suri

I-751 without passport [edited]

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Hi all,

I am filling I-175 but my passport expired 1 months ago. Do I need to copy my passport for I-175 document?

I read I-175 instruction, I did not see they require copy of passport. When I read this forum on I-175 General Topic, many people send copy of their passport.

Please tell me about that.

Thanks you so much,

Suri

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Don't need copies of passport for the application. They did not even check mine at the biometrics appointment. But if you have an interview or need and I-551 stamp then you will need a passport.

Filed: Other Timeline

You will need a passport for naturalization, should you decide to go that route. Yet your expired passport is all you need. They only need to see it in order to check on whether you fulfill the residency requirement, i.e., on when you left the US and for how long.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Thank you all very much, I understood on applying I-175 without copy of passport but I do not clear

You will need a passport for naturalization, should you decide to go that route. Yet your expired passport is all you need. They only need to see it in order to check on whether you fulfill the residency requirement, i.e., on when you left the US and for how long.

You mean I will still need to apply new passport for naturalization application in the future!!!. Could I use my expired passport if they ask me in case I do not go out the US during now and that time?

Everyone has experience on this, please share with me

Thanks,

Suri

Hi all,

I am filling I-175 but my passport expired 1 months ago. Do I need to copy my passport for I-175 document?

I read I-175 instruction, I did not see they require copy of passport. When I read this forum on I-175 General Topic, many people send copy of their passport.

Please tell me about that.

Thanks you so much,

Suri

hi Suri,

passport copies are not required....

Thank you all very much, I understood on applying I-175 without copy of passport but I do not clear

You mean I will still need to apply new passport for naturalization application in the future!!!. Could I use my expired passport if they ask me in case I do not go out the US during now and that time?

Everyone has experience on this, please share with me

Thanks,

Suri

as long as you don't travel outside the US then you don't need a passport. Just take your expired one if you have any travel entry/exit boarder stamps on it....

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Timeline

hi Suri,

passport copies are not required....

as long as you don't travel outside the US then you don't need a passport. Just take your expired one if you have any travel entry/exit boarder stamps on it....

Hi v33k,

Thank you so much.

I also do not need new passport for applying naturalization, right! I would like to make sure it. Just use expired passport!!!

Sorry a little bit my confusion

Suri

Filed: Other Timeline

You do not need a new passport for the rest of your life.

If you want to travel internationally, you need a valid passport.

For ROC you need NO passport, not even the expired one, and NO photocopies of it.

For naturalization you need your expired passport and, just in case you decide to get a new one, that as well. You need to show when you left the US and when you came back since becoming a LPR. Without a valid passport you could not have left and come back, hence it's not needed.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

You do not need a new passport for the rest of your life.

If you want to travel internationally, you need a valid passport.

For ROC you need NO passport, not even the expired one, and NO photocopies of it.

For naturalization you need your expired passport and, just in case you decide to get a new one, that as well. You need to show when you left the US and when you came back since becoming a LPR. Without a valid passport you could not have left and come back, hence it's not needed.

Hi,

Thank you Bob,

Your explaination is very clear.

Suri

• 6 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hi,

I'm bumping this thread back up since the last update was in 2010. Can someone whom recently had this experience confirm this?

For someone who's not planning to go anywhere outside of the US until naturalization.

Summary from this thread:

1) To fill I-751 (lifting conditional status), you don't need a copy of your passport. So it doesn't matter if it's expired or not.

2) When called for biometrics appointment for I-751, it does not matter if your passport is expired or not.

3) For naturalization, you can use your expired passport IF you don't have a renewed passport.

So all in all, applying for I-751 AND naturalization, you don't need to renew your passport if you're not planning to go anywhere?

Is there a need to have your passport renewed at any point in the timeline up until naturalization if you know you're not going anywhere?

Thanks!

K1 Visa:

11-07-2012: I-129F sent

05-31-2013: Packet 3 received

10-23-2013: Packet 3 sent

11-19-2013: Interview

04-07-2014: POE Boston

05-07-2014: Got married after 12 years of LDR! :dancing:

AOS:

10-10-2014: Filed (together with combo EAD/AP)

10-27-2014: NOA received

12-10-2014: Request for Initial Evidence (RFI) received

11-12-2014: Biometrics Appt

02-03-2015: RFI received by USCIS

02-25-2015: Notice of Potential Interview Waiver Case letter received

(completely forgot): GC received. Resident since 07/04/2015.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.