VJNG

Greencard Lost in Mail

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I've never heard of 'in person pickup' from any USCIS office.

Do you have address issues?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi,

Is there any option through which i can collect greencard by hand?My greencard was lost in mail.Now if i file for I-90,what is the guarantee that it will not get lost again?

Please help..

I don't think your local field office has the equipment needed to produce a green card. My wife's card was sent from Lee's Summit, Missouri. I suspect that's where they are all made.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

The thing is, if you haven't changed your address and have received all other USCIS notices ok (Welcome letter), that it has not been lost but rather never produced.

What we did is got our congressman involved and after filing two I-90s (card never received option) WITHOUT a fee we finally received my card - close to a year since I POE-ed. You want the USCIS to produce evidence that they produced (no such option) and mailed (they don't do trackable mail) you your green card. Since they can't, you want a new GC without having to pay another I-90 fee ($380).

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hey ,

I changed my address online in July 1st week 2010, then called customer service and changed it on July 27,2010.According to info from the immigration officer,my card was mailed on July-30.

Yea I did receive the welcome notice letter from USCIS (on 2nd Aug 2010) to the right address but not the green card.Should i just file I-90 now?I am just sick of items getting lost in mail,so was jus wondering if there is any way through which i can personally collect my green card.

Also, should i be present at that address when the card was sent,because i am right now on a short vacation but my family still resides at that address?

Please help..

The thing is, if you haven't changed your address and have received all other USCIS notices ok (Welcome letter), that it has not been lost but rather never produced.

What we did is got our congressman involved and after filing two I-90s (card never received option) WITHOUT a fee we finally received my card - close to a year since I POE-ed. You want the USCIS to produce evidence that they produced (no such option) and mailed (they don't do trackable mail) you your green card. Since they can't, you want a new GC without having to pay another I-90 fee ($380).

Hey ,

I changed my address online in July 1st week 2010, then called customer service and changed it on July 27,2010.According to info from the immigration officer,my card was mailed on July-30.

Yea I did receive the welcome notice letter from USCIS (on 2nd Aug 2010) to the right address but not the green card.Should i just file I-90 now?I am just sick of items getting lost in mail,so was jus wondering if there is any way through which i can personally collect my green card.

Also, should i be present at that address when the card was sent,because i am right now on a short vacation but my family still resides at that address?

Please help..

You can file I-90, but I'd have the congressman's Immigration Liaison Officer in the loop as well - as a backup as they can get direct answers from the service centers, unlike regular people. I was specifically emailed by ILO (fwd of an email from service center rep for congressional inquiries) with instructions on what to put on the TO field when sending in my I-90 - it was something to someone's name XX and then DO NOT OPEN IN THE MAIL ROOM.

The good thing is, the welcome notice came to the right address so it's not like they don't have the right info. I think it's just a failure to click on produce GC button or whatever they have in the system that was not completed and you're without your gc.

Go with the congressional ILO staffer and get them working on your case.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

What is the Congressman's approach and how do i do it?Can you please shed some light.?

Also,I need to remove my conditions(as it is conditional) soon as it is a conditional card and unfortunately,i will be getting divorced.I might get my divorce decree within a month,so without the greencard ,do you think i can file with my passport stamp (Which says i am on a Permanent resident immigrant visa).Otherwise .i need to wait till i get this new replacement card and follow process again

Please help

Thanks,

You can file I-90, but I'd have the congressman's Immigration Liaison Officer in the loop as well - as a backup as they can get direct answers from the service centers, unlike regular people. I was specifically emailed by ILO (fwd of an email from service center rep for congressional inquiries) with instructions on what to put on the TO field when sending in my I-90 - it was something to someone's name XX and then DO NOT OPEN IN THE MAIL ROOM.

The good thing is, the welcome notice came to the right address so it's not like they don't have the right info. I think it's just a failure to click on produce GC button or whatever they have in the system that was not completed and you're without your gc.

Go with the congressional ILO staffer and get them working on your case.

Timeline

What is the Congressman's approach and how do i do it?Can you please shed some light.?

Also,I need to remove my conditions(as it is conditional) soon as it is a conditional card and unfortunately,i will be getting divorced.I might get my divorce decree within a month,so without the greencard ,do you think i can file with my passport stamp (Which says i am on a Permanent resident immigrant visa).Otherwise .i need to wait till i get this new replacement card and follow process again

Please help

Thanks,

Please help

Thanks,

google congressman and your state - you need to sign a release form before they can represent you with a federal agency - usually you can find this form on the congressman's website.

How long ago was it that you received your residency? You should have taken action within 6 months of not receiving your card. The I-551 stamp in your passport is good for a year since the visa activation - they won't give you another one unless you have proof of filing I-90.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

Its actually just about 2 months back that they posted it(July 30) but i never received it.Do you think I will get my greencard if i try with I-90 or do i need to follow the congressman approach only?(I dont know if this approach is hard)

Its actually just about 2 months back that they posted it(July 30) but i never received it.Do you think I will get my greencard if i try with I-90 or do i need to follow the congressman approach only?(I dont know if this approach is hard)

DId you first call the 1-800 line to see if it has been returned to them? If so, they can mail it back to you.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

Hi,

Whenever i call them, USCIS jus raises aservice request .After a few days I receive a mail saying that they sent the card and was not returned back to them.Is the card delivery status upadated in the USCIS Case status info when i key in my receipt no?

Also,can you tell me what all documents go with I-90 as evidence?I am submittting my I-797C and my passport for biographical info.Are those sufficient?Please let me know..

Thanks a lot,

Hi,

Whenever i call them, USCIS jus raises aservice request .After a few days I receive a mail saying that they sent the card and was not returned back to them.Is the card delivery status upadated in the USCIS Case status info when i key in my receipt no?

Also,can you tell me what all documents go with I-90 as evidence?I am submittting my I-797C and my passport for biographical info.Are those sufficient?Please let me know..

Thanks a lot,

Well, since you are CR-1, you'd include your visa with I-551 stamp as proof of status.

Seriously, contact the congressional aide as I mentioned earlier and see what information they can dig up for you. They can get more info than any USCIS contractor answering 1-800 phones.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline

Hi Milimelo,

I am also caught up in another weird situation.Unfortunately,I will be getting divorced.I will get my divorce decree in Nov.Since this CR1 card will be temporary,I am not sure if i should wait for another 6 months just to get this replacement card,or wait till the divorce decree and remove conditions with my I-551 passport stamp?Do you know if it is possible?.

Not sure where i can get the right info for this.The other day i made an infopass appointment and asked the immigration officer but she told me that i can wait till 2 years(till Jun 2012 as per the expiry date on my green card).However,when I saw the I-751 instructions ,I read that conditions should be removed anytime before removal from US.So I think the best bet would be apply after divorce decree and not wait.What do you say?

Please help if you can,

Well, since you are CR-1, you'd include your visa with I-551 stamp as proof of status.

Seriously, contact the congressional aide as I mentioned earlier and see what information they can dig up for you. They can get more info than any USCIS contractor answering 1-800 phones.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.