Shawnt

K-1 denied - told could appeal

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Greetings. I was denied a K-1 visa because the consular officer said I could not prove that we have an ongoing relationship with my fiance, that why did we have only one photo together. He also said they could not tell whether my fiance is the one who makes deposits into my account. The CO would not give me a chance to explain a thing. I have been married and divorced before and subsequently deported. They said the whole thing is a fraud. They also said we could appeal. I don't know how long this is going to take, I just want to be with the man I love and these people at the embassy just won't believe me. Why are they so unkind?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Greetings. I was denied a K-1 visa because the consular officer said I could not prove that we have an ongoing relationship with my fiance, that why did we have only one photo together. He also said they could not tell whether my fiance is the one who makes deposits into my account. The CO would not give me a chance to explain a thing. I have been married and divorced before and subsequently deported. They said the whole thing is a fraud. They also said we could appeal. I don't know how long this is going to take, I just want to be with the man I love and these people at the embassy just won't believe me. Why are they so unkind?

ONE photo? Really????? You really expected to get a visa based on showing ONE photo?

CR-1 VISA

2010-06-01: Get Married!!!

2010-06-15: Mail out I-130 - Petition for Alien Relative

2010-06-22: I-130 NOA1
2010-09-30: I-130 NOA2
2011-01-26: Interview - APPROVED! (7 months, 4 days)
2011-02-02: Visa issued and in hand!
2011-02-25: POE - JFK (New York City)
2011-03-14: Received Conditional Green Card
2011-04-01: Received SS Card
2012-03-25: Our son is born!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012-11-27: Mail out I-751 - Removal of conditions
2012-12-03: I-751 NOA1
2013-01-17: Biometrics

2013-05-13: I-751 Approved

2013-05-17: Received 10 year Green Card

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2013-11-27: Naturalization Eligibility (3 years based on marriage)

2013-11-29: Mail out N-400 - Application for Naturalization

2013-12-03: N-400 NOA1

2013-12-06: Check Cashed

2013-12-31: Biometrics

2014-01-27: Place In-Line for Interview

2014-03-28: Interview Scheduled

2014-04-04: Interview Letter Received

2014-05-06: Interview

2014-05-12: N-400 Approved and Oath Date Scheduled

2014-05-22: Oath Ceremony - Become a naturalized citizen!!!

OUR VISA JOURNEY IS OFFICIALLY OVER!

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Come on! One photo is light-years away from proving anything to me how much more the COs. You should have visited this site to know the requirements and various situations for you to be more prepared. Especially with your previous situation, you would have needed to provide a lot more proof and paperwork to convince those stumbling blocks at the embassy that your case is not a fraud. I don't know if they would want to entertain anymore K-1 petitions from you. It might be safer for you to go and get married first b4 you file again. Good luck.

Timeline

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline

If you only have one photo and limited evidence of time together since you were deported the CO was correct that you have not proven a valid and ongoing relationship especially since you have other immigration issues. What were you arrested and deported for. You may not EVER be able to get a visa depending on the offenses. You will at least need a wavier for your inadmissability

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Tero and NigeriaorBust have perfectly valid points. The second I read that you only had ONE photo made me think that a denial in your case was automatic. From the two in-person visits I have had with my fiancée, there is no shortage of pictures of us together. I'll say that out of those, I have selected 29 that I think are the best. Whether or not all of those 29 are used depends on some things.

Sounds like you have a very complicated case and may need an attorney to sort it all out.

Good luck to you.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Tero and NigeriaorBust have perfectly valid points. The second I read that you only had ONE photo made me think that a denial in your case was automatic. From the two in-person visits I have had with my fiancée, there is no shortage of pictures of us together. I'll say that out of those, I have selected 29 that I think are the best. Whether or not all of those 29 are used depends on some things.

Sounds like you have a very complicated case and may need an attorney to sort it all out.

Good luck to you.

Great point, Ryan. Many here will discount photographic evidence by saying, "Photos are merely secondary evidence."

Nothing could be further from the truth. I can't tell you how many initial and AOS Consular Interview experiences I have heard about first hand where the Photo Album was the primary point of interest and question by the Officer in the interview.

Photos each say 1000 words, so let your Photos do the talking for you!

OP, why not take another trip to see your sweety and snap a few dozen photos like Ryan.

It is just plain smart to be a shutter bug in the immigration process.

Good Luck! :star:

fab_splash_66_travel_38404a.jpg

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Timeline

If you only have one photo and limited evidence of time together since you were deported the CO was correct that you have not proven a valid and ongoing relationship especially since you have other immigration issues. What were you arrested and deported for. You may not EVER be able to get a visa depending on the offenses. You will at least need a wavier for your inadmissability

Timeline

The reason I was arrested and deported is I failed to notify USCIS of change of address. After reading posts on this site, I know that the only way out is to get married. Thanks for your good comments and good wishes. Good luck to you all...

First time around my fiance was denied for LACK OF PHOTOS! Second we had over 40 plus buku chat and phone record.

Slam dunk shoe in!~!~

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That makes little sense, must have been more to it than that.

BTW I showed one photograph, all that was required.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Yo boiler! I had my senator check on why my lady was denied. I got a letter form the head honcho at USEM stating she was denied for lack of pictures. We had 2.

You were lucky.

I say lots of photos and multiple trips are the TOP 2 things that assist in getting visa approval.

Edited by Dakine

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Well, maybe the consulate you went through is/was very laid back and I'm pretty sure you filed some years back. Requirements now have changed a great deal and the rules keep changing (harder and more expensive). Who knows what the requirements would be in the next decade ...couples may have to make love in front of them to prove ....!

The Boiler was only required to show one photo because he is so incredibly awesome.

They say that if the Boiler gave you directions, you would never get lost and would in fact arrive 10 minutes early.

The Boiler is the life of parties which he has never attended.

He is the only person to ever ace the Rorschach test.

Long live the Boiler!

:star:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

One photo for the consulate in Kenya? I'm afraid you went to battle a fierce and mighty dragon armed with only a toothpick and a rubber band. :blush:

Unless it's been more than 10 years since you were deported (20 years, if the deportation wasn't your first immigration violation) then you are inadmissible. You could have come to the interview with a truck load of evidence and you would still have been denied. You need an I-212 waiver before you can get a visa. Good luck!

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.