Brad and Vika

Bringing MIL on tourist visa

29 posts in this topic

My wife and I are talking about bringing her mother for a visit next year, and back again (temporarily) when we eventually start having kids. Father in law will stay in Ukraine, and she owns property there. Also, she just applied for a foreign travel passport (separate from her domestic Ukrainian passport/papers). Our initial questions are:

1) Given her situation above, what are MILs chances of approval the first go-round?

2) What can we do to help?

3) Will the newness of her foreign travel passport harm her chances?

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
My wife and I are talking about bringing her mother for a visit next year, and back again (temporarily) when we eventually start having kids. Father in law will stay in Ukraine, and she owns property there. Also, she just applied for a foreign travel passport (separate from her domestic Ukrainian passport/papers). Our initial questions are:

1) Given her situation above, what are MILs chances of approval the first go-round?

Brad

I have no personal experience with this yet, but, those I have talked to have had good luck once the Ukrainian applicant had an LPR relative in the US. Most that I know have submitted an invitation and an I-134 to the applicant for her to use at the interview. Though such things do not, theoretically make a difference, I think they do.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Brad

I have no personal experience with this yet, but, those I have talked to have had good luck once the Ukrainian applicant had an LPR relative in the US. Most that I know have submitted an invitation and an I-134 to the applicant for her to use at the interview. Though such things do not, theoretically make a difference, I think they do.

Brad,

I've been curious about it too, we'd like to bring Nadiya's over for a little while during the Holidays. From what I've read, it won't make a difference whether or not you send an I-134. The visas are issued based on the applicant's own merits. Althought I personaly think that I-134 from me wouldn't hurt. Let us know if you find out more info.

Enjoy the trip and say hello to Vika for us.

Joe.

K1

09/11/08 - I-129F Sent
09/16/08 - I-129F NOA1
02/06/09 - I-129F NOA2
02/13/09 - NVC Received
04/06/09 - NVC Left
04/09/09 - Embassy Received
05/18/09 - Interview Passed/Visa Approved
05/21/09 - Visa Received (picked up at Fedex in Kiev)
05/28/09 - Entered U.S. via JFK
05/29/09 - Applied for SS#
06/08/09 - SS# Received in the mail
06/12/09 - Applied for a Marriage License
06/19/09 - Wedding Day
07/03/09 - SS# under new name received in the mail

AOS/EAD/AP
07/27/09 - I-485, I-765 & I-131 Sent
07/31/09 - Package arrived in Chicago
08/03/09 - NOA for all 3 forms
08/27/09 - Case transferred to CSC
09/02/09 - Biometrics appointment - Done
09/03/09 - EAD touched
09/04/09 - AOS touched
09/14/09 - AP & EAD approved - Card Ordered
09/18/09 - AP Received in the mail
09/21/09 - EAD Card received in the mail
09/25/09 - AOS Approved
09/29/09 - Green Card Sent
10/02/09 - Green Card Received.
12/18/09 - Got my Drivers License.

ROC
06/27/11 - I-751 Sent.
07/01/11 - NOA.
08/15/11- Biometrics appointment.
03/17/12- ROC Approved - No Interview.

Naturalization
01/21/15 - N-400 Sent

04/15/15 - Became a US Citizen

Brad,

Nadiya is smacking my hands here and saying that according to the Embassy's website you'd have to send an invitation letter to your MIL. I personaly haven't read it, however after Nadiya finishes the pancakes (breakfast time here), I'll take a look at their website and post more info here.

Actually I found it pretty quick...(from the Embassy's site).

http://kiev.usembassy.gov/visa_visatypes_tourist.html

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS AND THEIR ORDER

• General Application Package
  • A letter of invitation explaining the nature of applicant's business in the U.S. and the nature of the relationship between the inviting party and the applicant is helpful. It can be written in any form (e-mail, Word document). It is not necessary for this letter to be notarized, and affidavit of support is not required.

<A name=a2><A href="http://kiev.usembassy.gov/visa_visatypes_tourist.html#p0">Back to Top

Edited by Joe & Nadya

K1

09/11/08 - I-129F Sent
09/16/08 - I-129F NOA1
02/06/09 - I-129F NOA2
02/13/09 - NVC Received
04/06/09 - NVC Left
06/19/09 - Wedding Day

AOS/EAD/AP
09/03/09 - EAD touched
09/04/09 - AOS touched
09/25/09 - AOS Approved

ROC
06/27/11 - I-751 Sent.
07/01/11 - NOA.

Naturalization
01/21/15 - N-400 Sent

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My wife and I also want to bring her mother over from Ukraine!! It's a small world huh? We plan on sending and affidavit as well just to be on the safe side. It's very easy to fill out and it only took a couple minutes for my bank to pull up all the financial info and notarize it. We are also going to book the flight in a couple days and send the confirmation to her just so the embassy knows she'll be expected to arrive and return on specific dates. Right now airline prices are the lowest in years and we found a nice one for around $500, whereas it cost me around $1200 to go there last 2 times.

I'll keep an eye on this post and keep ya'll updated. Best of luck!

Andy

Thanks for the responses everybody. I take it these visas are good for 90 days?

If I'm not mistaking, a B-1 is a multi-entry visa and it's valid for 10 years (maybe 5), at POE they'll stamp her I-94 with the length of time (a specific date) she's allowed to stay in the U.S. uninterrupted. It's generally between 1 to 6 months.

Hope it helps.

:thumbs:

Joe.

K1

09/11/08 - I-129F Sent
09/16/08 - I-129F NOA1
02/06/09 - I-129F NOA2
02/13/09 - NVC Received
04/06/09 - NVC Left
06/19/09 - Wedding Day

AOS/EAD/AP
09/03/09 - EAD touched
09/04/09 - AOS touched
09/25/09 - AOS Approved

ROC
06/27/11 - I-751 Sent.
07/01/11 - NOA.

Naturalization
01/21/15 - N-400 Sent

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

visa could be single entry or multi entry....

validity period of up to 6 mos for a single entry and up to 10 years for a multi

authorized entry periods can be granted by the CBP for up to 6 mos.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Most of the several couples I have talked to, actually all of them, have received 5 year multi-entry visas for their family members. And when visiting they are usually given 90 days though one said her mother asked for 6 months and got it. NONE report any problems in getting the visas and ALL gave an invitation letter and I-134, though as stated officially, that doesn't matter. It also doesn't hurt or cost anything.

If my MIL ever decides she wants to visit, we will do this with her, so far no interest. Besides when I go there I fix things in HER flat. I am her "Solnyshko" ans she wants me there fixin' and carryin' and lifting heavy things. :lol:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Thanks again for the information guys. To clarify, the visa can be single or multiple entry (I presume you she would apply for one or the other), and the length of stay is at the discretion of the officer at POE (or is it the embassy)? And another item that seems vague in the link Joe sent is how long after the visa is granted does she have to actually use the visa? The e-literature makes a big deal about length of validity and length of autorized stay being different - but defines neither.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline
Thanks again for the information guys. To clarify, the visa can be single or multiple entry (I presume you she would apply for one or the other), and the length of stay is at the discretion of the officer at POE (or is it the embassy)? And another item that seems vague in the link Joe sent is how long after the visa is granted does she have to actually use the visa? The e-literature makes a big deal about length of validity and length of autorized stay being different - but defines neither.

CBP officer at the POE not the embassy establishes length of stay...

You never have to use a visa...

validity of the visa is the length of time a visa can be used

authorized stay is length of time able to stay inside the USA... A visa may have a 10 year validity and can be used multiple times... but no one stay will be authorized for more than 6 mos. at a time

YMMV

authorized stay is length of time able to stay inside the USA... A visa may have a 10 year validity and can be used multiple times... but no one stay will be authorized for more than 6 mos. at a time

Thanks - so her visa can be used any time during its period of validity. I see you saying up to ten years, but what is typical for a first timer?

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

Thanks - so her visa can be used any time during its period of validity. I see you saying up to ten years, but what is typical for a first timer?

I have seen (& heard) that Kiev will issue a 6 mos validity, single use visa the first time... then 10 yr multi's after that... Gary's been saying that some he has come in contact with are getting 5 yr multi's the first time through... I have not seen that... but my info is about a year old...

YMMV

I have seen (& heard) that Kiev will issue a 6 mos validity, single use visa the first time... then 10 yr multi's after that... Gary's been saying that some he has come in contact with are getting 5 yr multi's the first time through... I have not seen that... but my info is about a year old...

Great - gives us some worst case info. in terms of how soon MIL has to come. I will pass it along.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Here's an update on my end. Airline prices are going up pretty fast so we're debating whether or not to go ahead and get the plane tickets or wait until the visa is granted. The tickets aren't completely refundable but they can be changed into a credit for 1 year if we cancel the flight. My wife will be having a baby around July 8th so we want her mom to come for 6 months. Hopefully we will get the 6 month visa rather than the 3 month visa.

One question i have is whether the invitation letter should be in English so the embassy can read it or in Ukrainian so her mom can read it? I guess we'll send both.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.