sweetginger

what is the best option?

17 posts in this topic

Greetings to all,

I am a 10 year green card holder. Resident since 02.23.07. Didn't apply for naturalization when my 3 year

mark down came. I'm not in a hurry to naturalized and thought it's a waste of money to apply so soon,

better use the card until it expired. Plus we have alot of expenses this year. Anyway, We thought about

taking the kids for a visit (around May 2011) in the Philippines next year. NOw, here comes the problem:

1. Notice that my Philippipne passport will expire on 02.2011

2. Didn't report my marriage at the Philippine Embassy (don't know if it is necessary to have it reported

before getting a new passport)

So, my questions are:

1. IS it possible to apply for N-400 even though it's way past the 90days period prior to 3 years?

2. how many months does it takes from sending the form until oath taking (Indy Office)?

3. Does it still take at least 8 weeks to get a US passport?

4. Can I renew my passport on my maiden name thru mail?

5. IF we go to Chicago and apply for new passport, can we do it in a day?

We lived at Indy and we don't really like to travel that far because of the kids. any inputs will be

appreciated.

thanks alot

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS:

Jan. 30, 2009 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

Feb. 02, 2009 - CSC Received Mailed I-751

Feb. 09, 2009 - NOA1 (I-751 Receipt Notice)

Feb. 13, 2009 - NOA2 (Biometrics Schedule)

Mar. 05, 2009 - Biometrics Done / Touched

Apr. 11, 2009 - Received Congratulatory/Approval Letter (04/07/09)

May 14, 2009 - Touched (Card Production Ordered)

May 20, 2009 - Touched (Approval Notice Sent --- WEIRD)

May 26, 2009 - Green Card Received.

Greetings to all,

I am a 10 year green card holder. Resident since 02.23.07. Didn't apply for naturalization when my 3 year

mark down came. I'm not in a hurry to naturalized and thought it's a waste of money to apply so soon,

better use the card until it expired. Plus we have alot of expenses this year. Anyway, We thought about

taking the kids for a visit (around May 2011) in the Philippines next year. NOw, here comes the problem:

1. Notice that my Philippipne passport will expire on 02.2011

2. Didn't report my marriage at the Philippine Embassy (don't know if it is necessary to have it reported

before getting a new passport)

So, my questions are:

1. IS it possible to apply for N-400 even though it's way past the 90days period prior to 3 years?

2. how many months does it takes from sending the form until oath taking (Indy Office)?

3. Does it still take at least 8 weeks to get a US passport?

4. Can I renew my passport on my maiden name thru mail?

5. IF we go to Chicago and apply for new passport, can we do it in a day?

We lived at Indy and we don't really like to travel that far because of the kids. any inputs will be

appreciated.

thanks alot

1. Yes. You may apply for N-400 even if it's already pass your 90days period as long as your GC is not expired. My 90 days period was last April 2010 but i didn't submit my N-400 application until July 2010.

2.Every case is unique which means not everyone has the same timeline. With my case I mailed my application July 2010 and my interview is scheduled this coming Oct 2010.

3. I believe US passport application takes about 6 days to 6weeks or even longer.

4. If you are talking about renewing your Philippine passport then the answer is "NO", they no longer allow renewing passport through mail. Applying for passport in person only takes few hours but they will not give your passport on the same day. They will send your passport in the mail!

You are not obliged to report your marriage to obtain a new passport though if you want to use your husband's lastname on your new passport then you need to do the "Report of marriage". You may report you marriage through mail or in person. In my case I already renewed my passport before I report our marriage so my passport has my maiden name on it and is not the same as what appears on my "Green card". Later on we went back to the Philippine consulate and report our marriage then had my passport ammended.

Hope this helps! Take care

21 Jan 06 : Met

24 May 06 : Engaged

28 Jun 06 : Submitted K-1 Petition

08 Jul 06 : NOA1

13 Oct 06 : Received RFE

16 Oct 06 : Send Back RFE To CSC

13 Nov 06 : NVC Received Petition

22 Nov 06 : received and Sent Back Packet 3!

27 Nov 06 : Packet 4 Received

12 Dec 06 : Interview And Visa Aproved!

16 Dec 06 : Flew to Washington

21 Dec 06 : Got Married

AOS/EAD

01/29/2007 Sent out to Chicago Lockbox address package for AOS & EAD via USPS

01/30/2006 Chicago Lockbox received my package @ 01:06 pm

02/05/2007 AOS/EAD receipt recieved on Mail!

02/23/2007 Biometric Appointment For EAD/AOS

04/12/2007 INTERVIEW!!!(Approved)

04/21/2007 WEDDING!!!

04/26/2007 Greencard received in Mail

I-751 (Removal of condition)

02/02/2009 Mail application to Laguna Niguel(CSC)

02/04/2009 Application arrived and signed by V Semegi

02/10/2009 Cashed check NOA and 1yr extension received in the mail (Receipt date: 02/04/2009)

03/16/2009 Biometrics appointment schedule

04/21/2009 Received 10yr greencard approval notice in the mail!!!Yeyy....

CITIZENSHIP

07/28/2010 Application sent

07/29/2010 Your item was delivered at 10:20 AM on July 29, 2010 in LINCOLN, NE 68508 to INS EXPRESS . The item was signed for by M WILES.

08/06/2010 Cashed check

08/08/2010 NOA in the mail

08/19/2010 Biometrics received in the mail

09/10/2010 Biometrics scheduled appointment(walk-in 30 August 2010-biometrics done)

10/14/2010 Interview and Oath taking ceremony done

1. Yes. You may apply for N-400 even if it's already pass your 90days period as long as your GC is not expired. My 90 days period was last April 2010 but i didn't submit my N-400 application until July 2010.

2.Every case is unique which means not everyone has the same timeline. With my case I mailed my application July 2010 and my interview is scheduled this coming Oct 2010.

3. I believe US passport application takes about 6 days to 6weeks or even longer.

4. If you are talking about renewing your Philippine passport then the answer is "NO", they no longer allow renewing passport through mail. Applying for passport in person only takes few hours but they will not give your passport on the same day. They will send your passport in the mail!

You are not obliged to report your marriage to obtain a new passport though if you want to use your husband's lastname on your new passport then you need to do the "Report of marriage". You may report you marriage through mail or in person. In my case I already renewed my passport before I report our marriage so my passport has my maiden name on it and is not the same as what appears on my "Green card". Later on we went back to the Philippine consulate and report our marriage then had my passport ammended.

Hope this helps! Take care

Thank you for the input.

It's just a bummer that the Phil. Embassy don't renew passport thru mail anymore.

Looks like we need to start gathering evidence for my N-400 so we can send it immediately.

Applying for N-400 will save us money, paper works and traveling to Chicago.

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS:

Thank you for the input.

It's just a bummer that the Phil. Embassy don't renew passport thru mail anymore.

Looks like we need to start gathering evidence for my N-400 so we can send it immediately.

Applying for N-400 will save us money, paper works and traveling to Chicago.

You're welcome and Goodluck! Keep us posted...

AOS/EAD

04/21/2007 WEDDING!!!

02/10/2009 Cashed check NOA and 1yr extension received in the mail (Receipt date: 02/04/2009)

CITIZENSHIP

07/29/2010 Your item was delivered at 10:20 AM on July 29, 2010 in LINCOLN, NE 68508 to INS EXPRESS . The item was signed for by M WILES.

08/06/2010 Cashed check

09/10/2010 Biometrics scheduled appointment(walk-in 30 August 2010-biometrics done)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

An old overworked subject, wife still has to maintain her foreign passport if she wants to visit her mom because the DOS puts her place of birth on it. Went around in circles on this issue, she cannot simply denounce her home countries citizenship as her place of birth is still on her US passport. And they is what they look at, at the POE of her home country.

DOS told us we have to go back to the USCIS to change her place of birth on her certificate first, I have no idea how to do that. Or even if the USCIS would do that, can't find anything on this subject, but a perfect example of buck passing.

Since she was put on record, we had to show efforts when leaving Colombia that she was renewing her Colombian ID, while her mom did have her original ID papers, they wouldn't accept that, so we had to pay an addition 300 bucks for what they call a notary copy of her original. Its been eight months now and nothing, but we could pay for expedient service that amounts to bribing their judges with a thousand dollar bill, well ten hundred buck bills now. I had to do that during our AOS as they made errors on her previous marriage and birth certificate or we would have had to wait another two years for the normal court routine. USCIS would not accept those errors, even though was just a one letter error where they typed a B instead of a V. Note those two letters are right next to each other on your keyboard. Basterds can't even type. So we said the heck with paying that additional expedient fee, and are just waiting.

One reason for trying to get her US citizenship as early as possible was not to have to go through this foreign passport #######, has to be done in person at her consulate and only three of those in the entire USA.

I really don't know if the Philippines require you to maintain their passport, easy enough to find out, call their consulates.

MacArthur was really partial to the Philippines after WWII and gave them the opportunity to become the 49th US state, but their people voted against it becoming a dictatorship state instead. This was actually good for large USA semiconductor corporations after the formation of our EPA. Could move all that polluting ####### and dump it in the streets of your country, couldn't do that here. Plus get all the labor they needed working your people to death for two bucks a day. But according to USA CEO's, this is not criminal, its good business.

An old overworked subject, wife still has to maintain her foreign passport if she wants to visit her mom because the DOS puts her place of birth on it. Went around in circles on this issue, she cannot simply denounce her home countries citizenship as her place of birth is still on her US passport. And they is what they look at, at the POE of her home country.

DOS told us we have to go back to the USCIS to change her place of birth on her certificate first, I have no idea how to do that. Or even if the USCIS would do that, can't find anything on this subject, but a perfect example of buck passing.

Since she was put on record, we had to show efforts when leaving Colombia that she was renewing her Colombian ID, while her mom did have her original ID papers, they wouldn't accept that, so we had to pay an addition 300 bucks for what they call a notary copy of her original. Its been eight months now and nothing, but we could pay for expedient service that amounts to bribing their judges with a thousand dollar bill, well ten hundred buck bills now. I had to do that during our AOS as they made errors on her previous marriage and birth certificate or we would have had to wait another two years for the normal court routine. USCIS would not accept those errors, even though was just a one letter error where they typed a B instead of a V. Note those two letters are right next to each other on your keyboard. Basterds can't even type. So we said the heck with paying that additional expedient fee, and are just waiting.

One reason for trying to get her US citizenship as early as possible was not to have to go through this foreign passport #######, has to be done in person at her consulate and only three of those in the entire USA.

I really don't know if the Philippines require you to maintain their passport, easy enough to find out, call their consulates.

MacArthur was really partial to the Philippines after WWII and gave them the opportunity to become the 49th US state, but their people voted against it becoming a dictatorship state instead. This was actually good for large USA semiconductor corporations after the formation of our EPA. Could move all that polluting ####### and dump it in the streets of your country, couldn't do that here. Plus get all the labor they needed working your people to death for two bucks a day. But according to USA CEO's, this is not criminal, its good business.

In the Philippines, If you are dual citizenship then "Yes" you have to show them your passport upon entry to the Philippines.

US exit- US passport

Philippine entry and depart- US + Philippine passport

Entering the US - US passport

AOS/EAD

04/21/2007 WEDDING!!!

CITIZENSHIP

08/06/2010 Cashed check

Timeline

In the Philippines, If you are dual citizenship then "Yes" you have to show them your passport upon entry to the Philippines.

US exit- US passport

Philippine entry and depart- US + Philippine passport

Entering the US - US passport

So sweetginger like my wife, really doesn't have a choice between naturalization or renewing her foreign passport, actually needs both to return to her home country if she is naturalized.

But only applies to your home country, with a US passport, many new countries are opened to you, depending on your home country passport. With her some country passport, many countries require a visa to enter, where they don't with a US passport.

So sweetginger like my wife, really doesn't have a choice between naturalization or renewing her foreign passport, actually needs both to return to her home country if she is naturalized.

But only applies to your home country, with a US passport, many new countries are opened to you, depending on your home country passport. With her some country passport, many countries require a visa to enter, where they don't with a US passport.

thanks for the clarification.

My husband and I changed our plan. :) I think it will be better if we just go to chicago and renew my Philippine passport then process my naturalization maybe next year or so. It will be alot of paper works and expenses if I do it all at one time.

anyway, do u guys know how long does it take to get a copy of processed report of marriage from the consulate in Chicago?

thanks again for taking time reading/answering my q's.

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS:

Timeline

My husband and I changed our plan. :) I think it will be better if we just go to chicago and renew my Philippine passport then process my naturalization maybe next year or so. It will be alot of paper works and expenses if I do it all at one time.

anyway, do u guys know how long does it take to get a copy of processed report of marriage from the consulate in Chicago?

Can't say for the Philippines, for Venezuela where my wife was a citizen, we had to register our marriage at the consulate in Chicago. I needed proof of who I was as well as my wife, plus we need an apostile from our secretary of state with our USA marriage license. That wasn't too bad here, costs around 8 bucks.

I took a second look at my wifes' certificate of naturalization, they don't list the place of birth! They list the country of former nationality and for her, its Venezuela. So why does the DOS list the place of birth? Beats the hell out of me, just too many different damned agencies to deal with. She also has to maintain citizenship in Venezuela as she owns property there. We are trying to sell it, but won't do any good if we did, can't bring the money out of the country and I feel its safer in the property than in one of the many banks Hugo has taken over.

Easiest way out is to forget about it.

If you want your passport to reflect your US spouse's family name then you also have to report your marriage to the Philippine Embassy.

Edited by marriedtomrg

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

If you want your passport to reflect your US spouse's family name then you also have to report your marriage to the Philippine Embassy.

Yes, We're thinking about reporting my marriage to the phil. consulate, I just don't know how long its gonna take. I'm going to send the papers this week.

We planned about going on 2nd week of October. Hope we can have it (copy of processed rom) by then.

btw, if we don't do the ROM what should I click on status, husband name? I'd like to write my husband info but I don't know if its going to make any confusion?

any thoughts?

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS:

Yes, We're thinking about reporting my marriage to the phil. consulate, I just don't know how long its gonna take. I'm going to send the papers this week.

We planned about going on 2nd week of October. Hope we can have it (copy of processed rom) by then.

btw, if we don't do the ROM what should I click on status, husband name? I'd like to write my husband info but I don't know if its going to make any confusion?

any thoughts?

It's only gonna take one day to do the report of marriage process. I was able to ammend my passport at the same day! I would suggest you ROM that day then apply for passport that day also. YOu won't get your passport the same day. They have to mail it to you and it will take atleast a few weeks or even months. Once you report your marriage that the same day, I believe that they'd be able to adjust your lastname on your passport too!

AOS/EAD

04/21/2007 WEDDING!!!

CITIZENSHIP

08/06/2010 Cashed check

It's only gonna take one day to do the report of marriage process. I was able to ammend my passport at the same day! I would suggest you ROM that day then apply for passport that day also. YOu won't get your passport the same day. They have to mail it to you and it will take atleast a few weeks or even months. Once you report your marriage that the same day, I believe that they'd be able to adjust your lastname on your passport too!

And YES, they will give you a copy of your ROM application but they will tell you that it should be available at the Philippine census after 6months.

AOS/EAD

04/21/2007 WEDDING!!!

CITIZENSHIP

08/06/2010 Cashed check

That will be nice if I can do it all in one day... I don't need to bother to gather all the requirements for ROM this week. :)

Do you need to pay extra when u asked them to ammend ur passport? Or is it the fee u paid for ROM? I just want to make sure I have enough cash when I go there.

btw, do u still have the list of the things u submit for ROM and PP application? Do u mind to PM it to me?

thanks again

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

That will be nice if I can do it all in one day... I don't need to bother to gather all the requirements for ROM this week. :)

Do you need to pay extra when u asked them to ammend ur passport? Or is it the fee u paid for ROM? I just want to make sure I have enough cash when I go there.

btw, do u still have the list of the things u submit for ROM and PP application? Do u mind to PM it to me?

thanks again

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html

Wife's I-130:

03/15/2019 NOA1 (Nebraska Service Center)

02/11/2020 Case transferred to Vermont Service Center

02/02/2021 NOA2 الحمد لله

02/04/2021 Approval email
02/12/2022 NVC documents submitted

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.