woki1986

Shipping / Air mailing of possessions

29 posts in this topic

I'm pretty muchly packed ahead of time with a few things not in cardboard boxes. At this very moment I have *does a quick count* 13 boxes sat next to me, with the possibility of there being one or two more. I have no idea how much each one weighs - they vary in weight. But they aren't light. 10 of these are 44 x 35 x 22 cm's, the others I haven't measured.

Now, I face a bit of a conundrum. I have been looking around at various options, but I don't know which would be best in terms of sending them on ahead.

I was wondering what others did when they sent things on to the USA. Did you get a cargo crate and ship it (literally) by boat, or did you have it sent through airmail? Also, can anyone recommend a company? Be it shipping, couriered or otherwise?

I dread to think how much sending all of this will cost, however I'm sort of prepared for it costing a fortune.

Here's something it took me awhile to understand when we started looking at shipping and prices.

Air Cargo is based on how much weight you add to the plane. Shipping on a boat is based on how much space you take up in one of those big ship containers.

Imagine you have two boxes 12x12x12. One is filled with feathers and the other with rocks.

On a plane, the feather box will ship cheaper and the rocks will be costly. On a cargo ship, the boxes will cost the same because they take up the exact same space.

Your boxes will have a certain weight maximum because of the guys loading and unloading. You are supposed to be already in the US to receive your things if you follow the customs rules. You are not charged duty for household goods more than one year old when you immigrate. I believe that's part of the reason you are actually supposed to be there to receive your goods so it's not like you're just mailing things to America free of customs duty. You need an itemized list of the contents of your boxes for customs and there are multi-page forms to fill out for customs/import/export (whatever). You need values for the itemized list if you want the carrier to insure your goods. (Some people have done all of these things differently, but I'm just summarizing the basics of the real rules as I learned them.)

There's a shipping thread for the UK forum called "Yes, it's another shipping thread." I'll post if later if nobody comes up with it. And my husband shipped 13 boxes (like yourself) and I'll look up our cost later and come back. Time to make coffee right now. :)

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

If you have lots of heavy boxes, I would recommend sending by ship.

But be warned. When I sent one huge box that way, I was told I wasn't able to track it like I would be able to via air. I said that would be fine as it doesn't matter when the stuff gets there, as long as it does. I was told it would take 4-6 weeks. Well 3 months after my arrival in the US, I was sent a piece of the box with a message saying all of the contents were lost and if I could write down everything that was in it, plus the cost, source and manufacturer they could refund me if they're unable to find it. There was no way I could do that with all of the books and things I had in there, so just counted my losses (quite literally). Luckily there wasn't anything really valuable in there, just books that I wanted to keep from uni, stuffed animals, cosmetics etc.

See if you can get SOME kind of guarantee (like tracking) and make sure you list everything that's in it, including all of the information they might ask you for in the future if something should happen. You have a bit more security with air-mail but it will cost lots. They quoted me about 36 pounds for the box I sent by ship (which I paid 16 for).

I knew I should have done an inventory list. I'll have to go back through it and list everything that's in each box. I'm worried I'll lose them as well. That would be... unfathomable. Thank you for your replies, I'll start working on an inventory list.

I didn't know I'd have to wait until I was there until I sent things. I thought that if I sent them off, say, this week or a bit later on, they'd get there around about the time I would, or perhaps a little before, then I'd be alright.

Edited by MattHeartCass

I'm back. I was wrong. He had 23 boxes full of stuff. He thought it was 2 cu.meters but by the time they put it on a pallet and shrink wrapped it, they said it was 2.5 cubic meters (650 pounds). He paid £1,011.00 and that included insurance and the shipping company built a custom foam lined crate to hold an antique clock that had belonged to his great, great grandfather. The crate was about £90 extra. I don't have the documents on this computer, but I think the insurance was well over half that cost. It is optional and is based on the total value you put on the items. I believe the minimum that company would ship is 2 cubic meters. Well you would pay for 2 cubic meters whether you had that much or not.

We used 1st Move International because we were impressed with how they put everything on a pallet and super wrapped it. And they band & tag it when it's packed so you know it can't be pilfered through without you knowing. See the sequence of pictures across This link. We picked up our own things since we live near the port of Houston, so got to see our actual pallet. It looked just like the last picture and was still sealed with the band they put on it so we know nothing was opened enroute. A guy brought it out on a forklift and loaded it in the pick-up truck. Then because it was so tall, they helped cut it open and stack the boxes in a more reasonable way in the truck. Everything arrived in perfect condition, but we packed carefully and used a lot of bubble wrap on anything fragile. Do fill your boxes so things can't jostle around in free space. If a box seems too heavy full of CDs or books, then half fill it and stuff some t-shirts or jeans to fill up the empty space.

Here's a link to a document that explains alot about moving your household goods to the US written by the Customs and Border Protection. It is a 35 page word document and is where I learned a lot of information http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsroom/publications/travel/moving_goods.ctt/moving.doc

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I'm back. I was wrong. He had 23 boxes full of stuff. He thought it was 2 cu.meters but by the time they put it on a pallet and shrink wrapped it, they said it was 2.5 cubic meters (650 pounds). He paid £1,011.00 and that included insurance and the shipping company built a custom foam lined crate to hold an antique clock that had belonged to his great, great grandfather. The crate was about £90 extra. I don't have the documents on this computer, but I think the insurance was well over half that cost. It is optional and is based on the total value you put on the items. I believe the minimum that company would ship is 2 cubic meters. Well you would pay for 2 cubic meters whether you had that much or not.

We used 1st Move International because we were impressed with how they put everything on a pallet and super wrapped it. And they band & tag it when it's packed so you know it can't be pilfered through without you knowing. See the sequence of pictures across This link. We picked up our own things since we live near the port of Houston, so got to see our actual pallet. It looked just like the last picture and was still sealed with the band they put on it so we know nothing was opened enroute. A guy brought it out on a forklift and loaded it in the pick-up truck. Then because it was so tall, they helped cut it open and stack the boxes in a more reasonable way in the truck. Everything arrived in perfect condition, but we packed carefully and used a lot of bubble wrap on anything fragile. Do fill your boxes so things can't jostle around in free space. If a box seems too heavy full of CDs or books, then half fill it and stuff some t-shirts or jeans to fill up the empty space.

Here's a link to a document that explains alot about moving your household goods to the US written by the Customs and Border Protection. It is a 35 page word document and is where I learned a lot of information http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/newsroom/publications/travel/moving_goods.ctt/moving.doc

Thanknk you very much for your extensive explanation and hunting down of info :)

I've been spending the evening making my inventory list. By my (crude) calculations - that is weighing myself and then me with the box in my hands, the heaviest box is 38 lb's. Everything else is less than that. I might well level that out with some half boxed t-shirt jobs, as you suggested. I might even take an extra suitcase to narrow it down further. My folks are going to be coming out to us in July for the wedding... that's another two suitcases.

I'll have a look at your links now :)

I'm hoping it's going to be less than £1,000. Although if it isn't, I'll just have to deal with that.

Thank you so much for your continued assistance.

Thanknk you very much for your extensive explanation and hunting down of info :)

I've been spending the evening making my inventory list. By my (crude) calculations - that is weighing myself and then me with the box in my hands, the heaviest box is 38 lb's. Everything else is less than that. I might well level that out with some half boxed t-shirt jobs, as you suggested. I might even take an extra suitcase to narrow it down further. My folks are going to be coming out to us in July for the wedding... that's another two suitcases.

I'll have a look at your links now :)

I'm hoping it's going to be less than £1,000. Although if it isn't, I'll just have to deal with that.

Thank you so much for your continued assistance.

The price Nich indicated for shipping the quantity her husband brought over isn't bad at all. It sounds as if you have less.

From the way she describes the packing method, it sounds as if her husband "shared" a container with others. This method can be quite cost effective and safe.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

The price Nich indicated for shipping the quantity her husband brought over isn't bad at all. It sounds as if you have less.

From the way she describes the packing method, it sounds as if her husband "shared" a container with others. This method can be quite cost effective and safe.

I've emailed two companies - Seven Seas and Atlantic International Movers.

Seven Seas actually called me and left a voicemail to ask where I wanted the boxes shipped from and to! (I was kind of asleep though due to researching until 3am...). That's customer service for you.

Atlantic International said not to worry about an inventory list, as they'd be checking everything for me. I don't like the thought of someone going through my things. Just as well that I've already done one.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I hadn't run across their name before, but I like them! The video on the website about how they pack and palletize explained a lot about how this stuff fits on the boat and how it doesn't get mixed up with other people's things. I requested a quote. Did you take advantage of the rebate on the boxes you can order from their "prefered partner?" We don't have a car, so getting a hold of boxes has been a challenge.

-Jenny

Our Timeline:

September 30, 2007 - I joined a country music website that he ran

March, 2008 - Started chatting online

October 15-27, 2008 - I came to the UK to visit, got engaged during surprise trip to Paris

February 14, 2009 - Married in Virginia

February 28, 2009 - Passport with new name arrived

March 3, 2009 - Biometrics appointment, Fed-Ex'd Spousal VISA package to courier

March 5, 2009 - Courier delivered to Embassy in LA

March 6, 2009 - VISA approved

March 7, 2009 - VISA in hand, bought airline ticket

March 8, 2009 - Arrived in U.K.

October 2009 - Decided to move family to the US

November 6, 2009 - Mailed I-130 to London

November 10, 2009 - NOA1

December 24, 2009 - NOA2

January 6, 2010 - Packet 3 received

January 13, 2010 - DS-2001 mailed

January 25, 2010 - Medicals completed

April 16, 2010 - Interview - It's a YES!

June 7, 2010 - Move to Virginia!

http://jennysadventuresinengland.blogspot.com

March 29, 2011 - Husband walked out on our marriage

April 29, 2011 - Husband moved himself and the children to Wyoming to be with the best woman from our wedding, who he'd only met the one time, at our wedding

December 14, 2011 - Divorce finalized

I hadn't run across their name before, but I like them! The video on the website about how they pack and palletize explained a lot about how this stuff fits on the boat and how it doesn't get mixed up with other people's things. I requested a quote. Did you take advantage of the rebate on the boxes you can order from their "prefered partner?" We don't have a car, so getting a hold of boxes has been a challenge.

I tried 1st Move and put an email across to them, however they indicated that they'd need to consult their agents in Seattle, and haven't got back tome since. (Some 3 days ago.)

I got an email from Seven Seas a matter of hours after sending them one, and it's been an ongoing correspondence. They even called me! After a few hiccups we've got somewhere. By air the quote is £484, by sea £900. It's apparently something to do with the space involved. I'd have a container and even though I wouldn't be filling it, I'd have to pay for it.

There were a few hiccups with typos in the email and a completely wrong figure. I sent over the measurements and weights of every single box, and they said one of my boxes would cost £200 odd pounds... eek! I emailed back and pointed it out (and the fact that another box of the same weight and size wasn't this much) and they corrected it.

I'm actually considering taking with me exactly what I'll want/need first of all, then having everything else shipped out later on. Even if it's a single box or I cram it all into my two suitcases.

Although the suitcases would already have clothes and what not in it.

Timeline

I tried 1st Move and put an email across to them, however they indicated that they'd need to consult their agents in Seattle, and haven't got back tome since. (Some 3 days ago.)

I'm actually considering taking with me exactly what I'll want/need first of all, then having everything else shipped out later on. Even if it's a single box or I cram it all into my two suitcases.

Thanks for letting me know how they were with you. I had thought we'd go with Upackweship, but then I contacted Pickfords and their estimate with them packing was within £200 of the pack it ourselves place. I moved here a year ago and just brought two suitcases with me. Now we're moving my husband and two children to the US. We've gotten rid of almost everything, are only taking a desk and boxes with us. In fact, if it wasn't for the desk, I'd probably go with a DHL's cheaper alternative, I forget the name right now.

The most frustrating part for me (right now) is getting boxes. A year without a car and that is my biggest frustration with not having a car, go figure! We don't have anyone here in England that could keep our stuff for us, so we've got to send it before we leave. We've still got about 8 weeks, so I'm hopeful. I'm really impressed with what we've already tossed and packed up.

Edited by Hokie97

-Jenny

Our Timeline:

October 15-27, 2008 - I came to the UK to visit, got engaged during surprise trip to Paris

March 3, 2009 - Biometrics appointment, Fed-Ex'd Spousal VISA package to courier

November 10, 2009 - NOA1

December 24, 2009 - NOA2

April 29, 2011 - Husband moved himself and the children to Wyoming to be with the best woman from our wedding, who he'd only met the one time, at our wedding

Thanks for letting me know how they were with you. I had thought we'd go with Upackweship, but then I contacted Pickfords and their estimate with them packing was within £200 of the pack it ourselves place. I moved here a year ago and just brought two suitcases with me. Now we're moving my husband and two children to the US. We've gotten rid of almost everything, are only taking a desk and boxes with us. In fact, if it wasn't for the desk, I'd probably go with a DHL's cheaper alternative, I forget the name right now.

The most frustrating part for me (right now) is getting boxes. A year without a car and that is my biggest frustration with not having a car, go figure! We don't have anyone here in England that could keep our stuff for us, so we've got to send it before we leave. We've still got about 8 weeks, so I'm hopeful. I'm really impressed with what we've already tossed and packed up.

That's quite a turn around... going back the other way. How were you with raising your kids here by the way? Fiance's said to me if we ever have kids, they're being raised here in the UK. (I disagreed because I hate our system... but she knows best ;))

Mm. It's surprising what you find and realise what you can live without. Well I've got a few spares... I don't know how I'd get them to you, mind. Is there anyone you know that might be able to get hold of some for you?

Seven Seas also do boxes... Not sure if you'd need to go with them before you get the boxes however. Otherwise check with removal companies and see if you can get some delivered.

Timeline

That's quite a turn around... going back the other way. How were you with raising your kids here by the way? Fiance's said to me if we ever have kids, they're being raised here in the UK. (I disagreed because I hate our system... but she knows best ;))

Mm. It's surprising what you find and realise what you can live without. Well I've got a few spares... I don't know how I'd get them to you, mind. Is there anyone you know that might be able to get hold of some for you?

Our original plan was to stay here about four years, I'd get British citizenship, all that. But then we had an offer in the US that we could not refuse. My kids are my step kids (husband is a widower) and they are 12 and 14, so I can't really give an insight into raising kids here. Other than to say that I do regret that if we have kids I won't have the social groups that they have for parents here. England seems like a nice place to have small children. But as far as education, I can't wait to get the kids to the US. I know part of it that I just don't understand the system here, and I've had my husband, the kids, and their teachers try to explain it to me. I don't know how kids learn with no homework and tests where the grades don't matter.

I parted with a lot of things before moving here, but kept the basics that I could store at my parent's house for the eventual move back. Wish I'd kept more now, but we've got enough to furnish our place. My husband has come a long way in his ability to part with things, I am so proud of him. What I am most amazed by is the kids. At first they didn't want to leave anything, but after talking with them and explaining (what it's taken me years to understand) that memories aren't things. We told them, if you want to keep this the rest of your life (or at least until you live on your own), we'll take it with us. But if you're never going to read that book again, or wear that favorite shirt, if you're not going to display that trinket, how much do you really love it? Love it, use it, wear it were our mottos. If it's going to sit in a box for years, leave it. It really worked for us.

The company I contacted today has a special with boxes, you have to buy them, but then they take the price off in the end. I know we'll get a hold of enough, it's just the not being able to drive up to a store and take them away. You really take that for granted when you don't have to worry about it.

-Jenny

Our Timeline:

November 10, 2009 - NOA1

December 24, 2009 - NOA2

Our original plan was to stay here about four years, I'd get British citizenship, all that. But then we had an offer in the US that we could not refuse. My kids are my step kids (husband is a widower) and they are 12 and 14, so I can't really give an insight into raising kids here. Other than to say that I do regret that if we have kids I won't have the social groups that they have for parents here. England seems like a nice place to have small children. But as far as education, I can't wait to get the kids to the US. I know part of it that I just don't understand the system here, and I've had my husband, the kids, and their teachers try to explain it to me. I don't know how kids learn with no homework and tests where the grades don't matter.

I parted with a lot of things before moving here, but kept the basics that I could store at my parent's house for the eventual move back. Wish I'd kept more now, but we've got enough to furnish our place. My husband has come a long way in his ability to part with things, I am so proud of him. What I am most amazed by is the kids. At first they didn't want to leave anything, but after talking with them and explaining (what it's taken me years to understand) that memories aren't things. We told them, if you want to keep this the rest of your life (or at least until you live on your own), we'll take it with us. But if you're never going to read that book again, or wear that favorite shirt, if you're not going to display that trinket, how much do you really love it? Love it, use it, wear it were our mottos. If it's going to sit in a box for years, leave it. It really worked for us.

The company I contacted today has a special with boxes, you have to buy them, but then they take the price off in the end. I know we'll get a hold of enough, it's just the not being able to drive up to a store and take them away. You really take that for granted when you don't have to worry about it.

Mm, I know what you mean on possessions. I went through the last of my things and I got rid of a heck of a lot. It's my first move away from my folks... I've always gone around with them, so things have all been in the same place.

Mum gave me the same advice, 'If you aren't going to need it in the future, get rid of it.'

I'm the same with the US schooling system... that doesn't make any sense to me really... We used to have homework and we continued having that until I left college at 18. Admittedly the homework in that case was assignment work, but it still had to be done one way or the other.

I'm having a bit of a connundrum with my electronic items... I've got my Wii, games and a stack of DVD's that I'd like to take along when I fly - It's something I'd be getting use out of. However I don't think I dare put it in my suitcase... and I don't know if I can put it in my carry on. (I've also got all of my immigration stuff in it, it's pretty full.)

I know that sounds a bit trivial, but when you've got a stack of boxes that is essentially 'your life' that you're leaving behind until further notice (and that's ok,) taking some things that you're going to be getting use out of - clothes, a few books, dvd's, a console and so on... Is it really trivial?

I was debating on putting it into a red royal mail box and sending it to Cass (fiance) however as it's my stuff, would that be prohibited? I'd have to send it to arrive after I do, still? And also... electrical items and all of that in a box... It's why I'd rather carry it with me on the plane, at least I Know it won't get damaged on the way.

Oh and something else that confused the heck out of me. I was looking at Iceland Air (the company I'm flying with) and they said not to put medication or x-ray plates in your checked baggage. If you put an x-ray through an x-ray machine (which it would be if it's in a carry on bag) it would screw it up, wouldn't it?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.