Teacher Mark

Evidence Of A Bonafide Marriage

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I believe it is still necessary. What you may have read is that they don't expect as much from newlyweds. We sent in wedding and vacation photos, airline boarding passes, hotel and vacation receipts, insurance beneficiary forms, and most importantly, our marriage certificate. Our I-130 and I-129F petitions were approved without any RFEs.

Good luck,

CG

Married: June 11, 2007 - San Andres Isla, Colombia

I-130

7/27/2007 - Sent I-130 Package to TSC*

7/30/2007 - Received by TSC

8/28/2007 - NOA-1 date - CSC

3/19/2008 - NOA2 date -CSC

I-130 held by USCIS for future AOS

I-129F

7/27/2007 - Sent I-129F Package to TSC*

8/30/2007 - NOA-1 - Fee waived

3/19/2008 - NOA2

4/3/2008 - Received by NVC

4/10/2008 - Received by embassy

4/11/2008 - Faxed packet 3 forms to embassy

4/30/2008 - Appointment date assigned

6/19/2008 - Appointment at Bogota Embassy - APPROVED!!!

No touches except when I called CSC directly to inquire.

8/28/2008 - POE Houston

Still being lazy and waiting to do AOS.

*I-130 and I-129F sent together to TSC per USCIS instructions.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
I believe it is still necessary. What you may have read is that they don't expect as much from newlyweds. We sent in wedding and vacation photos, airline boarding passes, hotel and vacation receipts, insurance beneficiary forms, and most importantly, our marriage certificate. Our I-130 and I-129F petitions were approved without any RFEs.

Good luck,

CG

Thanks. I don't know why I was thinking it wasn't.

Timeline

Things can get pretty confusing, but it helps tremendously to have VJ. As I mentioned, they are not as demanding with newlyweds because you probably won't have home loans, bank accounts, etc. The most important thing is your marriage certificate. I also printed a bunch of photos 4 to a page with captions on a color laser. If you have some pics of the two of you, then include some. Also, any kind of proof showing your visits to see your spouse can't hurt. However, these travel proofs are not required as in the case of a K-1 fiance visa.

A good idea would be to post your table of contents for your petition packages before you send them(minus personal details). Other members can look at it and might spot anything you may be missing. I did this before I sent off my petitions and it helped catch a few minor issues.

Good luck,

CG

Edited by ColombianoGringo

I-130

I-129F

3/19/2008 - NOA2

8/28/2008 - POE Houston

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Things can get pretty confusing, but it helps tremendously to have VJ. As I mentioned, they are not as demanding with newlyweds because you probably won't have home loans, bank accounts, etc. The most important thing is your marriage certificate. I also printed a bunch of photos 4 to a page with captions on a color laser. If you have some pics of the two of you, then include some. Also, any kind of proof showing your visits to see your spouse can't hurt. However, these travel proofs are not required as in the case of a K-1 fiance visa.

A good idea would be to post your table of contents for your petition packages before you send them(minus personal details). Other members can look at it and might spot anything you may be missing. I did this before I sent off my petitions and it helped catch a few minor issues.

Good luck,

CG

Newlyweds who've never lived together usually have little in the way of additional evidence of bona fides at petition filing. Most fall into the "anything else you think..." category. I wouldn't lose sleep over obtaining affidavits from people who know little if anything about your relationship except they attended a party.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Yep. The affidavits seem kind of pointless. I wouldn't waste my time with them unless you have nothing else to send.

What are they going to write ? "I can attest that they are all kissy-faced with each other and they giggle a lot." ;-)

pushbrk, What were the results of your informal survey about this topic? I recall your post asking about those who sent nothing beyond the marriage certificate.

I-130

I-129F

3/19/2008 - NOA2

8/28/2008 - POE Houston

Timeline
Yep. The affidavits seem kind of pointless. I wouldn't waste my time with them unless you have nothing else to send.

What are they going to write ? "I can attest that they are all kissy-faced with each other and they giggle a lot." ;-)

pushbrk, What were the results of your informal survey about this topic? I recall your post asking about those who sent nothing beyond the marriage certificate.

Many sent nothing but the marriage certificate. No RFE's yet and its been several months. Many approvals.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Many sent nothing but the marriage certificate. No RFE's yet and its been several months. Many approvals.

That really doesn't surprise me. The interview is the place that I would expect evidence to be asked for/presented.

Thanks for the replies all.

• 2 months later...
Things can get pretty confusing, but it helps tremendously to have VJ.

Perhaps a dumb question... but what is a VJ??

Timeline::

5 February 2006 - Met in France

9 February 2006 - Started dating

July 18 2007 - Deanne moved to Brazil

21 June 2008 - Civil Marriage in Sao Paulo, Brazil

23 June 2008 - Filed I-130 at US Consulate Sao Paulo, Brazil

8 August 2008 - Instructions for DS-230 received from embassy (Combined NOA2/ Packet 3)

20 October 2008 - DS-230 sent to US Consulate

23 October 2008 - DS-230 received by US Consulate Rio de Janeiro

17 December 2008 - Interview!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
Things can get pretty confusing, but it helps tremendously to have VJ.

Perhaps a dumb question... but what is a VJ??

Back in the early '80's it was Matha Quinn and Nina Blackwood. Now it's the site your posting on, VisaJourney. Not trying to be a total smart ### but that was too easy to pass on.

Good Luck with your journey.

Edited by Longbranch

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Is this still required for the I-130? I thought I saw on here that it wasn't but it is still listed in the checklist here. Thanks!

We didn't send anything in except our marriage certificate and we were approved with no RFE's. That may be because they were trying to reach a quota and rushing or that they didn't really need it. Err on the side of caution unless you really don't have anything. We knew that we would have joint bank accounts by the time they came around to asking for it, but they never did.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: France
Timeline
Is this still required for the I-130? I thought I saw on here that it wasn't but it is still listed in the checklist here. Thanks!

We didn't send anything in except our marriage certificate and we were approved with no RFE's. That may be because they were trying to reach a quota and rushing or that they didn't really need it. Err on the side of caution unless you really don't have anything. We knew that we would have joint bank accounts by the time they came around to asking for it, but they never did.

We over did it then, joint banking/savings accounts, joint credit cards, joint utility bills, life insurance on each other, and our French phone contract," I got for her to use while here". I hope she put in marriage certifcate!!! Need to make phone call quickly!!

Edited by Paris' Husband

Mohand Akli

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We just submitted our marriage license and a few emails over the course of our 1 1/2 yrs together before we got married. After that everything was fine. I doubt we even needed to send in the emails but thought that since I had them, why not send them. Granted I'm also born and raised in Canada and that's not a country that they are concerned about ensuring if marriages are real or not. I know in Canada there was a recent article in the Toronto Star talking about fraudulent marriages topping the list in India, Thailand and China. Canadian immigration officials have noticed that in India there are the same people seen over and over and over again in wedding celebration photographs. The article spoke of people renting 'guests' or 'relatives' for fraudulent marriages. An investigation team has now been deployed to those areas to look into things further.

I'm just mentioning this because if you come from an area where there are higher than norm incidents of marriage fraud, then you may want to provide additional documentation/evidence to support your marriage. It never hurts, although I wouldn't go nuts about it. If you come from a european country I doubt it's as big of an issue. It's a shame that some bad apples spoil it for those in legitimate unions.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: France
Timeline
We just submitted our marriage license and a few emails over the course of our 1 1/2 yrs together before we got married. After that everything was fine. I doubt we even needed to send in the emails but thought that since I had them, why not send them. Granted I'm also born and raised in Canada and that's not a country that they are concerned about ensuring if marriages are real or not. I know in Canada there was a recent article in the Toronto Star talking about fraudulent marriages topping the list in India, Thailand and China. Canadian immigration officials have noticed that in India there are the same people seen over and over and over again in wedding celebration photographs. The article spoke of people renting 'guests' or 'relatives' for fraudulent marriages. An investigation team has now been deployed to those areas to look into things further.

I'm just mentioning this because if you come from an area where there are higher than norm incidents of marriage fraud, then you may want to provide additional documentation/evidence to support your marriage. It never hurts, although I wouldn't go nuts about it. If you come from a european country I doubt it's as big of an issue. It's a shame that some bad apples spoil it for those in legitimate unions.

My wife "Paris Heart" even submitted emails from the very first day we talked, and she even submiited all our paperwork and the translation invoices of when we tried to marry here in France. Its hard for foreign nationals to marry here in France, Im myslef is Algeria living here and going to school. She submitted so much evidence the envelope weighted 3 pounds. She submitted all of it, and with her job, she is the last person to try to pull off a fraud of any kind. But thank you for what you mentioned. It is a shame of a few bad apples spoil it all for us legitimate ones.

Mohand Akli

Timeline

My wife "Paris Heart" even submitted emails from the very first day we talked, and she even submiited all our paperwork and the translation invoices of when we tried to marry here in France. Its hard for foreign nationals to marry here in France, Im myslef is Algeria living here and going to school. She submitted so much evidence the envelope weighted 3 pounds. She submitted all of it, and with her job, she is the last person to try to pull off a fraud of any kind. But thank you for what you mentioned. It is a shame of a few bad apples spoil it all for us legitimate ones.

People who've never lived in the same country usually don't have any of the "should include one or more of the following..." kind of evidence. If you have it, send it. If you don't, then don't worry about it until the interview.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.