UmmSqueakster

this is the end...

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

...of our elaborate plans, the end...

Nearly 9 years ago, I was a college sophomore, attending a small liberal arts university in the middle of a corn field in Indiana. I was miserable and spent a lot of time online, chatting with people from all over the world. My ICQ friends list was long and I thought nothing of adding a young man from Egypt to the mix.

Months passed, ICQ friends came and went, but he stayed.

I transferred to the University of Wisconsin, Madison, and was much happier, but we kept talking.

In August of 2003, my Grandmother drove me to the bus stop in Madison, where I boarded a bus to O'Hare. 20 hours later, I landed in Cairo.

Hands shaking, I found my bags and looked through the crowd for a face that had become so familiar. He wasn't there. My heart sank. Then I heard a voice call, "Jen!" And there he was! He had convinced the security guard to let him stand right next to the door, away from the crowd.

Fast forward, October 2005. A flight was scheduled to arrive at Minneapolis Saint Paul International Airport at 5:00 p.m. I left work at 3:00 and was there very early. I drank way too much coffee and paced the airport hallway.

When he finally arrived, coming down the escalator, my heart leapt. He wore his gray suit and was carrying his briefcase. We embraced, and drove off into the crisp Minnesota sunset together.

Of course, there is no such thing as happily ever after in real life. Or at least I haven't found it yet. Over the years, we've had our fair share of arguments and difficulties. Moving to the US isn't easy. Leaving behind your family, your friends, your job, your culture, your life, it takes it's toll.

And here we are now, in August of 2009. 8 years and 11 and a half months from the day we met online and 6 years nearly to the day that we met in person. Today, my husband has his United States passport in his hands. At his citizenship ceremony a few weeks back, the judge who officiated their oath talked about how these new citizens need not leave their countries, cultures and religions behind them. Rather, they should bring it with them and create their own unique american experience.

I am happy to say that today, the United States has one more Muslim American in their midst (take that DS!). Alhamdulilah, Allah (swt) has granted us the blessing of living in this country together.

So now, this is the end of my visa journey my friends. With the coming of Ramadan, I am hoping to pull back from technology a bit, or at least the message board aspect of it. I haven't been sucessful doing so in the past, but in case I suceed this time around, I can still always be reached via my blog (points to link in signature).

Best of luck to those who are still in their visa journey. I hope that you continue to ride the roller coaster, have the time of your lives and end up with the one you love.

Salaam.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i honestly thought something negative would come out but it's nice and may you have more blessings and a happy marriage :) take care always

Luke 18:27 Jesus said" what is impossible to men is possible with God."

Philippians 4:13 I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.

03/02/09-k-1 visa starts

09/09/09-K-1 visa approved

10/24/09 - WEDDING

11/09/09 - AOS

02/25/10-GC approved

08/26/10-319B n400 starts

11-09-10 Interview 10 AM >Approved

11-09-10 oath 2 PM Fairfax, VA

All glory, praises, thanksgiving and admiration belong only to God.

Jeremiah 29:11 "for i know the plans i have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you¬ harm you, plans to give you hope & a future"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

wonderful! thanks for sharing your story with us :)

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You're such a tease!

Congratulations to you both to finally be at the point we all yearn for.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww that was really sweet! I hope that the future brings you many more wonderful years with your DH ensha'allah. know that we'll always be around here if u ever wanna pop in from time to time.

(F) amal (F)

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congratulations! It's great to read about the success stories.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My goodness girl, you totally scared me with that title! I am so happy for you and certainly hope you don't become a stranger. I've learned so much from you and see you as my mentor of sorts. Congrats to your hubby!

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Ya Allah ya Rahma.....like Terrie, you scared me girl!! MashaAllah, I am so happy for you and AbuS. Al7amdullilah this journey is over, although there are many journeys yet to come in your life. This journey we have all gone/going through show us that Allah (swt) never give us more then we can handle. May all of us on this journey "end" the same.

You will certainly be missed around here, especially in the Islamic thread. I always enjoy reading your post. I have to say I am lucky in that you live in the Twin Cities with me and so someday (when life doesn't get in the way) we can get together for lunch like we planned. InshaAllah we can connect during Ramadan or one evening for iftar. Anyhow...barak allahu feeki sis.

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

congratulations, and enjoy the rest of life's journey :dance:

Give Generously, Live Fully, Laugh Often, Love Completely...AND PRAY ALWAYS!!!

He is home!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.