newlyweds2010

who can translate the birth certificate?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

I read that many of you translated their birth certificate yourselves or had it translated by spouse/in-laws. Others say that it's necessary to have a certified translation by some professional translators.

Since translators are expensive (I was asked $ 100 for a half-page document), is it safe to do it ourselves and just declare that we did a good job and that the translation is awesome?

I can surely do it, my wife can surely do it too. I'd rather save those $ 100 to buy something else.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I read that many of you translated their birth certificate yourselves or had it translated by spouse/in-laws. Others say that it's necessary to have a certified translation by some professional translators.

Since translators are expensive (I was asked $ 100 for a half-page document), is it safe to do it ourselves and just declare that we did a good job and that the translation is awesome?

I can surely do it, my wife can surely do it too. I'd rather save those $ 100 to buy something else.

As long as you or your wife are competent in both languages, you can do the translation yourselves. There is a statement that needs to be attached saying the translation is true and accurate and that you are competent in both languages. (English and Italian?)Here are the instructions from the USCIS website

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________

Date Typed Name

Address

http://www.uscis.gov...00045f3d6a1RCRD

event.png

Timeline

As long as you or your wife are competent in both languages, you can do the translation yourselves. There is a statement that needs to be attached saying the translation is true and accurate and that you are competent in both languages. (English and Italian?)Here are the instructions from the USCIS website

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Date Typed Name

Address

http://www.uscis.gov...00045f3d6a1RCRD

thank you for your reply. we could both do it, since we both speak Italian and English, I thought that there was some rule that neither the petitioner nor the beneficiary could do it.

did you translate yours yourself?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I translated mine :dance:

Edited by Poline

10/08/2007 - Marriage

RESIDENCE

06/08/2010 - AOS sent
06/15/2010 - Email confirmation (AOS received)
06/17/2010 - checks cashed
06/23/2010 - NOA's received
06/26/2010 - Biometrics letter
06/30/2010 - RFE (website)
07/08/2010 - I-130 touched
07/08/2010 - I-131 touched
07/09/2010 - Biometrics done
07/12/2010 - I-485 touched
07/12/2010 - I-765 touched
07/14/2010 - RFE letter (they asked for the taxes again)
07/21/2010 - RFE sent
07/23/2010 - USPS delivery confirmation
08/07/2010 - NOA for the Interview (09/08/2010)

09/08/2010 - Interview (APPROVED)

NATURALIZATION

06/20/2013 - Application for Naturalization sent

06/21/2013 - Email from USCIS stating that they received my case

06/28/2013 - Fingerprint letter sent

07/02/2013 - Fingerprint letter received

07/15/2013 - Fingerprints taken

Timeline

I translated mine :dance:

And USCIS didn't have anything against it? that's cool, I think I will do it myself because translators are ridiculously expensive.

Timeline

And USCIS didn't have anything against it? that's cool, I think I will do it myself because translators are ridiculously expensive.

take a look:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/translations

the USCIS accepted my translation with no problem

10/08/2007 - Marriage

RESIDENCE

06/08/2010 - AOS sent
07/21/2010 - RFE sent

NATURALIZATION

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

take a look:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/translations

the USCIS accepted my translation with no problem

Same here. Did my husband's with no issues.

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I used CertifiedTranslate.com. The cost was $59 for the Birth certificate and they did it in three days, including sending me a copy to double check everything and then fixing one small item that was difficult to read on the form I sent them. I was impressed by their work. This was my contact person

:

Desa Philadelphia

CertifiedTranslate | Project Manager

2801 Townsgate Rd. Ste 213 | Westlake Village, CA 91361 USA

T +1 888-856-2228 x103 (Direct Line)

T +1 310-684-3153 x103 (outside USA)

F + 1 310-564-1944

desa@certifiedtranslate.com

5/20/08 Met through a mutual friend in Medellin

7/02/08 - 10/27/08 Visited 5 times

12/08/08 6th Visit Medellin (gave "Promise" ring to be exclusive)

1/22/09 - 6/21/09 4 more visits. 6/22/09 GOT ENGAGED!

7/25/09 11th Visit Met in Panama

9/19/09 12th Visit Met in Medellin for Dial Del Amor y Amistad

6/23-7/21 Gathered paperwork and applied for I-129F 7/24/09 USCIS acknowledges Receipt of I-129F application NOA1

9/28/09 NOA2 received!!! Only 66 days! 10/02/09 NSC Received and completed Application and sent to Bogota

10/02/09 Embassy received application (my lawyer is two weeks behind informing me - time line information learned on 10/15/09)

10/09/09 Embassy sent out Package 3 10/15/09 Package 3 not received - downloaded forms from website.

10/16/09 Submitted DS-2100 and Ds-230 to apply for interview date. 10/23/09 Received Interview date (had to call DOS)

12/09/09 Interview - VISA GRANTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1/07/10 Arrived in Miami, cleared Immigration with no problems. Arrived in Charlotte to a freaking cold spell 55 degrees colder than Dora has ever experienced.

Timeline

I think, it's better to use cert. translate because you can use it in the future. Check your embassy. My embassy charge me only $15.

??

Timeline

If you are able to translate your birth certificate, why wasting money with cert translators?

10/08/2007 - Marriage

RESIDENCE

06/08/2010 - AOS sent
07/21/2010 - RFE sent

NATURALIZATION

Timeline

If you are able to translate your birth certificate, why wasting money with cert translators?

that's what I'm saying: if a certified translator is not required and USCIS accepts translations made directly by the petitioner/beneficiary, I'm fine with that. It took me 10 minutes to do it, it's not even a page, and I don't see why I should pay $60+ for this service, which is obviously not worth that money. Plus, I can get my signature notarized for free by my wife's aunt who is a notary.

Edited by newlyweds2010

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

So just to be clear, my wife can translate her own Romanian birth certificate to English if she uses this format:

"The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Date Typed Name

Address"

?

What should the format of the translated birth certificate look like? It should be similar to original I imagine?

embrace the journey.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

So just to be clear, my wife can translate her own Romanian birth certificate to English if she uses this format:

"The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Date Typed Name

Address"

?

What should the format of the translated birth certificate look like? It should be similar to original I imagine?

Yes, you just need to add that certification on your translated document. Just try and stick to the general format and layout as best you can of the original you are translating.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

• 4 years later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I asked this question before. This is what I got from a translator in the US.

A phone call to the USCIS revealed that you actually can't. I asked if it was okay to self-translate a birth certificate. A very polite representative advised I should seek the professional help of a translator or agency instead. However, reading around the popular immigration forums opens up new interesting stories. For example, there are actually people who have managed to translate and certify their birth certificates themselves and were not turned down. Others talk about having had their birth certificates translated by friends and family and being easily accepted. While their stories may be true, it is still a very chancy situation. Who wants to ruin their application process by receiving an RFE (Request for Evidence) which slows you down by a long time? Simply, noone! Better safe than sorry, you might think to yourself! And you are right, as a professional certified translation only costs $25 saving you from embarrassment and months of waiting!

To certify a translation means, in other words, to guarantee that the translation is accurate. Most birth certificates contain words, terms and expressions that may not be so easy to translate, thus making an ordinary person incapable of guaranteeing the accuracy. Not to mention the names of government institutions whose equivalents are sometimes complicated to find the in the USA.

Another reason why translating a birth certificate yourself is not a good idea raises an issue of credibility. The immigration officials may just reject your translation based on the fact that it casts doubt on the translated information. Understandably, this would be done to prevent fraud. This scenario inludes family members and friends as well.

To summarize, you do not want to slow down getting your emoloyment authorization or permanent residence card (green card) by translating your birth certificate yourself or by your friends or family. Trying to save $25 and hoping the USCIS overlooks it is just not worthy it. You lose time doing it, you lose time getting it rejected and you lose time getting it finally translated by a real professional or agency. It is rather risky! Get it translated properly the first time.

He recommended Dttranslations.com they charge $25 for an entire document.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.