Eshansmommy

International Birthcertificate not accepted?!?!

21 posts in this topic

:wacko: Hey!

I was not happy to get the mail out of my mailbox today... I received a "request for initial evidence". They want a translation of my birth certificate. I just find this strange, because I had attached both my original birth certificate and an international birth certificate (which was in English), and now they want a translation of my original birth certificate. So just a warning on people that planned on doing the same...

I feel a little sad and disappointed, but it's nothing major I guess. Hopefully I can find someone to translate it this weekend and send it back on Monday. I only have to send my original and the copy back, right?

And another question it says "request for initial evidence"... does that mean I will get more of these letters???

Should I send it back with Fed Ex again?

How long till I send it back till they start working on my case again? If I send it in within the week, will it only have a one week delay?

Thanks so much!

My timeline:

11-20-2008: AOS (I-485 & I-130) Package sent.

11-24-2008: Package received at 1.36pm and signed by JCHYBA.

12-04-2008: AOS Check was cashed!

12-05-2008: I-130 Money Order was cashed!

12-08-2008: Received my 3 NOA's and letter for biometrics

12-19-2008: Received RFE and another letter for biometrics

12-22-2008: Sent response to RFE back

12-26-2008: Biometrics appointment! -canceled due to holidays-

01-02-2009: Response to RFE received and case is resumed

01-13-2009: Second biometrics appointment - DONE YAY!

01-26-2009: APPROVAL of EAD!!!!!! YAYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02-04-2009: Received EAD card in mail and applied for SSN - Picked up SSN day after!

02-06-2009: Passed written test, got driver's permit!

02-10-2009: Received my SSC

03-20-2009: Interview! - RFE

04-14-2009: Brought the requested document to the immigration office.

05-02-2009: Received our 3rd RFE.

05-11-2009: Brought the requested document to the immigration office.

05-27-2009: Received green card YAY Thank you God

04-04-2011: Sent in I-751 Removal of conditions

07-08-2011: Approved!

07-14-2011: Received Permanent Resident Card! WHOOOOO HOOOO we are done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you GOD!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was not happy to get the mail out of my mailbox today... I received a "request for initial evidence". They want a translation of my birth certificate. I just find this strange, because I had attached both my original birth certificate and an international birth certificate (which was in English), and now they want a translation of my original birth certificate. So just a warning on people that planned on doing the same...

I feel a little sad and disappointed, but it's nothing major I guess. Hopefully I can find someone to translate it this weekend and send it back on Monday. I only have to send my original and the copy back, right?

And another question it says "request for initial evidence"... does that mean I will get more of these letters???

How long till I send it back till they start working on my case again? If I send it in within the week, will it only have a one week delay?

Thanks so much!

If you are competant in both languages then you can do it yourself....

RFE's are possible at any time and though not the norm, people have received multiple RFE's.... Nothing is certain until a decision is reached

YMMV

And another question it says "request for initial evidence"... does that mean I will get more of these letters???Not necessarily.

Thanks so much!

We got the same RFE (Birth Certificate Translation) and were using an International BC (same as you) - we copied the front and back (back has some 'translation codes') and sent it back to them (with a short note: "International Birth Certificate - translated into many languages - including english") and they accepted it just fine. I recommend you do the same. :thumbs:

Edited by Karin und Otto

And another question it says "request for initial evidence"... does that mean I will get more of these letters???Not necessarily.

Thanks so much!

We got the same RFE (Birth Certificate Translation) and were using an International BC (same as you) - we copied the front and back (back has some 'translation codes') and sent it back to them (with a short note: "International Birth Certificate - translated into many languages - including english") and they accepted it just fine. I recommend you do the same. :thumbs:

Oh Glad to hear Im not the only one.. So you just sent the same thing back, but with the note? I'd be scared to get another RFE.... what if I do both, a translation of my original one and the international again with the note like you suggested?

I read that you can't translate it yourself, but you can have someone else do it. Well I'm fluent in both languages, so I can translate it, but I think I need someone else to sign it, so I need a friend or family member who is fluent in both English and Dutch as well.

My timeline:

02-04-2009: Received EAD card in mail and applied for SSN - Picked up SSN day after!

07-14-2011: Received Permanent Resident Card! WHOOOOO HOOOO we are done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you GOD!

Oh Glad to hear Im not the only one.. So you just sent the same thing back, but with the note? I'd be scared to get another RFE.... what if I do both, a translation of my original one and the international again with the note like you suggested?

I read that you can't translate it yourself, but you can have someone else do it. Well I'm fluent in both languages, so I can translate it, but I think I need someone else to sign it, so I need a friend or family member who is fluent in both English and Dutch as well.

We sent the same thing back to them (same thing we sent to begin with) - including copy of back of certificate since it has some 'translation codes' - along with the note explaining it is an international birth certificate and includes translations for English and many other languages - I also highlighted the English parts.

For some reason this is not an uncommon RFE when submitting an international BC - you do not need to translate it, it's already translated in like 20+ languages.

:thumbs:

Edited by Karin und Otto

Oh Karin & Otto

I was just looking at your time line and you sent it back the next day and you received your approval for EAD still within the 3 months, right?!?!! Okay, you are giving me a lot of hope! Lol!

My timeline:

Oh Karin & Otto

I was just looking at your time line and you sent it back the next day and you received your approval for EAD still within the 3 months, right?!?!! Okay, you are giving me a lot of hope! Lol!

No problem neighbor... :thumbs:

Timeline

For USCIS purposes, if you meet the qualifications to sign the "certification" you can do it yourself...

YMMV

For USCIS purposes, if you meet the qualifications to sign the "certification" you can do it yourself...

But it's not needed at all for an international BC.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

"Initial evidence" is to be submitted with the petition. All they are saying is that what you submitted is insufficient to begin processing the case. If you comply fully, any future RFE would be for "additional evidence" but that's unlikely.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Geburtsurkunde_Vorderseite.gif

Example of German-issued International Birth Certificate...

oh wow, mine looks completely different.... and i just checked again, it doesn't have anything on the back..

Mine doesn't have a lot information on it, just the main questions (name, sex, date of birth) in 20 different languages and the answer. That's it. But why didn't they see that the first time, I'm really hesitant to just send it back...

My timeline:

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Geburtsurkunde_Vorderseite.gif

Example of German-issued International Birth Certificate...

oh wow, mine looks completely different.... and i just checked again, it doesn't have anything on the back..

Mine doesn't have a lot information on it, just the main questions (name, sex, date of birth) in 20 different languages and the answer. That's it. But why didn't they see that the first time, I'm really hesitant to just send it back...

Don't send back what they rejected. Translate the full certificate you got in your native language. They need what some jurisdictions refer to as a "long form" birth certificate that contains all the information about parents etc.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

But it's not needed at all for an international BC.

not my point... I was responding to the "I read that you can't translate it yourself...."

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

EVERYBODY, thank you so much for all your input and help!

I think I'll just do both to be on the safe side.

Should I send it with a private carrier (signature required)?

And should I attach the RFE letter to my translation and b.c.? Or would a cover letter or note be enough?

My timeline:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.