iceyspots

Sending THE Visa...

291 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi

I was wondering if anyone on here sends money to their SO overseas regularly. I was considering sending money to Yacine by Western Union.. I sent $450 in January, and it costed me $50 to send it.. Now I was going to send $100 and the rate jumped up to $35 !!

Then I was considering getting Yacine a pre-paid debit card (... under my name with an extra card for him...) but not many convenient places accept credit/debit cards in Algeria. Has anyone considered trying them? The western union one says that you can re-load money at any western union location in the U.S.

I was wondering if anyone has had them and/or what kind of experience they've had

:luv:

Edited by iceyspots

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Have you tried using paypal, my fiance and I found that was the easiest, because the fees are very low, and the money only took a about two days to go through.

K-1

Jason- KY, USA

Chelaine- ON, Canada

30/03/05 Met online

24/08/05 Visited for the first time in Canada

19/02/06 Visited for the second time in Canada

1/05/06 Got engaged =)

2/05/06 Found out we were pregnant

18/08/06 GOT MARRIED!! (AB)

06/06/06 Chelaine visits KY

6/01/07 Our son was born :)

28/12/07 Jason comes to Canada

05/05/08 Jason becomes homesick

10/05/08 Chelaine finds herself at visajourney.com

28/07/2009 Jason gets his permanent residence

28/08/2009 Our daughter was born :)

love98.gif

Timeline
dayum you send your fiancee money? its supposed to be the other way around.

I have no problem sending him money. I'll see it all when he comes back. He'll be supporting me through the next couple years of school (the program is intense and I cannot work during it). It's not a large sum of money anyways, ever heard of sharing?

my fiancee just sent me a decent amount of money, but only had to pay a £14 fee. we sent the money directly from his english bank account to my american one. best and cheapest way, and the money is there instantly. forget wire transfers and paypal. just go to your bank and ask how you can do it and what info you'd need.

Edited by rockamandy

K-1

I-129F Sent : 2006-3-30

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-4-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-4-14

Packet 3 : 2006-4-28

Medical : 2006-6-26

Recall Letter : 2006-6-26

Case reopened : 2006-7-10

Touched : 2006-7-11

RFE update : 2006-7-12

Touched : 2006-7-13

RFE received : 2006-07-17

RFE sent back to VSC : 2006-7-17

RFE received by VSC : 2006-7-20

Touched : 2006-7-21

Touched : 2006-7-24

Touched : 2006-7-25

Touched : 2006-7-26

Re-Approved! : 2006-8-04

Touched : 2006-8-06

Sent by NVC : 2006-8-10

Embassy receives : 2006-8-17

Packet 4 : 2006-8-26

Interview : 2006-9-08 APPROVED

Enter U.S. : 2006-10-04

Married : 2006-11-05

AOS

AOS & EAD applications sent : 2006-12-11

NOA1 : 2006-12-21

Touched : 2006-12-27

Biometrics Appt. : 2007-1-06

RFE Received : 2007-1-08

RFE sent back : 2007-2-22 (delay was due to planning a big reception in mid-Feb)

Application for EAD approved : 2007-03-26 (card received about a week later)

Application transferred to CSC : end of March 2007

Touched at CSC : 2007-04-27

RFE Received for new medical info : end of July 2007

RFE sent back : beginning of August 2007

Touched at CSC : 2007-8-31

Touched at CSC : 2007-9-05

Card Production Ordered : 2007-9-06

Welcome Letter Sent : 2007-0-07

TWO YEARS OFF!

Filed: Timeline

I have no problem sending him money. I'll see it all when he comes back. He'll be supporting me through the next couple years of school (the program is intense and I cannot work during it). It's not a large sum of money anyways, ever heard of sharing?

:no:

its the other way around! I would never pay for some man.

shon.gif

Timeline

So that means if your husband comes to America and doesn't immediately have a job, you're going to leave him ?

So that means if your husband comes to America and doesn't immediately have a job, you're going to leave him ?

My husbands pride is too thick to beg any woman for money! He insists on paying for all things.

shon.gif

agreed. if you're both willing to support each other, does it really matter? my money is his and his is mine. he supported me for a year and a half while i was living with him, and i'll do the same for him when he is living here and waiting for legal work. :thumbs:

K-1

I-129F Sent : 2006-3-30

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-4-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-4-14

Packet 3 : 2006-4-28

Medical : 2006-6-26

Recall Letter : 2006-6-26

Case reopened : 2006-7-10

Touched : 2006-7-11

RFE update : 2006-7-12

Touched : 2006-7-13

RFE received : 2006-07-17

RFE sent back to VSC : 2006-7-17

RFE received by VSC : 2006-7-20

Touched : 2006-7-21

Touched : 2006-7-24

Touched : 2006-7-25

Touched : 2006-7-26

Re-Approved! : 2006-8-04

Touched : 2006-8-06

Sent by NVC : 2006-8-10

Embassy receives : 2006-8-17

Packet 4 : 2006-8-26

Interview : 2006-9-08 APPROVED

Enter U.S. : 2006-10-04

Married : 2006-11-05

AOS

AOS & EAD applications sent : 2006-12-11

NOA1 : 2006-12-21

Touched : 2006-12-27

Biometrics Appt. : 2007-1-06

RFE Received : 2007-1-08

RFE sent back : 2007-2-22 (delay was due to planning a big reception in mid-Feb)

Application for EAD approved : 2007-03-26 (card received about a week later)

Application transferred to CSC : end of March 2007

Touched at CSC : 2007-04-27

RFE Received for new medical info : end of July 2007

RFE sent back : beginning of August 2007

Touched at CSC : 2007-8-31

Touched at CSC : 2007-9-05

Card Production Ordered : 2007-9-06

Welcome Letter Sent : 2007-0-07

TWO YEARS OFF!

agreed. if you're both willing to support each other, does it really matter? my money is his and his is mine. he supported me for a year and a half while i was living with him, and i'll do the same for him when he is living here and waiting for legal work. :thumbs:

its ONE sided when this lady is sending HIM money. I would never send some man money!

I do think the marriage contract has a place on there for a dowry for me. I dont rember having to pay one for him .

shon.gif

Timeline

My husbands pride is too thick to beg any woman for money! He insists on paying for all things.

You may like to think that you're insulting me, but in effect you are insulting ANY woman on VJ who has ever sent their husband/fiancé money, and I know many that do. But why is it your focus to call me out, is there something that is bothering you? :D

Yacine doesn't beg. The average job in Algeria obviously isn't the equivalent to the money that we make here in the states.. So.. Given the fact that the medical exam is expensive, sending documents by DHL is expensive (which he's had to send to me twice) 2 x $90, translating documents and paying for the actual visa itself, most of that is out of reach for a lot of Algerians. That's what I'm sending him the money for. In Algeria, one can make the equivalent of $220 per month (that's what his brother makes, around 15,000 DA) and live a comfortable life in Algeria. Could you imagine having to work 3 weeks and spend none of it, just to send 2 documents via DHL? The same amount of money that DHL charged him, he could've bought two months worth of food for his entire family.

But Given the scenario that I gave you, it still did not answer my question. If your husband comes to the U.S. and can't find a job, what are you going to do? You said you would never allow him to to take money from you. So are you going to let him starve, make him walk to job interviews and make him sleep on the porch? Are you going to refuse to allow him to take showers because he has not pitched in on the water bill? Given the current condition of employment in America, this scenario is very likely. MSN just published a report on American students moving back to their parents house because of the fact that the economy is tight right now. Students with bachelors degrees are even having to resort to entry-level service jobs. I know two college graduates who are working a job with their degree and not making much, so they have to take on a second job serving food at a restaurant just to make ends meet. I also know two people here, who have Masters degrees in Engineering, which they completed on their student visa. Well guess what? They are completely stressing out, because there is the time limit immigration gives to them to find a job, and engineering has recently become a pretty competitive field.

Honestly, relationships are reciprocal. He'll support me when I am in school, and when I finish school, I have no problem supporting him while he studies. Relationships are about sharing and support. Many of my professors have done the same! For the female professors, when they were busy getting their degree, their husband worked and helped take care of the children. When the men went to get their degree, their wives took jobs and took care of the kids. That's how you get households with 3 kids, and 2 PhD's. The true relationships that last a lifetime, are about equality, mutual sharing and sticking alongside that other person no matter what, because marriage vows are "till death do us part"... Not.. "till you can't find a job and can't pay for MY selfish needs anymore".

Honestly, could you just leave me alone? Obviously you're following me holding some kind of grudge just because you lack the ability to agree to disagree. If your husband has so much pride, and if he is muslim, or religious in any way, I am sure that you did not tell him you used cuss words (Albeit in a foreign language, but nonetheless, still a cuss word) in a public forum. Your nastiness is beyond belief and honestly, I've recieved many PM's from people saying that you were nasty towards them as well, it's not worth it to respond to you, and that you are racist towards caucasian-americans. Yes, these people are among us, and they wish to remain anonymous due to the fact that you'd probably blow up on them too (or have done so already). I really wish VJ had an ignore feature. Anyways, this is my last response to you. There's no possible way to reason with someone who resorts to foul language, schoolyard remarks, and general immoral behavior. You've wasted enough of my time.

Have a wonderful day.

Edited by iceyspots

here goes when you send money to another country its a good idea to know what your moneys value is worth lets take Morocco. avrage person makes $4,300.00 per year.

thats 359.00 per month. so if you were to send 500.00 to your SO for example every month

he would have 859.00 in his pocket monthly. that is $10,308 per year.

that would make his life style compariable to that of the President of his own country.

the man is living BETTER than YOU. how you like those apples?

source

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/mo.html

shon.gif

I don't understand your logic...so it's ok the other way round??

Anyway...if you are a couple what does it matter whose money it is...sharing your life surely means that doesn't it? :unsure:

Timeline
Anyway...if you are a couple what does it matter whose money it is...sharing your life surely means that doesn't it? :unsure:

yes.. the real relationships that prevail are the ones where there is mutual support, and not the expectations that ONE should ALWAYS pay up.

I don't understand your logic...so it's ok the other way round??

in islam the man is suppose to take care of his wifes $$$$$$ needs. thats why he offers a dowry!

not the other way around! you dont be paying him money.

yes.. the real relationships that prevail are the ones where there is mutual support, and not the expectations that ONE should ALWAYS pay up.

it is an expectaton he takes care of my needs sayes so on the marriage contract.

shon.gif