Tankgurl38

Canadianisms

79 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Don't even get me started on the tea. It seems people here think that "tea" is a lipton, single cup tea bag cooked up in a microwave.

I had to buy my FIL a kettle and tea pot. Then I had to go online and buy 6 boxes of PG tips because you can not find tea bags for a tea pot anywhere here. They are only single cup and terrible tasting.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
Weird how we can have the same restaurant chain and have the food taste totally different. I find their McDonalds tastes a little bit different too.

Nah, not really. It is probably a supplier issue. Wendy's supplier in Canada is probably different than the US supplier. Also things tend to be tweaked to the country's taste preferences.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Borrowed from another thread:

How to Talk With a Canadian Accent

I particularly like Step #4. :lol:

Actually the one step about finishing off a senctance with "the eh?", I have always noticed a lot of Canadians always end their sentances raising their voice like it is a question and not a statement even without the eh? thing. That always was curious when I hear it and even when I lived there it would always stand out.

Not sure if it's the need for the other part to reassure them that they are listening or if they're just unsure about their own statements. I just thought that was kind of funny.

I just watched a video on my old hometown newspaper's webpage and the young kids talking were doing just that...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Love the list!

Things I didn't know were exclusive to Canadians but come to think of it, I now recall they use a different term here:

-brown bread

-icing sugar

-whipping cream

-Smarties

-serviette

-washroom

-keener

-Caesar - this one got me bad the first few times. No one understood what I meant by Clamato. Clam juice??? Ew, Canadians are weird!

-I am a weather conversationalist and proud of it

-my husband is from NY and they say "on line" instead of "in line" while we say a "lineup" instead of a "line"

I think I can change everything on that list to the Americanized version but the EH is ingrained in me. I don't think I am ever able to lose the "eh."

I asked my husband before if he thought I spoke funny and he said not at all, in fact, I enunciate my words very well, and that might throw people off at times, depending on which part of the USA we are at.

Filed: Other Timeline

There's Clamato juice down here now, but I don't know if Americans know what to do with it ;)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

I was never a big fan of Wendy's in Canada, having only eaten there a couple of times and not enjoying it at all. Funny enough, there are no Wendy's in St. Louis. Wendy's went bankrupt here in 2006, closing 51 stores in the St. Louis area. I just read the other day that Wendy's has now been bought out by Arby's.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

I don't like Wendy's or Arby's. If I ever go to Wendy's I usually just get a salad. Hate their burgers :P

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Timeline
Actually the one step about finishing off a senctance with "the eh?", I have always noticed a lot of Canadians always end their sentances raising their voice like it is a question and not a statement even without the eh? thing. That always was curious when I hear it and even when I lived there it would always stand out.

Not sure if it's the need for the other part to reassure them that they are listening or if they're just unsure about their own statements. I just thought that was kind of funny.

I just watched a video on my old hometown newspaper's webpage and the young kids talking were doing just that...

Ugh. That drives me batty. I've noticed it in both the US and Canada. Just can't get away from it. lol

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

B)-->

QUOTE(Team J and B @ Sep 30 2008, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Love the list!

Things I didn't know were exclusive to Canadians but come to think of it, I now recall they use a different term here:

-brown bread

-icing sugar

-whipping cream

-Smarties

-serviette

-washroom

-keener

-Caesar

Actually remember Smarties are exclusivly British that eventually made it's way to the other Colony countries (Canada, Australia etc)...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
There's Clamato juice down here now, but I don't know if Americans know what to do with it ;)

We have it here as well. I also found Beefmato Juice- I had never noticed that in Alberta before. I bought some and it made a really yummy Caesar.

Filed: Timeline

We have it here as well. I also found Beefmato Juice- I had never noticed that in Alberta before. I bought some and it made a really yummy Caesar.

Interesting. I've never seen that. Would make a good breakfast drink, I'm thinking. :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Half of my university degree is in linguistics. The raising of the voice at the end of the sentence is actually a derivative from the French language. It's actually a very annoying pattern of speech which makes you think you are asking a question when in fact you are making a statement.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Interesting. I've never seen that. Would make a good breakfast drink, I'm thinking. :lol:

I prefer the Beefmato over the Clamato. It has a nicer flavour to it. I think I am going to pick some up today and make one for me and hubby when he gets home.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.