• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello all,

First, I must apologize for my long absence. Right or wrong, it was one of my coping mechanisms during these past months waiting for my husband's expungement. I hope all are doing well and I'll be doing some catchup on the board this weekend. Thanks to those who have kept in touch. I'm very pleased to have an update on my husband's case; his expungement was finally processed last week and he received his police certificate today! Our packet will finally go out next week.

For those who expressed interest in the process, I'll briefly share our experience...

I'll say right off that we followed the process of the Jamaican government and paid no one off (perhaps it may have gone faster if we had, but we had concerns that would only bring trouble). We originally applied in March and in July his eligibility was approved by the Ministry of Justice. He then had to provide reference letters and apply for a police certificate and fingerprints. For some reason this background check took a long time. After both of us calling persistently, we finally got the name of a woman in charge of the expungement department and she was incredibly helpful in getting his paperwork tracked down and presented to the justices for approval. The justices approved it on 10/22, we were notified on 10/23, told the expungement letter was ready on 10/26, and my husband picked up the letter on 10/27; he needed to take the letter with him when he applied for his police certificate. The rest from here was standard procedure and he picked up the certificate today. Apparently that area of Kingston was, in his words, a "gun war", so he opted not to fedex from there as we planned. Of course this is Jamaica and there's not a Kinko's on every corner, so I told him just to wait until Monday and go to Ochi, he'd been running around enough.

So that's my story. Hoping the worse is over and that maybe he'll be able to come home around our anniversary in January. I haven't been checking timelines or anything, guess that'll be one of my first catchup items!

Sam

Yardies,

My excitement about our recent NOA2 is quickly being deflated. We've had a potential issue looming over our heads regarding a 1999 marijuana conviction my husband had in Jamaica; we was over 18. He served 3 months in prison and has had no other criminal issues. When we first researched what we needed to do for immigration, I naturally was concerned about this. Two immigration attorneys I spoke with both said a 10-year-old, 3 month conviction wouldn't be a problem.

Now as I'm reading the ineligibility requirements (for the upteenth time!) I'm really getting worried. It seems this could flat out make him ineligible, no hope! We're looking into getting the conviction expunged, but the Jamaican ministry site says this could take 6 months, and the immigration site seems to indicated that even an expunged record will still show up for immigration purposes.

Are we totally screwed??? :crying: Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Sam

01/19/2009: Married in Jamaica

02/27/2009: I-130 mailed

03/09/2009: NOA1 received

04/03/2009: NOA2 received

04/20/2009: NVC case number assigned

04/24/2009: DS-3032 & 864 Bill

04/24/2009: DS-3032 emailed

04/27/2009: 864 fee paid (ACH)

05/01/2009: 864 package received

05/06/2009: IV bill received (never been so happy to get a bill!)

05/06/2009: IV bill paid (ACH)

05/07/2009: 864EZ package mailed

11/04/2009: DS-230 package mailed (finally got our act together!)

11/12/2009: DS-230 received by NVC

11/23/2009: Case Complete!

11/30/2009: Received interview appt. letter

01/13/2009: Interview date

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hello all,

First, I must apologize for my long absence. Right or wrong, it was one of my coping mechanisms during these past months waiting for my husband's expungement. I hope all are doing well and I'll be doing some catchup on the board this weekend. Thanks to those who have kept in touch. I'm very pleased to have an update on my husband's case; his expungement was finally processed last week and he received his police certificate today! Our packet will finally go out next week.

For those who expressed interest in the process, I'll briefly share our experience...

I'll say right off that we followed the process of the Jamaican government and paid no one off (perhaps it may have gone faster if we had, but we had concerns that would only bring trouble). We originally applied in March and in July his eligibility was approved by the Ministry of Justice. He then had to provide reference letters and apply for a police certificate and fingerprints. For some reason this background check took a long time. After both of us calling persistently, we finally got the name of a woman in charge of the expungement department and she was incredibly helpful in getting his paperwork tracked down and presented to the justices for approval. The justices approved it on 10/22, we were notified on 10/23, told the expungement letter was ready on 10/26, and my husband picked up the letter on 10/27; he needed to take the letter with him when he applied for his police certificate. The rest from here was standard procedure and he picked up the certificate today. Apparently that area of Kingston was, in his words, a "gun war", so he opted not to fedex from there as we planned. Of course this is Jamaica and there's not a Kinko's on every corner, so I told him just to wait until Monday and go to Ochi, he'd been running around enough.

So that's my story. Hoping the worse is over and that maybe he'll be able to come home around our anniversary in January. I haven't been checking timelines or anything, guess that'll be one of my first catchup items!

Sam

Yardies,

My excitement about our recent NOA2 is quickly being deflated. We've had a potential issue looming over our heads regarding a 1999 marijuana conviction my husband had in Jamaica; we was over 18. He served 3 months in prison and has had no other criminal issues. When we first researched what we needed to do for immigration, I naturally was concerned about this. Two immigration attorneys I spoke with both said a 10-year-old, 3 month conviction wouldn't be a problem.

Now as I'm reading the ineligibility requirements (for the upteenth time!) I'm really getting worried. It seems this could flat out make him ineligible, no hope! We're looking into getting the conviction expunged, but the Jamaican ministry site says this could take 6 months, and the immigration site seems to indicated that even an expunged record will still show up for immigration purposes.

Are we totally screwed??? :crying: Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Sam

Sam first of all congrats and you did the right thing now you can move on with no clouds over your head :thumbs::dance: I hope you get your interview date soon :thumbs:

02/04/10 Case complete

02/08/10 Interview scheduled

03/12/10 Interview

03/18/10 POE

03/22/10 applied for SSN

04/01/10 received SSN

04/05/10 received welcome letter dated 03/30/10 :)

04/08/10 Card Production Ordered!

04/13/10 Approval Notice Sent! :)

04/15/10 Second Welcome Letter dated 4/8/10?

04/19/10 Card received!! WOOHOO!

loveshower.gif046314001268967245-final.gif

Removing Conditions Timeline (I-751)

2/11/12 Sent

2/14/12 Delivered

2/15/12 Check Cashed

2/15/12 NOA 1

2/21/12 NOA Received by mail

2/27/2012 Biometrics Notice received

3/13/2012 Biometrics

11/6/2012 RFE

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hello all,

Sam

Wow, such a long journey (F)

God Bless you Sam, I pray you are united with your husband soon (L)

Thank you for sharing your story!

Hello all,

Sam

Yardies,

Sam

That's great news. Wish you and your husband nothing but smooth sailing from here on out.

Den's Wifey

Removal of Conditions Journey

03/30/2012-I-751 sent to Vermont Service Center (USPS Priority Mail w/delivery confirmation)

04/02/2012-Packaged arrived at Vermont Service Center-Signed by D. Renaud

04/05/2012- check cashed

04/07/2012- Recvd NOA in mail dated 04/03/2012

05/14/12-Biometrics Appointment- Completed

12/31/12-Production of card ordered text/email

mjnrabxt.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.