birdnerd

Canadian DCFs Waiting for Interview in Montreal

789 posts in this topic

Nope, should be a standard application. My wife is a US citizen, no kids/adoptions/criminal history etc. Both (temporary) residents in Canada on work/study permits.

Myself and dawnlinnet have been waiting since Feb for an interviw, birdnerd since March. One of my police certificates runs out at the beginning of December.

Oh wow, that is quite a wait… :wow: 6 months just to get the date and the interview itself could be 4-6 months from then? Sheesh.

So did you send your completed checklist and DS-230 in Feb before or after having all your documents in hand?

I read somewhere on that DCF link (earlier in the thread) that if you send copies of the documents WITH the DS-230 and checklist that it can SPEED your interview date…anyone have experience with that?

I know the letter does not request that.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh wow, that is quite a wait… :wow: 6 months just to get the date and the interview itself could be 4-6 months from then? Sheesh.

So did you send your completed checklist and DS-230 in Feb before or after having all your documents in hand?

I read somewhere on that DCF link (earlier in the thread) that if you send copies of the documents WITH the DS-230 and checklist that it can SPEED your interview date…anyone have experience with that?

I know the letter does not request that.

Hey mllover,

Congrats! Though what you received could actually be considered as your NOA2, as it is technically the approval of your I-130. :)

I sent back the DS-230 and checklist only, then proceeded to obtain my police clearance, support stuff, etc. With such a long wait to interview, you've certainly got time to collect the required stuff after sending back P3. As the letter requests the DS-230 and checklist, I'd send that back. IMO, Montreal would get even more bogged down in your case if you send more paperwork than what they're ready to deal with at the time. ;)

Called DoS today, still no date. <_<

Edited by birdnerd

Timeline

Wow, lots of activity! Unfortunately, not by the consulate. :P

Mllover, just let us know when you send back your DS-230 and I'll move you into the waiting for interview column. :thumbs:

Name..................................I-130 Filed...........................DS-230 Returned............................Interview Date

tauruslady............................May 2009...................................Oct 2009....................................Jan 2010 -----------> postponed

dawnlinnet ........................Oct 27 2009...............................Feb 15 2010

superspur..........................Nov 21 2009...............................Feb 15 2010

birdnerd............................Jan 25 2010................................Mar 26 2010

Adichiwa............................Jan 5 2010.................................Mar 27 2010

choles................................Mar 1 2010 (?)...........................Apr 23 2010

leonsgal70.........................Mar 18 2010..............................Apr 26 2010

kimberlyk21.......................Mar 19 2010...............................May 10 2010

bscobrown..........................Mar 2010..................................Jul 2010 ----bsco did you submit your I-130 in Mar or Jan?

dabigbass...........................May 2010.................................Jul 2010

Shimmer4554.....................????????....................................Jul 2010

sammy060382.....................Feb 2010.................................Aug 5 2010

Still to come:

Abike..................................Sept 2009

canok..................................Feb 2010 (?)

Saad & Sumera....................Mar 2010

digoman..............................May 27 2010

mllover................................Jun 11 2010

Erdestino............................Jul 21 2010

AMERICAN/CANADIAN........Jul 2010

housewife...........................Jul 13 2010

Stephen&Kim

Edited by birdnerd

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Wow, I dont know what to say.

I basically have everything. All we need is the medical which we can't get and the police clearance. Which he will go for as soon as the paper comes in.

I actually gave them copies of everything, except for 2 translations which they said no biggie, bring it to the interview.

I heard they are at 6 - 9 months. And my guess is that would be an accurate assessment for someone who has no complicated situtation.

Timeline

So another question.

You get your date (finally) how much time do they give you for the date??

If you get the letter today (I wish everyone would get the letter today that they have a date)

What is the average wait time to go to the interview?? a week, month more??

When I went one guy said there was a 4 month wait and one said "we will see you after the new year, probably January". I was actually seen by two officers. Both were very nice.

the first one said 4 month wait and he actually said, don't wait to get your translations do it now as I had asked if it was a super rush or if I had time.

I am wondering if it's a bit slow because there was a turnover at the consulate. I know one of the officers who interviews got transferred early July.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So another question.

You get your date (finally) how much time do they give you for the date??

If you get the letter today (I wish everyone would get the letter today that they have a date)

What is the average wait time to go to the interview?? a week, month more??

When I went one guy said there was a 4 month wait and one said "we will see you after the new year, probably January". I was actually seen by two officers. Both were very nice.

the first one said 4 month wait and he actually said, don't wait to get your translations do it now as I had asked if it was a super rush or if I had time.

I am wondering if it's a bit slow because there was a turnover at the consulate. I know one of the officers who interviews got transferred early July.

From what I understand you wait the 6 months or so to get your interview and its usually about a month after you get the letter. Remember not all of us live in Montreal so we need time to plan a trip there...ie tell work book flights, hotels, etc.

I keep hoping it will go faster than it has been up til now but hoping doesnt always make things a reality. Sometimes you just have to suffer through the bad stuff:(

July 8, 2010 Filed I-130 (DCF) Calgary AB

event.png

Timeline

Ah ok than you Can/Am

I look at the time lines and all the NOA1 and NOA2 stuff.

I got the impression my I-130 was approved.

I went and I had all the documents except 2 translated ones as everything else was in english. He said wait and we will see if we will accept like this. We went to sit, he called my name and said, ok we will accept like this, go pay your $355 and come back and just make sure you have the translations when you come next time. I said do I have to rush or do I have time. He said don't wait. I got them done within the week. We did go pay and went back and another man gave me a paper and talked to me telling me what I needed to prove domicle. He was nice he said and we will see you sometime after the holidays in the new year. That to me meant January as a tentative date. He also said, the police certificate is good for a year so I'd wait a bit to get it and then go. So I figure we will go either when I get the paper or in a month from now. Which ever comes first at this point.

The medical is no biggie. I asked and they said appt within a day, they give the shots if you need any right there, (you pay but that's ok) and you get the results in 48 hours. Since the only shots required will be probably flu (winter months) and the tdap, no biggie.

Pictures is simple enough, we can have them while we wait.

How many pics do we need. I did the A325 biographic data already and they took that with a picture so how many more pics do we need???

Do you send in the checklist and the application DS230?? by registered mail???

Timeline

I got the impression my I-130 was approved.

How many pics do we need. I did the A325 biographic data already and they took that with a picture so how many more pics do we need???

You don't know if/when your I-130 has been approved until you get your letter from Montreal with your case number and the checklist.

You will need 5 more pictures: 3 for the medical, 2 for interview. (Costco is super cheap, only $6.99 per pair.

Edited by birdnerd

Timeline

Thanks Birdned

Thank you for the photo info. Costco here doesn't do USA photos I went and they said no. I have a place that was ok, Do I need the photos too or just my husband (he is the immigrant, I'm the citizen)

Also in the DS 230, am I the petitioner??? I assume I am the petitioner

Also for #35 all the dates you visited the USA. My husband is born Canadian, he is 61 years old, his family took him on many vacation, he goes with me to the US for my healthcare just for a day and sometimes for his healthcare.

I listed all the states he visited and put it from XX - (present) and wrote on a paper that he has been vacationing all his life and that we were married there and it is impossible to know each and every date he went on for a vacation since he was born.

I hope they will accept that. I understand that it's for people who live far away and maybe only visited a couple of times but for a canadian especially one in Montreal we go across for a day trip when I go see my doctor or he goes to his doctor.

But my big question is am I the petition

Thanks

Timeline

Thanks Birdned

Thank you for the photo info. Costco here doesn't do USA photos I went and they said no. I have a place that was ok, Do I need the photos too or just my husband (he is the immigrant, I'm the citizen)

Also in the DS 230, am I the petitioner??? I assume I am the petitioner

Also for #35 all the dates you visited the USA. My husband is born Canadian, he is 61 years old, his family took him on many vacation, he goes with me to the US for my healthcare just for a day and sometimes for his healthcare.

I listed all the states he visited and put it from XX - (present) and wrote on a paper that he has been vacationing all his life and that we were married there and it is impossible to know each and every date he went on for a vacation since he was born.

I hope they will accept that. I understand that it's for people who live far away and maybe only visited a couple of times but for a canadian especially one in Montreal we go across for a day trip when I go see my doctor or he goes to his doctor.

But my big question is am I the petition

Thanks

You don't have to specify 'US size' at Costco, just tell them you want the photos 2"x2". I had them done no problem, they seem to handle various sizes there.

You the USC are the petitioner, the Canadian is the beneficiary (for the I-130), or applicant (for the DS-230).

As for the dates of travel to the US, try to list the longest trips or the most recent, it won't really matter that much anyways, since what they really want to know is what visas you have used to get into the US, and presumably, have you overstayed on any of them. I listed my most recent trips, then wrote an addendum that basically said that I took many car trips through the US over the years, up to several weeks in length, visa not required (as Canadian citizen).

Edited by birdnerd

Timeline

Hi Birdned.

Thank you. Thank you Thank you.

Ah ok, I went to Costco and asked for US photo. I will go and ask for size. That is what happened.

Thank you I wasn't sure who the petitioner was so confusing sometimes these documents.

I will list the most recent but this year alone, we went down probably 6 times so far. I figured they were looking for people who needed visas and if anyone overstayed their allotted times etc.

thanks again.

Timeline

Hi, just another question?? Sorry for all the questions. I'm a basket case. My poor husband is suffering severe anxieties. I just hope he will be ok. I never in my wildest dreams imagined this to be so difficult and nerve wracking.

Y'all are amazing and thank you for all your help and support. Thanks for being there for me even though I ask a gazillion questions.

Do you send back the checklist and the DS 230 like registered mail?? you know with tracking # or just reg mail.

I would prefer with tracking # if it's allowed.

Birdnerd,

My husband and I would like to be added to the waiting list. Im so glad I found this thread because I had been starting to lose my marbles. If my memory serves me right. We sent in 1-130 in Jan 2010 and the DS-230 checklist in March 2010. No news yet. The nice thing I found out when reading this thread that I can actually call the 202-663-1225 number to find some information out. Im just not sure exactly of what to ask. Should I ask if my MTL case number has been logged into their system? This is the only place I can call to find any information on the status of our application, correct?

Thanks so much and good luck to all who are waiting. Until then try to enjoy the wonderful things about Canada (like, poutine and free healthcare.)

Pinguino.

Timeline

Birdnerd,

My husband and I would like to be added to the waiting list. Im so glad I found this thread because I had been starting to lose my marbles. If my memory serves me right. We sent in 1-130 in Jan 2010 and the DS-230 checklist in March 2010. No news yet. The nice thing I found out when reading this thread that I can actually call the 202-663-1225 number to find some information out. Im just not sure exactly of what to ask. Should I ask if my MTL case number has been logged into their system? This is the only place I can call to find any information on the status of our application, correct?

Thanks so much and good luck to all who are waiting. Until then try to enjoy the wonderful things about Canada (like, poutine and free healthcare.)

Pinguino.

Welcome Pinguino,

Looks like you're pretty much the same timeline as me, so hi filing buddy. :)

DoS can only tell you what Montreal has done, i.e. have they logged your P3 (DS-230), have they set an interview date, etc. They are unfortunately the only window into your application. Remember to press 1 then 0 to avoid the recorded messages, then give them your case number, beneficiary's name and occasionally petitioner's name. They'll let you know that you're eligible for interview, you can ask them when your p3 was logged.

Also, it'd be awesome if you could create and fill in your timeline. :thumbs:

Edited by birdnerd

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

hey yall. I have a minor problem and need some advice. Our lease on our apartment is up on Oct 31 this year, and the people who own the apartment complex are renovating all the condos and selling them off. My landlord said she would try to let us stay here until the immigration stuff is done but that she would need us to sign another lease saying the planed move out date.... Im trying to figure out when I should anticipate being able to move to the US...Im thinking that our interview should be between Jan 19th or so and March 19th (according to the recording that it takes 5-7 months to get an interview and 4-6 weeks after filing I-130 to get MTL case number/ Packet 3! So my question is do yall think it would be a safe bet to tell our landlord that we will be out by the end of March? Ive heard that the summer is the worst time for Montreal and they speed up after that. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks ya'll:)

July 8, 2010 Filed I-130 (DCF) Calgary AB

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.