KeithandTan

Question regarding sponsor's tax return

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi,

My fiancee received the letter for the embassy appointment, and we are getting our paperwork together. We will be submitting the I-134 for a co-sponsor, but do I still have to submit financial paperwork for myself? I've been living/working in Thailand for over two years, and I haven't completed a tax return since I've been out here. I just printed up the paperwork to file it retroactively, but it's complicating since I can't obtain a W-2 out here. Basically, I'm wondering if it's necessary that I complete my taxes this year, or will my co-sponsor's (more than adequate) financial information be enough for our K-1 visa to be processed?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Moving thread to:

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi,

My fiancee received the letter for the embassy appointment, and we are getting our paperwork together. We will be submitting the I-134 for a co-sponsor, but do I still have to submit financial paperwork for myself? I've been living/working in Thailand for over two years, and I haven't completed a tax return since I've been out here. I just printed up the paperwork to file it retroactively, but it's complicating since I can't obtain a W-2 out here. Basically, I'm wondering if it's necessary that I complete my taxes this year, or will my co-sponsor's (more than adequate) financial information be enough for our K-1 visa to be processed?

Generally, Bangkok does not accept a joint sponsor. There is a Thai woman that occassionally posts in VJ. SHe is able to read postings at the Thai web site www.usvisa4thai.com. I believe her name is member name is Ning.

The only two known joint sponsorships accepted by Bangkok were both for USC's graduating from University with job offers. I really fear it is impossible to get a joint sponsor accepted for a K-1.

Please ask your fiancee to ask at the web site I gave you.

Good luck.

Naturalization N-400

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Generally, Bangkok does not accept a joint sponsor. There is a Thai woman that occassionally posts in VJ. SHe is able to read postings at the Thai web site www.usvisa4thai.com. I believe her name is member name is Ning.

The only two known joint sponsorships accepted by Bangkok were both for USC's graduating from University with job offers. I really fear it is impossible to get a joint sponsor accepted for a K-1.

Please ask your fiancee to ask at the web site I gave you.

Good luck.

This is correct as far as I know. Several people reported BKK wouldnt accept a co-sponsor for a K 1. However there were two cases that I know of that did use a co-sponsor & were approved. The co-sponsor must be a close relative. I advised both of those people on writting a letter to further explain the situation & include it with the 134s.

You will need to have your taxes in order to have a chance of approval & fill out a 134 yourself. I dont think you need W 2 s but you do need transcripts. You can get those thru the IRS & have them faxed to you in Thailand. A member had a very difficult time due to a tax situation in the past.

BKK can be a very difficult embassy & things change there over time. A member has just been thru a very difficult situation in BKK where they insisted on following a procedure to the letter. It has taken weeks to comply with the demands of the embassy. These very same sanctions were not imposed on me when I went thru the embassy. This may indicate to you why you should be in compliance with every aspect.

Question - IF the OP decides to do his 2009 taxes, will the USCIS look at that

just as another application without comment or bring several late-filing questions

forward because the deadline is past due?:whistle:

Anybody with experience in this area care to jump in?

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Your best bet is to file your taxes, then get a tax transcript showing you are 125% over the poverty guidelines. I ran into an issue because my 2007 income was barely over the $18k requirement, BUT I had a tax lien for $10k. They subtracted that from my 2007 income, so in their eyes I only made $8k. I was able to quickly file my 2008 tax return, which was well over the limit, and they accepted that.

In my case I was IR-1, so the I-864 was filed with NVC. NVC didn't say a word about it. They blindsided my wife with it at the interview. I still don't know why NVC approved my case and sent it to Bangkok.

To add to that, I went back and amended my returns all the way back to 2006 and filed married filing jointly. They wiped my debt clean, and sent me a check for $4500. So some advice to anyone that is CR-1/IR-1, and has been married for a few years. File the 1040X and get your $. Have to have the SS# or an ITIN to do that.

Edited by daboyz

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Ning and Daboyz gave you good advice to straighten out your past due taxes. They (at the Embassy) will not inquire as to why they were filed late as long as they are looking at some filings.

Of course you still need to think through the joint sponsor issue which seems to have been lost in here. You can do as Ning suggested (I am just trying to make her point standout) that you need to submit a package with your I-134 basically pleading for an exception to allow you the use of a joint sponsor which Bangkok does so rarely.

Good luck.

Naturalization N-400

• 2 months later...

They (at the Embassy) will not inquire as to why they were filed late as long as they are looking at some filings.

True, but the IRS may have a few questions about it when they get home...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.