Scott and Mhay

Flying through Guam on the way to the US

15 posts in this topic

So how many people have done this? I dont think I will be able to get Mhay a ticket through Taipei to anchorage...they arent available through china airlines site and if I find that ticket on a search engine it is really expensive...$1600-2300 one way!!!

I found a fairly decently priced ticket...Manila to Guam (with only a 2 hour layover) to Hawaii (with a 3 hour layover) to Anchorage.

I was checking out this site for visa info.. https://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/international_travel_information/visa_passport_information/index.jsp ...looks like Mhay would clear immigration in Guam, but do customs in hawaii??

/ 15APR10 / 0636 UTC

National Philippines (PH)

Transit Guam (Mariana Isl., U.S.A.) (GU)

Destination U.S.A. (US)

ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

Guam (Mariana Isl., U.S.A.) (GU)

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):

Visa required, except for Those intending to transit Guam who

comply with U.S entry requirements (or hold U.S. (transit)

visa). Those transiting on the same day do not have to clear

customs, but must clear immigration.

Warning:

- Non-compliance with the entry regulations will result in

fines of USD 3,300.- per passenger for the transporting

carrier.

U.S.A. (US)

Passport required.

- Nationals of Philippines may enter with passports valid for

period of intended stay.

Passport Exemptions:

- Holders of a valid on arrival Form I-512 (Authorization for

Parole of an Alien into the United States").

- Holders of a Temporary or Emergency passports.

Visa required, except for Holders of a Form I-512

( Authorization for Parole of an Alien into the United

States").

Visa required, except for Those admitted to the U.S.A. on a

single entry visa, returning to the U.S.A. after a visit of

max. 30 days to Canada or Mexico.

Passengers travelling to Canada or Mexico for stays of 30 days

or less must For details, click here

- A passenger may enter the U.S.A. with a valid visa in an

expired passport, provided: For details, click here

Minors:

- Children, up to/incl. 15 years of age, excluding nationals

of the USA and nationals entitled to travel under the U.S.

Visa Waiver Program (V.W.P.), are allowed to travel on their

parent's passport. A person included in the passport of

another may not use the passport for travel unless he/she is

accompanied by the bearer.

Additional Information:

- Passengers not having proof of sufficient funds for length

of stay For details, click here

Warning:

- Non-compliance with entry/transit requirements will result

in:For details, click here

CHECK TINEWS/N1 - SCHENGEN: NEW VISA CODE, EFFECTIVE 5

APRIL 2010

Just wondering how going through Guam was?

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

So how many people have done this? I dont think I will be able to get Mhay a ticket through Taipei to anchorage...they arent available through china airlines site and if I find that ticket on a search engine it is really expensive...$1600-2300 one way!!!

I found a fairly decently priced ticket...Manila to Guam (with only a 2 hour layover) to Hawaii (with a 3 hour layover) to Anchorage.

I was checking out this site for visa info.. https://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/international_travel_information/visa_passport_information/index.jsp ...looks like Mhay would clear immigration in Guam, but do customs in hawaii??

/ 15APR10 / 0636 UTC

National Philippines (PH)

Transit Guam (Mariana Isl., U.S.A.) (GU)

Destination U.S.A. (US)

ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

Guam (Mariana Isl., U.S.A.) (GU)

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):

Visa required, except for Those intending to transit Guam who

comply with U.S entry requirements (or hold U.S. (transit)

visa). Those transiting on the same day do not have to clear

customs, but must clear immigration.

Warning:

- Non-compliance with the entry regulations will result in

fines of USD 3,300.- per passenger for the transporting

carrier.

U.S.A. (US)

Passport required.

- Nationals of Philippines may enter with passports valid for

period of intended stay.

Passport Exemptions:

- Holders of a valid on arrival Form I-512 (Authorization for

Parole of an Alien into the United States").

- Holders of a Temporary or Emergency passports.

Visa required, except for Holders of a Form I-512

( Authorization for Parole of an Alien into the United

States").

Visa required, except for Those admitted to the U.S.A. on a

single entry visa, returning to the U.S.A. after a visit of

max. 30 days to Canada or Mexico.

Passengers travelling to Canada or Mexico for stays of 30 days

or less must For details, click here

- A passenger may enter the U.S.A. with a valid visa in an

expired passport, provided: For details, click here

Minors:

- Children, up to/incl. 15 years of age, excluding nationals

of the USA and nationals entitled to travel under the U.S.

Visa Waiver Program (V.W.P.), are allowed to travel on their

parent's passport. A person included in the passport of

another may not use the passport for travel unless he/she is

accompanied by the bearer.

Additional Information:

- Passengers not having proof of sufficient funds for length

of stay For details, click here

Warning:

- Non-compliance with entry/transit requirements will result

in:For details, click here

CHECK TINEWS/N1 - SCHENGEN: NEW VISA CODE, EFFECTIVE 5

APRIL 2010

Just wondering how going through Guam was?

Scott, Congrats again on Mhay getting the pink slip. I purchased ticket for my Finacee using Continental leaving the Philippines-Guam-Hawaii-Houston,Tx-Louisiana for May 3rd. I flew that same route when I left the Philippines last Nov 09. It is a good flight.Clearing Guam Immigrations was quick and painless. No one is in the airport at 4:30am in the morning. The only people clearing was the ones on our plane. I decided to fly her on the same route because of my great experience and I have read other post here on VJ pertaining to the best P.O.E IS Guam because most of the Immigrations officers are Filipino and are very nice.

Even after clearing Immigrations I still had 1 1/2 hours before boarding the plane for Hawaii.

Guam does not have to follow the U.S mainland customs rules so yes, she will clear customs in Hawaii which again is quick and painless. I cleared there and still had again about 1 1/2 hour to board for my flight to Houston,Tx.

The other VJ post I read the Filipina's have stated they had no problems with this same flight to Guam.

Thanks...I know my wife is worried about having to do customs as she doesnt want to have to claim her bags, but I told her it was fairly painless to do customs...they even tell you where to put your bag after you go through customs. She was worried about how long she would have to wait in hawaii...like i told her 3 hours isnt that long by the time she gets her bag(s) and goes through the customs line, drop her bag back on the conveyor, and go to her next flight..she would only have about an hour or hour and a half way after that.

For our Full timeline

event.png

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I know an agency in Manila that can help you with the ticket going to anchorage, i worked in this agency for 7 years but im in amarillo tx now with my husband. You can call and look for SHE or MINA at 525-7393. JOS travel & Tours is the name of the agency. They'd be happy to assist you.

Hi! I've been to this route last dec.and guam is an easy POE.No worries. Regarding customs in hawaii, it's better to have enough time like 3 hrs before the next flight rather than what i been through before only an hour and 45 mins layover and i've been exhausted to do all stuff like claiming bags,then check in again, xray inspection...gezz!I thought i can't able to catch my next flight. :wacko: But thank's God i did. :D

K1 Visa
Sept.2009 Sent Petition
Oct.2009 Petition Approved
Nov.2009 Visa Recieved
-------------------------
AOS
Feb. 2010 Sent AOS
Mar. 2010 Biometrics
May 2010 Interview
Jun 2010 GC Recieved
-------------------------
Removing of Condition:
Mar.19,2012---------ROC sent
Mar.20,2012---------VSC received signed by D. Renaud
Mar.23,2012---------Check encashed
Mar.24,2012---------NOA1
Apr.19,2012----------Biometrics (Early Bio 4/11/2012)
May 2012 ------------Biometrics redo

Nov.30,2012---------RFE (fingerprint can't read needs to submit police clearance)

May 2013-------------Received Permanent Residence Card

00bor6fe477d3.png

Thanks for the information. I am having my wife's friend check on prices too. I guess she has contacts at a travel agency in manila too. I am hoping to have Mhay's ticket bought tonight.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Why not go non stop manila to Los Angeles then to Alaska

Because LAX sucks to do as a POE...and there is not a direct flight from LAX to anchorage...she will have to stop in seattle first IIRC. And the price!!! I would be looking at $2500 or more for a one way ticket like that. Going through guam and hawaii makes the ticket a little over $1000.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have these route too last Dec. 2009 with one of my fellow VJ. Our POE is Guam and the people there are very nice...you can even speak to them in Tagalog...most of them i think are Filipino so it's a convenient. We had three layovers... Guam, Hawaii and Houston... i was a nice trip.

Well, I bought the ticket this morning. Mhay will fly on 8 May. Mhay's friend said that she did talk to her friend and said that was a good price. the only thing with buying online...she will have to pay the 1620 Php travel tax too at the airport. It does suck though...her one way ticket is only about $200 less than my round trip ticket to visit her in Feb. It was definately cheaper to buy a one way ticket for her though....round trip would have been like $18-1900. So, now we wait.

For our Full timeline

event.png

The Wait will be all worth it!!! May 9th will give you time to get the house in order... Good luck to both of you and wish you both many years of Happiness!good.gif

Yeah I hope I will have it in order...my room is still a mess because of my 2 trips to the PI and my deployment. I havent gotten everything put away yet. Guess I have to get busy :whistle:

For our Full timeline

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Because LAX sucks to do as a POE...and there is not a direct flight from LAX to anchorage...she will have to stop in seattle first IIRC. And the price!!! I would be looking at $2500 or more for a one way ticket like that. Going through guam and hawaii makes the ticket a little over $1000.

Non Stop from Manila to LAX is about $900.00 or less Direct flight from LAX to Anchorage on either Alaska Air or American is $248.00 and as a POE my wife got though it in about 45 minutes

xl91yv7f.png

I still got the other flight less than that...$1130 with $55 travel insurance. I have been through LAX and I never want to go through there again. How much of a layover would be at LAX?? that is what I was looking at. Taking the route through guam and hawaii she only has a 2 hour layover in guam and 3 hour layover in hawaii. Also if I was to book going through LAX I would have to book both tickets separately...didnt want to deal with that. thanks for the info though.

For our Full timeline

event.png

also looking at alaskan airlines there are no direct flights to anchorage from LAX. She would still have to change planes in seattle. She would also have to spend the night in LAX if I was going to fly her that way. I was just looking for the least stressful way to send her. She will be nervous as it is. At least with Guam as the POE there will be filipos there and customs in Hawaii should be decent too.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.