abcspaceships

Lost green card before oath ceremony

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I know you have to bring your residency card (green card) with you when you take your oath, but what happens if you've lost it or had it stolen? Do they not let you receive your citizenship even if you've passed your interview and everything? For what purpose do they take your card? Just so you don't have it anymore? Because if that's so, me not having it is taken care of by the dickhead who took my wallet...

I've actually getting mixed answers on other sites. One person said that they just make you sign a paper saying you lost it or something at the oath ceremony. And another person says you have to file for one. But I really don't get the filing for one again. If your alien registration number is void after you become a citizen why would I need to pay 300 and something dollars for a card that is going to be void in less than 50 days?

Also, does anyone happen to have the service center number for the uscis place in Miami? I keep searching for it online but all I can find is their address, not their phone number.

Thanks, if anyone can help!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
I know you have to bring your residency card (green card) with you when you take your oath, but what happens if you've lost it or had it stolen? Do they not let you receive your citizenship even if you've passed your interview and everything? For what purpose do they take your card? Just so you don't have it anymore? Because if that's so, me not having it is taken care of by the dickhead who took my wallet...

I've actually getting mixed answers on other sites. One person said that they just make you sign a paper saying you lost it or something at the oath ceremony. And another person says you have to file for one. But I really don't get the filing for one again. If your alien registration number is void after you become a citizen why would I need to pay 300 and something dollars for a card that is going to be void in less than 50 days?

Also, does anyone happen to have the service center number for the uscis place in Miami? I keep searching for it online but all I can find is their address, not their phone number.

Let me know how it goes. In my case, they stapled it to a form that they gave me right at the entrance and then you have to return it to an officer before they give you your Cert. of Nat.

Don't forget to post how it goes.

USCIS Journey

I-130 Filed: 04-01-2009

NOA1: 04-09-2009

I-130 Approved on Nov 19, 2009

NVC Journey Dec. 2009

Dec 4: wife's case was entered at NVC

Jan 08: Sing in failed......wow thanks GOD. Jan 11: CASE COMPLETE TOTAL TIME 24 BUSINESS DAYS OR 38 CALENDAR DAYS FOR CASE COMPLETE.

Feb 5: Interview date scheduled. Interview on March 23, 2010

Embassy Journey 1.0

March 23, 2010: Interview date. Wife placed on AP, Baby required new birth cert.

April 21, 2010: Wife out of AP she needs to get an approved I-212 from USCIS, Baby birth cert. issue resolved.

I-212 Waiver @ USCIS Journey

May 10, 2010: Filed form I-212

Sept. 9, 2010: I-212 Approved

Embassy Journey 2.0

Sept. 22, 2010 New Interview date.

Sept 22, 2010 VISA APPROVED.

Waiting for visa to arrive at Cali-Colombia.

First of all..if you had you wallet stolen, i would contact the police and report it, then they will give you a crime number...take this police report to the uscis...info pass or have it at hand if you call them on the phone..

also if there is anything in your wallet that somebody can use....such as D/L SSN ect?

If so get in contact with the above....ASAP..

Ok....now call or get a info pass and tell the uscis of your status....they might just let it be or ask you to get a new card before your interveiw..or even give you a temp document to get you through the oath....

But either way you must contact them before your oath date.....

Keep us posted dude..

Best wishes..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Definitely make that police report. Recall reading the USCIS either requires it or highly recommends it, don't recall which.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

When I filed for US citizenship I told them that I had lost my green card and they didn't say anything about it. But I'm sure I should've field some sort of police report, or some'n. :whistle:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Timeline

Thank you guys! I will definitely file a police report about it. I've contacted them already, but seems I cant do it over the phone. But yes, great idea, I will definitely file it before I go to the info pass appointment. Hopefully I wont have to apply for a new one, but if it comes down to that then of course I will.

My SSN info was definitely not in there (its, under the mattress, phew). I had two debit cards, college ID, my green card and a bunch of business cards. Canceled my cards, of course, getting new ones pretty soon. But as for SSN info and the like... Nothing really important in there besides the green card.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and wishes. I'll keep updating!

Thank you guys! I will definitely file a police report about it. I've contacted them already, but seems I cant do it over the phone. But yes, great idea, I will definitely file it before I go to the info pass appointment. Hopefully I wont have to apply for a new one, but if it comes down to that then of course I will.

My SSN info was definitely not in there (its, under the mattress, phew). I had two debit cards, college ID, my green card and a bunch of business cards. Canceled my cards, of course, getting new ones pretty soon. But as for SSN info and the like... Nothing really important in there besides the green card.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and wishes. I'll keep updating!

You need to get a police report ASAP. Immigration takes this very seriously, since most people are fraudulent. You may not be allowed to take the oath if you are not able to show immigration that you truly lost your green card. All the best with this.

• 5 years later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

I just faced the same situation, and went to the immigration office, they told me to file a police report and bring it to the oath ceremony with me, at the oath ceremony i will have to sign a sworn affidavit and present the police report, that should be it, but make sure you are not lying about the loss if the GC because people do it just so they can sell it or do other shady things. They told me if you are ever caught you will be in big trouble, and if you find it later make sure to mail it in to them.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

It is 450 dollars for a replacement and takes 3-5 months. My wife threw her 10 year card in the garbage accidentally - I researched about going through the citizenship process without the green card and was also seeing different advice. In the end we just decided to get a replacement card and push off starting the citizen process a few months down the road after the new green card arrived.

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.