MensahLuv

Age Difference

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Just wondering if any of my VJ- Africa peep had a age difference between their fiance/fiancee wife/husband? Specifically, I was more interested in the women being older and what affects if any did it have on you interview? How much of a age difference would e a big concern? I am older than my fiance. Nothing drastic but I am by a few years. Anyone who had an interview had a similiar situation?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Well I donno but in my opinion I don't think it has any impact on your interview. I never heard any had a problem with the age difference at his/her interview. My husby is older than me with 28 years and it didn't bring any concern of the Consular officer when I went for my interview earlier this year. What I rather heard is that in cases where women petition for their men triggers admin processing.

Timeline

Well I donno but in my opinion I don't think it has any impact on your interview. I never heard any had a problem with the age difference at his/her interview. My husby is older than me with 28 years and it didn't bring any concern of the Consular officer when I went for my interview earlier this year. What I rather heard is that in cases where women petition for their men triggers admin processing.

Yea, they dont really scrutinize when the man is older. I am a female USC and I am the older one. I actually look like the younger one. LOL! Just wondering if there were any other similiar cases on board. :-)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

There are two Steeel who interviewed today (and was approved!) and Flor and Evans who are in December interviewing. There were some feeds awhile ago about this same issue.

THEY DONT CARE ABOUT THE AGE DIFFERENCE... AND IT DOESNT MATTER TO THEM..

Second that! As long as you can prove the relationship they really dont care!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
There are two Steeel who interviewed today (and was approved!) and Flor and Evans who are in December interviewing. There were some feeds awhile ago about this same issue.

It depends on the consulate. Sometimes it is an issue for some African countries where marrying an older woman isn't the norm. There are many threads on VJ about this. I believe Morocco is a big "age issue" consulate from memory of previous posts.

Here for instance they talk bout it http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/283166-age-difference/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The time when age difference makes the biggest issue is in cultures where it is VERY important that a man produce a child, especially a male child and the USC is peri/post menapausal.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

It can be an issue at some consulates. I think that age comes up with a slew of other things but not as the sole issue for a denial.

BTW, my husband is older than me by 2 years and some change (I am the USC).

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline

As for the consulates and the interview... I have no clue cuz I aint there yet! LMBO! Just wanted to add in the two cents that I know about (which probably amounts to next to nothing in this whole visa world).

I think it is completly CULTURAL!!! I noticed the African culture really PREFERS that the man is the older one. I'm only a year older than my fiance but it was somewhat of an issue when we first met. I was told that the idea behind it was that the man is the leader and head of the household, so its sometimes difficult for them to imagine a much older woman taking orders from a younger. I was told culturally, it's not only age difference, but large education and income differences as well (If the woman has a lot higher education or makes a whole lot more money than him). I think the biggest thing is that most African men I know DEMAND their respect as the man/leader. The more modern younger generation seems to have learned that all those thing dont neccessarily MAKE the person. If two people love, respect each other and are 100% committed, anything is possible.

Timeline

It depends on the consulate. Sometimes it is an issue for some African countries where marrying an older woman isn't the norm. There are many threads on VJ about this. I believe Morocco is a big "age issue" consulate from memory of previous posts.

Here for instance they talk bout it http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/283166-age-difference/

I wonder how I miss that post. Thanks for the link on the topic.

It can be an issue at some consulates. I think that age comes up with a slew of other things but not as the sole issue for a denial.

BTW, my husband is older than me by 2 years and some change (I am the USC).

Aww thats the norm. A man can be 30 plus years and nobody blinks! LOL!

The time when age difference makes the biggest issue is in cultures where it is VERY important that a man produce a child, especially a male child and the USC is peri/post menapausal.

Thanks! That shoould not be an issue. :-)

Timeline

Its very real. Thanks again. Now I just need to go print those skype log. :blink:

Timeline

Evans and I are 20 years apart. I pray that age is not an issue. I am older then he. Just recently we had lost our child but plan to have another soon as he gets here. I know in my heart that God has put us together and we will be together soon. Our interview is on the 21st. Lord knows that we have been waiting for a long time to be together forever. I will let you know if that really did an impact on our interview but I doubt that very much. Its all about how real the relationship is and that you can prove it without a doubt. have faith and prayers and all will be fine. God has already put all those toegther and planned all those to be toegther. It shall all be fine. Keep the faith dear. God bless you and your fiance. All will be well, believe in him for he already has paved your path.

TIMELINE

FEBRUARY 27,2009 - Meet

MARCH 27,2009 - Flew to Ghana to meet Evans and his family

APRIL 8,2009 - Returned to USA

FEBRUARY 10,2010 - I-129F sent to Vermont

FEBRUARY 16,2010 - Received NOA 1 ( Hard Copy)

FEBRUARY 16,2010 - touched

NONE- RFE received

MAY 21,2010 - Touched

MAY 21,2010 - NOA2 received (EMAIL)

MAY 26,2010 - NOA 2 received hard copy

MAY 26,2010 - NVC received

June 10,2010 - NVC sent to Embassy of Ghana

June 14,2010 - EMBASSY received (got an e-mail after sending them an e-mail)

June 23rd - July 2nd - Going to Ghana

July 28,2010 - Packet 3 & 4

November 9,2010 - Medicals

November 15,2010 - Vaccinations (4 shots. the next 2 shots are on the 14th)

December 21,2010 - Interview

March 31,2011 - 2nd Interview

?? - Visa pick-up date

?? - EVANS arrival

?? - Apply for SSN

?? - Get married

?? - Start AOS process

event.png

event.png

event.png

GOD BLESS US ALL AND KEEP US SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

As for the consulates and the interview... I have no clue cuz I aint there yet! LMBO! Just wanted to add in the two cents that I know about (which probably amounts to next to nothing in this whole visa world).

I think it is completly CULTURAL!!! I noticed the African culture really PREFERS that the man is the older one. I'm only a year older than my fiance but it was somewhat of an issue when we first met. I was told that the idea behind it was that the man is the leader and head of the household, so its sometimes difficult for them to imagine a much older woman taking orders from a younger. I was told culturally, it's not only age difference, but large education and income differences as well (If the woman has a lot higher education or makes a whole lot more money than him). I think the biggest thing is that most African men I know DEMAND their respect as the man/leader. The more modern younger generation seems to have learned that all those thing dont neccessarily MAKE the person. If two people love, respect each other and are 100% committed, anything is possible.

I am 13 years older than my husband and we plan to have a child when he gets here. We have a wonderful relationship based on love and respect and in many ways, he is more mature and more thoughtful than I am. We were denied our K1 visa back in March 2010 for other reasons so we went and got married and re-filed for a CR-1. But he did go through 8 months of AP before the K1 visa was denied and I think a lot of it had to do with the age difference, race difference, religious difference and cultural difference.

Edited by DebbyNSeyi

CR-1 VISA

2010-06-01: Get Married!!!

2010-06-15: Mail out I-130 - Petition for Alien Relative

2010-06-22: I-130 NOA1
2010-09-30: I-130 NOA2
2011-01-26: Interview - APPROVED! (7 months, 4 days)
2011-02-02: Visa issued and in hand!
2011-02-25: POE - JFK (New York City)
2011-03-14: Received Conditional Green Card
2011-04-01: Received SS Card
2012-03-25: Our son is born!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012-11-27: Mail out I-751 - Removal of conditions
2012-12-03: I-751 NOA1
2013-01-17: Biometrics

2013-05-13: I-751 Approved

2013-05-17: Received 10 year Green Card

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2013-11-27: Naturalization Eligibility (3 years based on marriage)

2013-11-29: Mail out N-400 - Application for Naturalization

2013-12-03: N-400 NOA1

2013-12-06: Check Cashed

2013-12-31: Biometrics

2014-01-27: Place In-Line for Interview

2014-03-28: Interview Scheduled

2014-04-04: Interview Letter Received

2014-05-06: Interview

2014-05-12: N-400 Approved and Oath Date Scheduled

2014-05-22: Oath Ceremony - Become a naturalized citizen!!!

OUR VISA JOURNEY IS OFFICIALLY OVER!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.