one thing, but actually starting over and starting from scratch is probably pretty daunting - no matter where you are from. I worry that sometimes, he thinks it's going to be 'great' here and what if it's not? We do realise that it's going to be very difficult in the beginning (e.g. him not being able to work straight away, AOS process = more paperwork!), but know that deep down - for us - the quality of life is better here. We can actually afford things here, whereas in the UK we were skint the whole time (and we both have decent jobs).... and as corny as it may sound, the sunshine in California really does make everything slightly better.

I just know that us being together again will be great and worth it :)

I guess this wouldnt really apply to people with Fiances in countries like Canada or the UK where its much easier for their fiance to get tourist visas and get to see the US before the commitment.

I am curious because I have seen so many threads with people talking about all this wedding planning and being worried about the date because approval process for a K1 is so slow. So I am mostly talking about people with fiances that have not been to the US yet.

To me it seems a little crazy. Before anyone jumps in and questions my commitment, yes I know we are right for each other and all that. However, I still have it in the back of my head what if she absolutely hates the US. If I planned a wedding all that money would go to waste.

So I am wondering if these people considered their fiance may hate living here and want to go home. I guess its ok if you want to pack up and move back to their country with them. Or maybe after living together for a few months you guys start to hate each other?

For us we plan to do just a simple courthouse wedding near the 90 day waiting period. That way if she absolutely cant stand it and has to walk away we at least saved some money and trouble for people who would fly in to Tulsa for the wedding. Then we plan to take time and have a real wedding like a year after.

Anyway, just curious.

K1 Journey
11/2006...... met for the first time on a night out in London!
11/25/07..... I moved to the UK on a work visa to be with him 🙂
02/27/09..... he proposed!
08/30/10..... sent I-129F
09/02/10..... NOA1
01/27/11..... NOA2 (147 DAYS from NOA1)
03/22/11..... INTERVIEW! (201 DAYS from NOA1) - APPROVED! --> Read the review here!
03/25/11..... visa received!!!
06/09/11..... POE LAX!! --> Read the review here!

AOS Journey
07/22/11.... SSN received
08/27/11.... our wonderful wedding!!
09/23/11.... sent AOS package
09/25/11.... AOS package delivered in Chicago (7:33 p.m.)
10/10/11.... AP rejection letter, refiled 10/17
10/11/11.... NOA1 received via text & email (AOS + EAD only)
10/15/11.... hard copies of NOA1 for AOS + EAD received (dated 10/7)
10/17/11.... refiled AP
10/18/11.... successful biometrics walk-in, Santa Ana, CA (appt for 11/1)
10/20/11.... NOA1 for AP
12/12/11.... call in to USCIS. Told to call back after 12/26.
12/23/11.... I-765 approved

02/1/12...... Interview
02/02/12.... Approved!
02/10/12.... Hubby's GC in hand!

ROC Journey

12/09/13.... sent I-751 to CSC

12/10/13.... package delivered / NOA1

12/12/13.... cheque cashed

01/06/14.... biometrics

04/18/14.... approval letter dated (received 4/22)

Naturalization Journey

09/29/22.... filed N-400 online

09/30/22... NOA/biometrics reuse

01/23/23... interview scheduled for 02/28 

02/28/23... successful interview + oath ceremony in Santa Ana, CA! so proud! certificate of naturalization received! --> Read the review here!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
we plan to do just a simple courthouse wedding near the 90 day waiting period. Then we plan to take time and have a real wedding like a year after.
This exactly, si man. :thumbs:

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Pretty much the courthouse wedding and the huge wedding later here for us. We actually would have had the big wedding right away when she got here but the Catholic church likes to make people wait and get counseling and other stuff beofre they allow wedding since she is Catholic and I was Methodist.

We do not have any extravagant plans - we will do a small civil ceremony with immediate family. His family is willing and interested in traveling, but we want to be together as soon as possible and it's too risky to plan a wedding with how processing times are fluctuating. Perhaps we will have a traditional ceremony later or a celebration/reception with everyone.

My fiance had spent 5 years in the US before returning to his home country almsot 2 years ago. We actually met here - so we are the more stereotpical couple although even when in the states we were hundreds of miles apart, so the distance and waiting is not new, but it is always painful. Fortunately we don't have to worry about adjusting and whether he will like it or not.

2-11-11 | I-129F sent

2-16-11 | NOA1

6-06-11 | NOA2